Writers Strike?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Oh yeah.

It's been going on for awhile now. I heard that David Letterman is paying the salary of each of his writers who are on strike, until the end of the year. Nice thing for him to do.... considering that they all lost their jobs by striking. Not sure about the situation with writers for other shows.

Expect tons of re-runs on T.V.

(Well, except for Reality Shows; since you don't need writers for that).

Monocrom

Flashaholic
.... But really, who watches TV anymore anyway?

Must admit, I do.

I never understood why folks buy tons of DVDs. Just to watch the same movies, over and over again? :shrug:

Buying complete seasons of your favorite shows makes a bit more sense.

But T.V. is the only entertainment medium that offers new episodes of shows, as well as new shows. It's also cheaper than buying DVDs or going to the movies on a regular basis.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Big deal, it's the same old cramp strike or not! Most everything on the tube (+ Cable) is nothing more than rehashed Lucy & Rick. So let them strike, what harm will it do? As for broadway, that's another matter.

chiphead

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Most everything on the tube (+ Cable) is nothing more than rehashed Lucy & Rick. So let them strike, what harm will it do?
I pretty much stopped watching TV from the mid-1970s until we got cable in the late 1980s for exactly that reason. Network TV is dangerous to your brain cells for the most part.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
But really, who watches TV anymore anyway?

Who? Me, that's who, and just about everybody I know! I'm a total....TV-aholic. Heroes, Smallville, Chuck, Reaper, Numbers, Moonlight, CSI (all three of them), Nip/Tuck, Bionic Woman, Pushing Daisies, Journeyman, House...phew, not to mention the seasons of stuff I've got lined up to watch. And then, there are "the channels"--The Learning Channel, Discovery Channel, Discovery Health and Science, H&G, The History Channel, VH1, E, The Food Channel, just to name a few...

I love TV and I'm not ashamed. Funny, when I was a teenager, I hardly ever watched TV and I wore that fact like a badge of honor. Now, it's the other way around.

Anyway, if we get two months of re-runs, it'll just give me time to catch up on stuff, so I'm not worried. My co-worker told me that they had already come to an agreement, but I haven't heard anything (that I consider to be reliable), myself.

Daekar

Enlightened
I like the Discovery Channels, the History Channel... hrmm... well that's about it. Never watch TV anymore though - always makes me angry about injustice and depressed over stupidity. Better to hop on the internet and learn about something useful or interesting than rot my brain IMHO.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I get DVD's for the quality, and archive of classic movies, specials, tv series. I'm not buying into the limited HD coverage, and all the DRM crap and expense of getting that whole setup...and as a result, the resolution of a bazillion shows crammed into a narrow bandwidth straw for cable or satellite just blows.

Using Tivo (with Weaknees.com 300GB upgraded hard drive) lets me record what I want to watch and skip through commercials for when I want some mindless entertainment...which is not supposed to be cerebral. I never have anough hours to watch all the things I record, rent, or buy though. Same with CD's.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea, what we do watch is all TiVO'ed as well. we do have an antenna hooked up to the house that I ran to the TV for local channels. We actually watched the macy's parade over it yesterday morning. The kids couldn't figure out why we weren't fast forwarding through the commercials, I tried to explain that it was "live" I haven't watched commercials in YEARS. The last thing we watched on local network TV were the Tony awards which my wife likes to see. Thats about 2 shows a year... We might watch one more if something exciting happened.

My wife and I have been slowly working our way through the Simpsons seasons on DVD. We've watched 10 seasons in the last couple of years just watching one before going to bed a couple of nights a week. SO much better than trying to catch them on TV reruns. Since we dont watch them all that quickly I can afford to pick up a boxed set every few months.

There are some other things on TV that I might be interested in if I had the time. But I just dont. I spend too much of it actually playing with the kids, working in the shop or actually working ;)

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Writers for tv do give us some entertainment, sometimes a lot, and some of it's pretty good. Writers here on CPF not only entertain, they educate as well. I can only imagine what would happen if some of the more imaginative CPF people wrote for tv, "The Monstorians from the Galaxy of Doom tried to blind the poor Earthlings with their LED rays. The heatsinks in their rayguns, however, couldn't cope with the higher current needed to power their rays through the smog on Earth, and their unprotected batteries..." Well if I've gone nuts, it was the tv that did it.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Writers here on CPF not only entertain, they educate as well. I can only imagine what would happen if some of the more imaginative CPF people wrote for tv, "The Monstorians from the Galaxy of Doom tried to blind the poor Earthlings with their LED rays. The heatsinks in their rayguns, however, couldn't cope with the higher current needed to power their rays through the smog on Earth, and their unprotected batteries..." Well if I've gone nuts, it was the tv that did it.
The truth is I find the Internet more entertaining than TV for the most part, but a lot of that has to do with complete lack of censorship/oversight. Anything people can think of can be posted someplace online. A lot of the problem with TV isn't lack of creative ability on the part of the writers. Rather, I'd say it's the "guidelines/requirements" which come from the top which hurt the quality of programming. For example, if one format, such as reality shows or sitcoms, garners ratings then everyone tries it. If one genre succeeds then there are ten mediocre copycats. And networks will often dumbdown a script if they feel it is too "cerebral". Given all the stipulations, it's a miracle that the occasional decent show manages to be produced.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Just caught Jay Leno's Tonight Show this evening.

It was a replay of a show from June of 1992 !

Very cool and interesting ! :thumbsup:

Tom Hanks was there to promote his new movie,
"A League of Their Own" !

How long has NBC been showing "years-old" reruns of Tonight Show ?

Was this evening the first one they've done ?

Or has this been going on for weeks now ?

Just curious. I find these "time capsules" very entertaining.

:twothumbs

Heck, i'd even like to see a few Johnny Carson shows
thrown in, too !

_

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Must admit, I do.

I never understood why folks buy tons of DVDs. Just to watch the same movies, over and over again? :shrug:

Buying complete seasons of your favorite shows makes a bit more sense.

But T.V. is the only entertainment medium that offers new episodes of shows, as well as new shows. It's also cheaper than buying DVDs or going to the movies on a regular basis.

I bought all six seasons so I could watch Gabrielle worship Xena over and over again...... :crackup:

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
I usually don't like serial shows that I have to keep up with. I watched Prison Break for a while, but I've now completely lost track of what's going on. I'd rather spend an occasional Sunday evening on Simpsons and Family Guy without feeling like I have to see every episode in order to enjoy them. That way, when the writers go on strike and the shows go to reruns, there's a good chance I haven't seen the reruns yet.

BTW, I did some work at Sony Studios in Culver City today, and I saw a bunch of Writers' Guild members picketing at the gate. What's my point? I guess I don't have one. I just wanted to brag about being in close proximity to a newsworthy event for once in my life. :p