Tight Kick!

Dantor

Enlightened
Hey all. I have the Leatherman Kick and have had it for about a year now, and it's still tight to open and close. I've lubed it, worked it like an exercise tool (open-close, open-close) but it's still my hardest to open tool! Forget about one hand opening! Does anybody else have this problem with theirs or any other multi-tool?

Otherwise it's a great (non-tank) multi-tool, tools are very good and because it doesn't have a ton of tools, it's very light and easy to carry. Thx

NeitherExtreme

Newly Enlightened
Hmm... I have a Kick, and I wouldn't say its super easy/smooth to open, but I wouldn't say it's terribly difficult either. What other tools are you comparing it too? I have a Charge that I could "flick" open if I wanted to, but I don't think I could with the Kick because of it's light-weight handles... You could also write an email to Leatherman and ask them if that would be under warranty... Do you think the tension is coming from the screws being too tight, or from the "ramp" on the pliars?

Dantor

Enlightened
these are all my multi-tools;

6wmsm8g.jpg

King Kong couldn't flick my Kick open!

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're bored sometime, sit down and open and close your Kick a hundred or two cycles. Should loosen up. Eventually it will probably get too loose with time. My first Leatherman was one of the old "Mini-Tools" that folds twice, and after more than ten years of use, it is too loose.

Dantor

Enlightened
If you're bored sometime, sit down and open and close your Kick a hundred or two cycles. Should loosen up. Eventually it will probably get too loose with time. My first Leatherman was one of the old "Mini-Tools" that folds twice, and after more than ten years of use, it is too loose.

I actually have done that! watching a movie, for like half an hour or more, several times, I thought that would help but it never has.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yeah, I own one too. Have the same problem. Forget about flicking it open with one hand. (Bought a SOG PowerPlier for that). The tools are definitely stiff to open. I recommend carrying a jumbo paperclip in your pocket if the Kick is your main multi-tool.

I use mine in a small, portable, emergency kit that I put together with very little money. Nothing in the kit is what I'd call high-end.

My original Leatherman Wave was a thing of beauty. I currently EDC a Micra and gave one to my dad as a gift. The handles are far more comfortable on my old, original, Leatherman tool. (Not talking about my original Wave model).

In the open position, the Kick really bites into my hand like my original Leatherman tool never did. Sadly, the Kick isn't a Winner. :(

Any Cal.

Enlightened
First thing to do is find an opening 1/4" wide or so along the edge of an exterior door to the casing, or open a vice 1/4" or so. Then, open the tool and put the opened pliers in the opening. Twist one way, and then the other. Check the action, and maybe do it again, harder if neccesary.
As far as the tool pivots, I used a second leatherman to loosen the tool pivot bolts, as the serrations in the pliers fit perfectly into the tiny ridges on the head.(on my PST)

Dantor

Enlightened
good tips Any Cal, I'll remember that! I've got a Charge Ti coming in and I'll see :)