Do you guys own/researched digital LCD photo frames?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Digital photo frames, you know the kind you load up with images and in some cases videos and mp3s are becoming more popular and cheaper although surprisingly I can't seem to find a lot of professional reviews on them, other then user comments on Amazon and other sites.

I have been attempting to research 8" digital photo frames which seem to be a sweet spot of price vs. size. A lot of them are online priced in the low one hundreds. The trouble is I went to a local Circuit City to view what they had on display and found quite a bit if differences between image quality between the models on display. On the low end, the images appeared to be washed out and you had to view them exactly head on. The better ones had much more vibrant colors and you could view them more at an angle although no LCD display will allow you to view an image at an extreme angle and still maintain color and clarity. Still there were definitely differences in this regard. Amongst the 8" frames, there appears to be two formats, the 16:9 "widescreen" aspect ration ones and the more tradition 4:3 aspect ratio ones. One frame which looked impressive at Circuit City was the Kodak EX811. Very vibrant colorful, bright images. Unfortunately for me, it was the wide screen format and most of the digital photos I intend to load it up with are of the more conventional 4:3 aspect ratio.

So I really would like to try to find a 8" with the more conventional 4:3 image ratio in which most are 800x600 pixels compared with 800x480 for the 16:9 ratio ones.

By the way in general I think these are great gifts for a loved one, particularly say your older aunt or grandparents which have chosen not to embrace the computer generation. You can load a memory card up with photos and there are many options on how to display them on the photo frame. As mentioned some come with ability to display videos and play mp3s although that is not what I am looking for.

Please share any experiences you've had in such.

Daekar

Enlightened
Well... mine is about a year old (got it last Christmas) and I've been very pleased with it. It has internal memory, reads the JPEGs and MOVs on my SD card (or CF or xD or several others) straight from my camera, has nifty slide-show effects, has built-in USB port, and it takes almost no brain to operate. The screen isn't as large as the one you're talking about though, it's a bit smaller. I can't really tell what brand it is, because it was made in China and I don't recognize the brand logo... so I can't make a specific recommendation. However, I can tell you that I get compliments on it all the time, the picture quality is better than I expected (although probably not as good as what is out there this year), it has adjustable back-lighting... I leave it turned on 24/7 and it's never had a hiccup, which is impressive if you ask me. Anyway, register one very positive experience for digi-frames...