Cheap red light to play with?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you guys suggest a cheap red light to play with? I never had one so I want to try out the "doesn't hurt night vision" thing. But the two I know of, Inova X5 and 24/7 are both over $50 when factor in shipping, tax etc.

Are there any red led lights that give a decent performance but is cheap enough to serve as a test driver?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Stick a single red 5mm LED in a fauxton with a CR2032. Keep in mind, bright red light will kill night vision just as fast a white light. Red must be dim.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where can I find one? Local store only have 5 mcd LED, pretty sure that's not bright enough for illumination.

Found one on DX, only 1000 mcd, and no spec so I don't know if I can direct drive it with 6v. But rather not buy from DX right now because I don't even know where my last package from them is.

Last edited:

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I like the Safelight Superbright. You get a red one at no additional cost when you buy a white one from EDC Depot. With the CPF discount that comes out pretty cheap for two very useful lights.
9v batteries aren't everybody's favorite, but at work I build up quite a stock of half-used ones that will run these lights for a very long time.
The red has 3 nicely spaced brightness levels and a very smooth beam compared to many red LED's.
I like their user interface too.

Any Cal.

Enlightened
There is a red Inova microlight, multiple red Photons. You can also get the RayoVac 1aa headlamp and have diffused red light, which seems to do very well.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nite-Ize has a red 3LED module for the Minimag that usually sells for under $15.
The INOVA microlight or a Photon is the other obvious choice that comes to mind.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
How about the 20 to 25 dollar Inova X1 with a red LED. It is key chain sized and runs off of a single AA.

gopurple

Newly Enlightened
Amazon has a Smith & Wesson Galaxy 6 LED (3 Red, 3 White, 2AA) for about $20 with free shipping over $25 or the Gerber Infinity Ultra Red LED 1AA for about $19. I have both, the Ultra has 1 red LED, not as bright as the S&W. The S&W is little too bright for Astronomy use, but good for packing up after. They also have a S&W 3 red LED (no white) for $15.

Last edited:

Brody

Newly Enlightened
For a red light to preserve night vision, I like the Rigel Skylight Mini. It has a brightness control so you can dial up whatever brightness you need. It is used by quite a few astronomers, where preserving night vision is important.

Dr.K

Enlightened
If you want cheap, take some red electrical tape and put over the lens of any standard incan.

Thats what I did before getting a Rigel Systems Skylite.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
UPS shipping only, I'm gona pay more fees than the light is worth.

Emailed them asking if usps is possible, I'll see what they say.

mechBgon

Enlightened
If you have any Fenix lights laying around, what about just picking up their red filter, too.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to a Radio Shack, look in the LED bins for a red LED that can handle 2.4 volts. They have a big one in a blister pack commonly available.

Put it in a Mag AA or AAA, with a couple of NiMH batteries (that have sat around a day or so, not hot off the charger) or old weak alkalines, instead of the standard bipin bulb
If it doesn't work turn it around.

It makes a red spot with a red ring around it, tolerable for walking at night in a dark area.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Go to a Radio Shack, look in the LED bins for a red LED that can handle 2.4 volts. They have a big one in a blister pack commonly available.

Put it in a Mag AA or AAA, with a couple of NiMH batteries (that have sat around a day or so, not hot off the charger) or old weak alkalines, instead of the standard bipin bulb
If it doesn't work turn it around.

It makes a red spot with a red ring around it, tolerable for walking at night in a dark area.

I did that with a 3000mcd 1.7v one in a 2xAAA minimag for around the house at night. Yeah, I know it's being overdriven, and it does get quite warm, but the LED will still far outlast my use/interest for the particular setup.