AIT Nightstar

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have one? Seems no one ever talked about it here. I bought one two years ago, they were one of the better LED lights back then. It was stashed in the basement and I basically forgot about it. Found it today again while getting tools for tire rotation.

Looking at it today, it's still a pretty cool light. Granted it's a tiny dim LED not even comparable to the latest luxeon, cree. But it's great construction, no battery needed, completely sealed, floats in water, operational in -40 to 55°, and up to 430 ft deep.

This was the original shaker light, lots of knock offs on the market, but none of them come close in performance. It'll probably go back in the basement, but if poop hits the fan one day, I'll be glad I have one. :thumbsup:

If you don't know what I'm talking about:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/ait_nightstar2sc.htm
http://www.appliedinnotech.com/

Last edited:

ki0ak

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I have one as well. Received it as a gift (after specifically asking for it :)) a year or two ago. Likewise, mine stays in the basement mainly forgotten about until the tornado siren goes off. Never have to worry about discharged batteries - shake it a bit and you have light. It's not the brightest, but it always (so far) works.

Along the "green" line, I also have a couple of crank type lights. They seem to take a bit more work to charge, but they are also brighter (multiple LEDs) and include radio receivers. A bit bulkier, as well.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one, I think it is the first edition. Bought it back in 2000 iirc from an online retailer called glow-bug[dot]com. Haven't bought anything from them in years, after they started filling their website up with cheap Chinese garbage lights at inflated prices. Anyway...
My Nightstar has red wire coil and a terrible little 5mm LED. Says patent pending. No other identifyers on it that I can find. Its a bug brute around the size of a 4D Mag. Gosh how times have changed.