Where to buy dynamo ?

1 what

Enlightened
After many happy years and miles my old dynamo has died. Bearing failure due to to much dirt/grit/use.:mecry:
I've asked at 2 local bike shops and been told "none in stock".
I've looked on-line and found very little apart from an expensive hub model and some very cheap models.
There must be a good on-line shop (USA please).
Thanks.

n4zou

Newly Enlightened
I've been considering upgrading to a Pioneer E-generator light system. I ran across it at http://www.abs-sports.com/ . They don't have much information on it at that site but found some additional information on it at
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/currency...--fits-small-flange-36-hole-rear-hubs-498.htm
It connects to the left side of the rear wheel axel and is driven from the spokes. This has all the advantages of a hub dynamo without needing to build a new wheel. Obviously you can easily remove it and swap it to another bike later retaining the original wheels on both. ABS-Sports is in the USA so shipping is only $6.95. The entire kit is $99.95.
pioneerdynamohubbig_xl.jpg

I haven't found any reviews of it anywhere. I think if it were junk poor reviews would be showing up. Perhaps it's so good none one has time to post reviews as there happily riding day and night!

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
in the US, Peter White Cycles has a good selection. He sells a few bottle dynamos as well as the Schmidt hub dynamo. www.peterwhitecycles.com ,I think.

The Shimano hub dynamos are much cheaper than the Schmidt, although perhaps not as well made or as durable. These should be available through most bike shops.

I've used bottle dynamos, bottom bracket dynamos, a F.E.R. spoke dynamo, and finally settled on the Schmidt hub dynamo. Works great for bike commuting. The best solution for you will depend on what your needs are.

regards,
Steve K.

1 what

Enlightened
Hi Folks, Thanks for the info. I like the concept of the E System but I'm afraid it doesn't have a 3 watt output (which I need). Hubs are great especially in hostile environments but I don't need the daytime drag or expensive wheel rebuilds each time I manage to write off a rim. Thanks again, Tom.

n4zou

Newly Enlightened
Hi Folks, Thanks for the info. I like the concept of the E System but I'm afraid it doesn't have a 3 watt output (which I need). Hubs are great especially in hostile environments but I don't need the daytime drag or expensive wheel rebuilds each time I manage to write off a rim. Thanks again, Tom.
It is a standard 3-watt dynamo. Note the taillight, that's where the missing .6-watts are going. Leave off the taillight and you'll have 3-watts for your headlight. I'm sure you could easily Ebay the headlight and taillight that come with the kit retaining the dynamo. Of course if you keep the headlight leaving off the taillight you'll need to swap out the 2.4-watt bulb for a 3-watt bulb, as the 2.4-watt bulb would burn out rather quickly. I like the looks of the headlight. I wonder if there would be room for an LED emitter and heat sink.