Novatac bezel question again....

jeckyll

Newly Enlightened
The problem is how to remove the bezel?
Yes, I´ve used the search function and I tried the mouse pad, rubber soles and finally pliers. It was not possible to remove the bezel.
And yes, I turned the bezel into the correct direction.:grin2:

Every idea will be welcome.

jeckyll

Walt175

Enlightened
I also had a LOT of trouble getting mine off. I finally got it off by using a heat gun and strap wrenches.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I used a boot with lug soles. I had to press in pretty hard while I was turning. The lugs helped me get a grip.

It was harder to get the bezel back on with the pocket clip installed than it was to get the bezel off. I took my time and was very carefull not to cross thread. It was worth the effort to me because I can clip it on a ball cap now. If I couldn't clip it on a cap for use as a short turm headlamp I wouldn't EDC the 120P. I would carry a different light, maybe a ARC4 or E1L etc. I EDC other lights and the 120P serves as back up and for use as a temperary headlamp. There is no way it replaces a headlamp, but I use it this way sometimes because it's handy.

PS: The 120P replaced my ARC4x as one of my EDC lights. I really liked the ARC4x.

luminata

Enlightened
I have had 3 Novatacs in my hands. All 3 were different . The last 120 I had there was a red liquid coming out of the space between the bezel ring and the light head. By slipping the edge of a sheet of paper in the crack I got some of it soaked into the paper. At first I assumed it was RED Permanant type Loctite but then I wondered if it was then why hadn't it dried? Maybe the person in charge of screwing on the bezel rings at Novatac cut himself and bled into the light? Regardless, I could not get that bezel ring off no matter what I did That one had a defect so I ended up getting a replacement anyways and was lucky on the next one. . The other two Novatacs, it came off relativley easy. I have a feeling Novatac is using some form of locking fluid on them now that they didnt use on the earlier ones?

gunga

Flashaholic
Oh gross, they're using blood as a thread locker on the bezels?

:ohgeez:

Okay, okay, Just kidding.

I've had 2, both bezels came off with a mousepad or a towel. So I guess I got "lucky".

thermal guy

Flashaholic
on my first novatac the bezel came off with my fingers. on my second one it took to pairs of pliers and some special tape that i use at work to remove it. when i last talked to Jim at novatac i said looks like you guys have a new locktite on the treads he replied that yep new and very nasty to get off .That is definitely an understatement!

luminata

Enlightened
I actually thought I had cut myself while trying to remove the bezel ,thats how much force i was putting into the attempt.
I definitley think they have changed what they do and are really making an effort to keep people from removing them. They must have a special tool that can grip that small surface area yet still deliver enough torque to remove it. Either that or they will just give you a whole new light when you want a new window put in (yeah right) :p
I am happy with my 120p but would hesitate to get another in fear of it having the bezel "locked" on

xiaowenzu

Banned
Yes, I´ve used the search function and I tried the mouse pad, rubber soles and finally pliers. It was not possible to remove the bezel.
And yes, I turned the bezel into the correct direction.:grin2:
The tightness of the bezel, is a testament to just how strong the Novatac 120 really is. :popcorn:

It's not designed to be removed, and I personally would not even want to remove the bezel.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's more a testament to how tough the loctite is. I had a 120p from the first batch, I was able to unscrew the bezel by hand. The second light I can't get it to budge. I would really like to install the UCL I bought for it.

Lichtschalter

Newly Enlightened
Mine came off quite well after trying the mousepad trick. I used a Dell pad placed face down on the table, so the bezel could get some grip on the softer side of the pad. Still needed some force though.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try some Nanolube or other oil let it soak for 24hrs,oil apparently breaks it down,after 24hrs just use a hair dryer to warm it up a little,I have tried this on threads recently and it worked for me.And like super glue one way to release stuck fingers is to leave it..the natural oils in your skin break it down, fact.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am glad Novatac has started to use the good loctight.
The problem was that with earlier lights the threaded parts became loose with use. This caused malfunctions. This was definitely an ISSUE with early units.
There is pretty much no need to remove the bezel from the light, The light is not designed to be taken apart by the end user. Keep in mind that most of the people who own NovaTac flashlights are NOT Cpf's who's life mission is to strip down every flashlight to it's basic components for analysis before even switchinfo it on.

The Novatac is as good as flashlights get IMHO.
Yaesumofo

jeckyll

Newly Enlightened
I would really like to install the UCL I bought for it.
That´s exactly what I want to do.

Ok. I´ll try a boot with lug soles when I´m home again next weekend. And I have oil and a hair dryer. And if necessary strap wrenches.

I will let you know how the bezel will have gone off........

Thanks to all.

jeckyll

jeckyll

Newly Enlightened
I would really like to install the UCL I bought for it.
That´s exactly what I want to do.

Ok. I´ll try a boot with lug soles when I´m home again next weekend. And I have oil and a hair dryer. And if necessary strap wrenches.

I will let you know how the bezel will have gone off........

Thanks to all.

jeckyll

thermal guy

Flashaholic
if its a newer shipped 120p no boot in the world is going to get that bezel off.trust me i had to use two pairs of vice gripes and some special tape on mine to get it to move

luminata

Enlightened
The Novatac is definitley a good flashlight!!

IMHO being able to strip something down , firearm/knife/flashlight and re-assemble quickly and easily and end up with a working reliable tool is the truest testament of a superbly engineered/designed product

My 120p lights up with the bezel ,window and reflector removed. putting loctite on those threads seems to me to just be an attempt at keeping people from getting in there which is understandable from the manufacturers standpoint. I would never expect a large scale manufacturer to accomodate a special finite group like CPF.

I havnt seen an effort to lock down those internal retaining rings though, and that is where the problem lies with these lights. Though I did see some kind of residual clear gunk on one light the others had nothing. My tailcap rings have to be tightned every 3-4 battery changes. There is no way I am gonna start putting loctite down on those threads. The notches for removal/tightening the rings are small and barely functional as it is.

From a CPFr's standpoint though (since that is where we are) I myself wouldnt get another Novatac if they are indeed sealing everything up . I dont want to have to send a light back to get a window changed out.

But if they do indeed fix the retaining ring problem the light would be rock solid and for the average user perform reliably for many many years .