SureFire KL vs KX questions..

zx7dave

Enlightened
I am familiar with the SF KL series KL1, KL2, KL3 old and new, KL4, KL5 and KL6.
I have a KL1 on my E1/E2, a KL2 on my M3, a KL3 on my 9P, a KL4 on my L4, a KL5 on my C2, and a KL6 on my M4...also I have a KX2 on my E2L.
My question is what other KX Led heads are out there and how do they compare to the KL series?
My E2L is 45 Lumens for 14 hours, but what happens if you put that KX2 on a L4 body? Are you at the 100 Lumens that the KL4 puts out? If so for how many hours? Thanks.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Kx heads (Kx1 and Kx2) are SureFire's new E series cree heads. They are the updated versions of the KL heads, and right now there are only two of them. The Kx2 will fit on the L4 body, but since the electronics are in the head, the output and runtime will not change.

zx7dave

Enlightened
Thanks. I assume the new KX1 is available on the E1L and the L1?
Is there a KX version of the L2 and L4 in the works? I love my L2, but it is a little long for a 2 cell light...

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Kx1 replaces the KL1. The L1's head is unique to the L1. As of now, we don't know if there are updated versions of the L4 and L2 in the works. My theory is that SureFire is focused updating the long runtime Lux III lights first, and they'll be offering updated versions of the Lux V lights sometime next year. SHOT show 2008 will be interesting.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Part of people's confusion about these head/body combinations is that Surefire's naming convention is somewhat inconsistent.

The L1 and L2 have dedicated head & body combinations. For these lights, the electronic regulator is in the body, and the head is "dumb"--no electronics other than the LED. Each of these lights must be used only with its own parts.

The L4 is different; here the head is "smart" (boost regulator) and the body is just an E2E body with "L4 Lumamax" printed on the side. You can buy a KL4 head and join it to an E2E body to get the same functioning flashlight. Similarly, the L5 is a larger regulated head on a C2 body, and the L6 is yet a larger regulated head on an M3 body.

Surefire used to sell the KL1 smart head, which was compatible with both one and two cells. When the head was sold with the body, these were called the E1L and E2L, respectively. Surefire now has new, Cree-based versions of these complete flashlights, but now there are separate KX1 and KX2 heads for each. So there is a loss of flexibility between power sources, but probably a gain in regulator efficiency since each head now has a dedicated boost or buck converter. Regardless, there is definitely a gain in overall efficiency due to lowering the drive current and using a Cree in place of a Luxeon.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
You too Asdalton. The KX2 with its buck converter, able to handle up to 9 volts, will offer some flexability battery wise. Will be interesting to see if the KX1 will be able to boost effficiently with two NiMh's.

Bill

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
On a side note, the Surefire L1 Cree actually has the regulator electronics in the head of the light now. The old model L1s all had a long board shaped regulator in the body tube of the light, therefore that was why they were longer. Also (may have been mentioned already) the new E1L and E2L use none interchangeable heads. The E1L now uses the KX1, and the E2L uses the KX2. Apart from electrical and light source changes, the new KX1/2 heads use a different TIR optic and instead of having a domed pyrex window (this goes for the L1 as well) Surefire has placed a flat pyrex window (still AR coated) over the head assembly. The KL5 is still on hold to be upgraded to the KX5. In this case the KX5 will use a Cree-XRE LED and an TIR optic instead of the Lux V and reflector that it used to have. The only picture of the new L5 that I have seen was from some sort of shot show website. As for the L2, it is on it's own seperate world for the regulator and the head. The Bezel (head) of the L2 in some ways is very similar to that of the L4 (I believe that the reflector that the L2 and KL4 use is identical, as is the light source). How ever, the L2, like the non-cree L1 has a square shaped regulator board in the upper part of the body tube (One of the older Surefire Magazines has a picture of either the old L1 or L2 cut open to expose where the regulator circuit sits and I clearly remember that it was a long rectangular board.)

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I do no own a SF L1 Cree, but according to accounts by owners and Size15's, the circuit is in the body still. It has been reoriented so that the length of the body is reduced.

Bill