Improved, rechargeable fauxton

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm planning to mod a fauxton with a RCR2032 40mah LiIon cell and a Jeled 55000mcd LED with a resistor inline with one leg. I'm planning to drive the led at about 50ma.

Should give quite a bright beam without the very fast brightness decrease of ordinary CR2016-powered keychain lights. Battery life should be about 40 minutes, but it'd be wise to top it off often as it'd have no protection circuitry. Then again, a white led at 3v dims very noticeably, so failing to notice that the cell is discharging is unlikely.

It wouldn't have the performance of the Photon Rex, but it'd cost much less.

How come nobody's selling them? I've seen a few threads of people who've done the battery swap in original Photons, but nobody's selling modified clones.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Those screws and plastic will thread out very quickly after a few battery changes, which would make the frequent recharging bothersome to me. I end up collecting so many left over CR2032's from computer CMOS backup memory that I don't worry about the few converted fauxtons I have running out of juice anytime soon. I do like the idea though, great innovation :clap:

paulr

Flashaholic
reviving an old thread here. but how did you go with this project?

You might use a real Photon II instead of a fauxton. Photons are made of some kind of glass filled resin instead of the plastic of fauxtons. The difference isn't real obvious but the Photon threads should be much more durable.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
reviving an old thread here. but how did you go with this project?
It didn't go anywhere.

In the end I decided it wasn't worth the hassle. Most times when I need a light I use my EDC (NDI or Little Mini); the fauxton is strictly for backup and momentary duty (say, inserting a key in the keylock), and it sees so little use that I don't need to run it on a rechargeable cell at all.

This is doubly true now that I received my GS fauxtons and CR2032 cells. A modded GS will last far longer than an original Fauxton, further negating the need for rechargeables.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Any idea about the runtime on CR2032?
I think runtime depends on how bright you need it to be useful as off a single 2032 it is already starting out underdriven and will deplete the battery a lot slower than overdriving it.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where can RCR2032 be purchased, and what kind of charger is required to charge them?
I'd like to know that too. Only place I know that stocks them is batteryspace, and they want $40 to ship two of them to Italy. One wonders why they bother listing international prices at all.

I got mine out of a crank light. It had no hardware protecting the cell from overcharge, so I unsoldered it and replaced with a small pack of NiMH cells.