P3D New Q5...Seeing the Light

Confederate

Enlightened
Okay, I've got the original Fenix P3D and am thinking about ordering the new Q5. My questions are, is the old model still available and is the differences in output readily, or obviously, visible in both the high and low modes? Just looking at the lumen ratings isn't enough. Has anyone stepped outside with both lights?

I just got a LumaHunter MRV and am impressed with the throw power. Does the new P3D dump significantly more light right out in front?

Thanks!

Ski Trucker

Newly Enlightened
I upgraded about a week ago and there is a difference. About 40 lumens and OP reflector.

p1fiend

Newly Enlightened
I wasn't blown away by my new P2D, coming from an original L2T w/ CR123 tube.

Granted the P2D is brighter, but from how everyone was raving about it, I guess I thought it would be blinding.

You might notice a difference between the P3D and P3D Q5, but only if you compare the two side by side.

Confederate

Enlightened
Ah, just what I thought. Since the old ones are still selling for about ten dollars less, depending on where you find them, I'm not sure the extra $$$ would be worth it.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would look at Chao's reviews of the p3d vs. the OlightT20Q5 and P3DQ5.... there is a big difference. I just got the new D-mini digital in Q2 and Q5...again a definite difference. If you are happy with your light, you do not need to spend the money. But after owning 3 Q5 lights, I would never step back to lower output bins.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have older 2 L2D-CE one with SMO and the other is OP. Recently i received one L2D-RB100 OP. Ok i know that people are saying it is not worth the extra green for only 10 to 15% increase but i bought it anyway. To tell you the truth it is noticeably brighter than the older L2D-CE(L2D-RB100 feels like running on lithium). For me it was worth the extras and as flashaholic you cant get enough of brightness anyway :) so if you can afford the extra cost go get it or you will be sorry later not buying and keep wondering about the brightness of the newer generation. It is different when being told and experiencing on you own :)

L2D-RB100 looks brighter than P3D-CE if not equal. That makes me wondering about the amount of light the New P3D-Q5 puts out.

thanks

A

Andrew S

The difference between the P3D and the P3D Q5 are very minimal. Most of the added brightness seems to be in the spill beam. If you need a new light get it. If you are looking for a replacement you will be let down.