Dumb question about twisty tailcaps.....

Matteblack

Newly Enlightened
Due to the recent postings about CR123 cells "venting", I have been opening my Surefire E2e more often to check the condition of the batteries etc. Never really seemed to notice before, but the spring in my tailcap has the very tip end of the spring set up in a manner that it is scraping the bottom of the battery every time I twist the light on....would it do anything negative to my connection if I carefully bend that pointy tip down, so it doesn't do a can opener on the bottom of one of the cells?

Calamityville_Horror

Newly Enlightened
I do this to all my tailcaps. I mostly notice the marks on rechargeables that spend a long life in the light, but I wouldn't be too worried about primaries getting any major damage before running down.

Just squeezing the end of the spring inwards usually does enough to prevent major gouging. The wire is actually pretty stiff when you are trying to bend a short piece, and there is not a lot of clearance. Bending the tip down usually just results in me accidentally yanking the spring out and they are a bear to press back in.

E series tailcaps might be easier to bend (ie thinner spring wire) then the C series, but I don't have any E's to double check.