Can my Fenix L1D use 3.6V lithium batteries?

Kurzon

Newly Enlightened
Some months ago I bought a Fenix L1D Cree, which I love very much as it is the brightest flashlight I've ever owned and fits nicely in my pocket. I noticed on the Fenix website that the P series (eg the P3D) has even brighter output, which I guess is because it uses 3V lithium batteries. I chose the L1D because AA NiMH batteries are easier to find and are rechargeable. Can my L1D work with a 3V lithium AA battery and thus produce more light?

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure about the final word about overdriving the Fenix L1D but IIRC there havnt been any reports of burned lights on 14500 so far.
The main catch is that as long as the voltage is over 3,0V you will bypass the circuit and direct drive the light, so you will only have one level of a light on all the settings, BRIGHT.
Do a search for chevrofreak and runtimes for Fenix L1D and 14500 and you'll also find some runtime graphs.
Cheers.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just be sure not to turn it on and the flashlight should be fine. Humor aside, I'm fairly certain you'll fry the circuit before the LED even has a chance to be overdriven.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO Fenix L1D CE (which I have) shares the head with L2D CE and you can buy a spare 2 x AA body to go with it. I don't see any reason why it should not be able to take a 3 V battery.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1D CE, L2D CE and P2D all use the same head. So unless your using a battery that is not compatible with any of these models you will be fine. This information is directly from the Fenix Store.

If your still not sure, one quick phone call to the Fenix store should answer your questions.

Bill

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, they all use the same head, which is designed for 3.0 volt. If you use a li-ion 3.7V (which most rechargable are) 14500, it will not be regulated, until it hit's the 3.0V mark. So in short, the light will only have one level of output, in all the different modes.

Kurzon

Newly Enlightened
Kewl. This means I won't have to spend $60 on a new flashlight.

Boris

Newly Enlightened
I bought an L1D a long ago.. i have use it with 14500 batteries, but you will loose the diferent modes, only super bright. also, it will take more heat. the L1D and the L2D are the same light. i bought the L2D boddy, for my L1D here.

https://www.fenix-store.com/product...d=278&osCsid=cf50f5e1742733f023c303ece76d15d6

the switch and the head are the same.

Even, the P2d share the same head. but the switch of the P2D is a little ticker (Just a little.
here it is https://www.fenix-store.com/product...d=235&osCsid=cf50f5e1742733f023c303ece76d15d6

mine worked well with 14500, but i don't use them anymore, because i prefer to have the different levels.

I have a rexlight and that one is excellent with the 14500. also the jetbeam.
also, this light looks promising, as i saw in a recent post.
http://www.nitecore.com/pages/whatnew.htm

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
L1D certainly works with 14500 but you loose the modes until the battery drop to 3.7*(?). L1D-RB100 and 14500 really really bright amazing.:twothumbs