My friend says his 1 watt Rayovac flashlights is brighter than my Strion.

Is a 1 watt Rayovac flashlight brighter than my Strion?

• Yes.

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • No.

Votes: 40 81.6%

• Total voters

StrionMan

Newly Enlightened
My friend has a 1 watt Rayocac flashlight that runs off of 2XAA's and he says it's brighter than my Streamlight Strion.

We shot ours both on the ground and he said his appeared brighter but I tried to tell him that was due to his being bluer not brigher..

How could I actually prove to him mine is brighter..?

jugg2

Enlightened
I did not vote, but is this Rayovac flashlight made of aluminum, grayish-blue in color, and with a pocket clip?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Warmer colors generally look brighter, even at the same intensity. So, if you think his looks brighter because it's bluer, it's actually quite a bit brighter then. Essentially, if you take two flashlights that technically are the same brightness, but one is a cool color where one is warm, the warmer one will appear brighter. That being said, I have never seen a Streamlight Strion in use to know how it compares.

Rob187

Enlightened
He's wrong.

Try shining each light at the same object a reasonable distance away, say 100ft and see which one lights it better.

kavvika

Enlightened
^ Then that would be comparing throw, not the output.

According to flashlightreviews, the Strion has an output of 5000., while the 3W Nuwai X-3 (which is what the Rayovac is) has an output of around 4000. Although, that's for the 3W version, so his 1W version would be dimmer still; I'd bet around 3000.

Now what you need to do is get a flashlight that looks like a Strion, but is brighter, and totally blow his light away to shut him up!

BTW, I voted "no".

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
No:

Assuming the BEST possible Luxeon I bin, in ideal conditions (a refrigerator), it would have about 50 torch lumens.

The strion is about 90 torch lumens IMO.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I read "brighter" as "better". I'd hazard my guess at the Strion being brighter, plus it's light would be more useful if depth and color rendering are important.

By the way, I voted "no."

Last edited:

fire-stick

Enlightened
SELUX2AA1W-B.jpg

That's the one he's talking about.. (His friend got it from me on a trade.)

I guess we'll just have to do a bounce test.....

djblank87

Enlightened
SELUX2AA1W-B.jpg

That's the one he's talking about.. (His friend got it from me on a trade.)

I guess we'll just have to do a bounce test.....

The SL Strion like mentioned above in reality only puts out about 70 to 80 lumens. I used to own one and the advertised lumen count to me is way to high.

The RayOVac I have never messed around with but from reading into it a little more I think it boils down to the following:

1. The RayOVac might have a brighter hotspot and "Flood" an area more therefore it looks brighter due to the amount of ground it would cover in close range situations.

2. The SL Strion will not look as bright up close, due to the fact that it is more of a "throw" type light. There should be no question if you have a throw contest who will win, the Strion should hands down.

Of course I could be wrong but that is just my two cents on the issue at hand.

Let us know the outcome. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

jugg2

Enlightened
Ok, my friend has the "80" lumen 3 watt version of that light, it still takes 2 AAs. The light is impressive for only 2 AAs and a "walmart" light , but my G2 outshines it without any trouble. I have never seen the lower power one though, and I have never seen a strion so i can't really compare.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If he modified it with a Seoul and made it twice the output, then maybe it would be as bright as your Strion.

The only real way is with a integrated sphere but most people don't have one, they are quite expensive.

It's hard to compare Incan with LEDs because LEDs usually have a whiter tint and appear brighter.

How about buying a LED light(Cree XR-E, Seoul P4, Rebel 100) that will outshine his?

To tell you the truth, there are quite a few 2 AA powered lights that will out lumen the Strion, the Fenix L2D-CE being an example(Cree XR-E P4 version puts out about 120 lumen out the front, the Q5 version puts out 150+).

:welcome:

Last edited:

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
Just use the ceiling bounce test in a dark room. Put a newspaper on the floor. Shine the lights one at a time on the ceiling and see which one gives you more light to read the newspaper.

I would be surprised if 1watt Cree would be brigher than Strion/G2/Brinkman type of 6V incandescent light. There should no contest, 6V halogen should rule.

- Vikas

Any Cal.

Enlightened
I have that Ray o Vac, and am quite impressed with it. It seems to have an optic of sorts, so throws quite well. The other day I was using it against a target that I check all my lights on, and noticed that it lit it up very similiar to the way my 6P did. It was not a side by side test, so YMMV. The 1w actually throws almost exactly like my P3D on medium, but without the spill. I have never owned a strion.

BTW, the target is 120' from my front door.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have that Ray o Vac, and am quite impressed with it. It seems to have an optic of sorts, so throws quite well. The other day I was using it against a target that I check all my lights on, and noticed that it lit it up very similiar to the way my 6P did. It was not a side by side test, so YMMV. The 1w actually throws almost exactly like my P3D on medium, but without the spill. I have never owned a strion.

The last time I saw these lights at Wal-Mart, they contained Luxeon LEDs with a reflector. You don't have the "4 watt" one with a Cree, do you?

TJx

Newly Enlightened
Funny I just bought one of those Sportsman Extreme's at Meijers today, mine is machined aluminum.
I did a side by side with a Fenix L2D Rebel 100 (1st premium light) with the L2D on it's lowest setting (11 lumens), both with new alkaline's.
I was shocked at how much brighter and nicer the beam was with the Fenix.
Now I have an idea what you guys are talking about with artifacts and rings and how it ain't the size of the lumens that always counts.
It makes me all the more impressed with the Fenix.
Ray O Vac's going back tomorrow!

Marduke

Flashaholic
Funny I just bought one of those Sportsman Extreme's at Meijers today, mine is machined aluminum.
I did a side by side with a Fenix L2D Rebel 100 (1st premium light) with the L2D on it's lowest setting (11 lumens), both with new alkaline's.
I was shocked at how much brighter and nicer the beam was with the Fenix.
Now I have an idea what you guys are talking about with artifacts and rings and how it ain't the size of the lumens that always counts.
It makes me all the more impressed with the Fenix.
Ray O Vac's going back tomorrow!

Either you don't know how to use your L2D, or your rayovac is a dud, because even the 1watt Sportsman Extreme puts at least 30 lumens out the front.

TJx

Newly Enlightened
Either you don't know how to use your L2D, or your rayovac is a dud, because even the 1watt Sportsman Extreme puts at least 30 lumens out the front.

Push the tailcap button on (in general mode), light is at it's lowest (11 Lumen) setting!!!
I can only share what I see, must be a dud!