True 100+ lumens from a single AA or AAA?

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
Hi everyone,
Is there a light out there for under $30 that uses a single AA or AAA that really does have 100+ lumens?

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Howdy Ryanrpm, and welcome to CPF,
You could start by looking at this:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1993

The brightest output will come with the rechargeable lithium-ion 3.7 volt AA battery. Here is a review:

http://www.light-reviews.com/uf_c3/review.html

Happy hunting!

I love that light, but the output will not change with 3.7v li-ion. It's so well regulated, that only the runtime changes with 1xAA, 2xAA, 1x14500. The 5-mode version is a different story though.

Last edited:

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened

i have the 5 mode rebel 100 you're about to buy and i like the mte seoul better, not to mention the one mode setup.
at least as bright.

also the ultrafire c2, or whatever that aa version is called that seth rated.
that seems 5% brighter than the mte but for some reason i'm still loyal.
but oh yea, i have all three, and about a zillion more, lol.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love that light, but the output will not chance with 3.7v li-ion. It's so well regulated, that only the runtime changes with 1xAA, 2xAA, 1x14500. The 5-mode version is a different story though.
Thanks for the information on the regulation Marduke. Do you have the 5 mode version as well? If so, which one do you like better?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Thanks for the information on the regulation Marduke. Do you have the 5 mode version as well? If so, which one do you like better?

I do not own the 5-mode version. I bought the 1-mode based of selfbuilt's review/comparison between the two in the Reviews subforum. The 5-mode is significantly dimmer on 1xAA, and I wanted the choice to use the 1xAA or 2xAA format without sacrificing brightness.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have the 5 mode rebel 100 you're about to buy and i like the mte seoul better, not to mention the one mode setup.
at least as bright.

also the ultrafire c2, or whatever that aa version is called that seth rated.
that seems 5% brighter than the mte but for some reason i'm still loyal.
but oh yea, i have all three, and about a zillion more, lol.

MTE Seoul huh, I'll look into that, but thier so cheap (relative to everthing else) i would just buy them both, but i read somewere that the rebel has a yellowish tint to it, and the picture also look really yellow compared to other LEDs, thats actually the main reason im getting it, see the colour rendering...

I think you mean the c3? that never occured to me as being 100+ lumens :shrug:... hmmm, they run cree p4s, at 350ma those are 80ish bulb lumens, at 65% (thanks gunner) thats 52 lumens..so asuming that, the circuit would have to be pulling 700ma from the single AA battery(?! is that even possible? would be nice...) so i guess it comes down to what board they are using. Ive handled two, one of which i have.The circuit board AND the connection board differ between the two lights.

and i think my P1d-ce was more then 35 lumens brighter on high..:D

Oh, on a side note, the MXDL 3w 123a, that 6 dollar one is suprisingly good, would really reccomend it, especially at that price..

Crenshaw

PS: IM buying the single mode, dont really find a point in having 5 odd modes....its just to bad the Most of the fenix lights have that many modes, really, hi and low would serve fine)

Last edited:

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Through a search, a few people recommend the KD SSC-U 1AAA. The site says it is 100+...is that accurate?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think it might be 100+ at the LED but most people put it in the 60-80 lumen range.

The MTE 20 mode Rebel 100 uses this driver, which provides 800 mA on high mode to the LED with a good battery(with short runtime, probably 30-45 minutes). From the info I know, the light should have over 100 lumen out the front on high. Some have learned the UI pretty quickly but it still looks confusing.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
it's bright at heck. if it's not 100, it's the brightest thing on a aaa battery and you should buy it cause all the rest are topping out at 60 lumens.

i'm bought the aaa fenix and i'll try to compare it for you when i get it.
i will also compare it to the fenix on the 14500, lol, but i think i know who'll win that one!

by the way, the quality of that kd 100 lumen aaa is crap.
forgot to mention that.
anyone found a good fix for it yet?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
why does it have 20 modes?!??!
i would really like this in single mode 800ma from a single AA, that would be perfect to play with..20 modes is about 18 too many

Crenshaw

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
wow, is there a aaa light using that circuit board?
800 ma from a aaa would be awesome, if it would even work.
eneloops for max output maybe?
anyone know of a aaa light brighter than the new kd "100" lumen (read: 75 lumens)

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tiablo has a 180-lumen R100 aaa light coming out in 5 days: Marketplace Link
The build looks tough, though there is a lack of knurling. Pocket clip and grooves on the light make up for this, perhaps.

Gotta be at least 100 lm out the front, right? 80 minutes to 50% sounds good, but the tinting of Rebel > Cree is something big to look forward to.

Marduke

Flashaholic
A Cree P4 Fenix LOD CE on 10440's will put ~140 lumens out the front on high for short bursts (few minutes, or will start to overheat and kill the LED in the long run). Probably even higher with the new special Q4 edition of the LOD.

$42.78 shipped, but you need your own 10440's and charger.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
it's bright at heck. if it's not 100, it's the brightest thing on a aaa battery and you should buy it cause all the rest are topping out at 60 lumens.

i'm bought the aaa fenix and i'll try to compare it for you when i get it.
i will also compare it to the fenix on the 14500, lol, but i think i know who'll win that one!

by the way, the quality of that kd 100 lumen aaa is crap.
forgot to mention that.
anyone found a good fix for it yet?

So what kind of quality issues does it have? Even if they last a year they'll be worth it....hopefully it will last a year.

My inspectors will be using them 8 hours a day.