• Nimh Batteries

Votes: 83 51.6%
  • Other, describe

Votes: 9 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

scuzzy

Newly Enlightened
What type of AA battery do you use with your Led flashlight?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Walgreens Heavy-Duty AA for my Rayovac 3-W and my Foxfury Signature...$5 for 12...with LED's, I figure it doesn't matter on the brand, because the difference in run-time doesn't even compare to the price difference (i.e. Walgreens $5 for 12 vs Energizer $8-$10 for 12)

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sanyo Eneloop, low-self-discharge rechargeable.

In order to get high output from a AA cell (1W or higher reaching the LED) it is necessary to go with either lithium pimary, or rechargeable -- alkaline AA cells can't deliver >1Amp current without really suffering. Considering that I can buy Eneloops for the SAME PRICE as disposable lithium primaries (around $2-2.50), the choice is a no brainer.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I use Walgreens Heavy-Duty AA for my Rayovac 3-W and my Foxfury Signature...$5 for 12...with LED's, I figure it doesn't matter on the brand, because the difference in run-time doesn't even compare to the price difference (i.e. Walgreens $5 for 12 vs Energizer $8-$10 for 12)

Please don't tell me you actually use Heavy Duty batteries? You do know those are carbon zinc crap, not even alkaline?? Your runtimes would be over 2x with ANY brand of alkalines over those.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Low-self-discharge NiMH.
1) Pure Energy pre-charged. C$12
2) RayOvac hybrid. C$14
3) Sanyo Eneloop C$30

Regular NiMH
4) Duracell 2650 mAH

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
my favorite would be my duracell 2650 their capacity is very close to what they advertise.

i'm more of a fan of the higher capacity rather than the low discharge ones since i don't forget to top them off before an activity.
with the higher capacity i have about a 1/3 more runtime in comparison to my eneloops. even if i left a high capacity one around it would probably take a couple weeks before it reach the eneloops capacity.

the nimh batteries i hate is the tenergy ones. advertised for 2600, tested at 2000. :shakehead

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
Walgreens Alkaline Supercells. Usually on sale. I prefer primaries for my flashlights.

I use Eneloops in my digital camera.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
The folks who say they're using "alkaline for good energy density" are kidding themselves if their flashlight draws much current. See the graphs here for example.

c_c

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Enloop NiMH or any LSD NiMH will do the best job for heavy usage (5+ hours of use per week)

For let's say usage of about 5 minutes a week I would prefer Alkalines (more power/energy density over a period of time)

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other:
Low Self Discharge NiMh.
Energy density and voltage are a bit low, but in terms of utility these can't be beat imo.

juplin

Enlightened
Lithium Rechargable for slow loss of charge when not in use, and because of two additional reasons:
lightweight and short recharging time comparing with NiMH.

Windscale

Enlightened
I am in the process of switchng to eneloop 100%. Still got some primaries and non-LSD Nimh to be used up.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sanyo and Rayovac hybrid LSD NiMHs.

Tossed all my old NiMHs (1600mAh era) and my camera is much happier.