Modding a SF E2D

gyssedk

Newly Enlightened
could someone please help me understand the basics of led modding?

i have been searching theledguy.com site, and i understand the basics but i get confused with all the different stuff you can stick in between the battery and the emitter.
heatsink, driverboard converter etc etc etc i know what they do, but cant sem to work out wich ones to use.

i plan on running a luxeon K2 with a 3.7v 2200mah cell (wolf eyes lrb-168a) in a SF E2 that will be bored out to fit the larger battery. i think the mcr-20 reflector is the right one? and i would like to have a low/high mode.
and the red Esink

so far so good, am i on the right track with this?

i have decent skills at building things so that wont be the problem, its just my math/tech skill that lacks a bit.

Thanks in advance.

Claus.

Ps. if this looks familiar then it is, i posted it on another forum but havent recieved a response for at least a week...... i hope it turns out better here.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you want to do your own mod, a Seoul P4 U bin LED would be better.

The "Newer" LEDs, Cree XR-E P4-R2 bin, Seoul P4 U bin, Luxeon Rebel 100, have about double the efficiency of the older Luxeon I, III, V and K2(the newer LEDs are still better in efficiency, or equal in some of the lower bin Crees, to the new K2). For the same power, the newer LEDs will have double the output.

I said the Seoul P4 because the Cree XR-E LEDs have a narrower beam pattern and the Rebel LEDs are tiny(unless you find a Rebel 100 on a board, that makes thing much easier).

The E2D is a hard place to start modding. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in with experience.

Dealextreme has some pretty cheap multimode drivers and so does KaiDomain(DX's DIY section, KD's DIY section, shipping take a while though, the AMC7135 linear regulators are pretty efficient when driving a white LED form a 3.7-4.5v source).

:welcome:

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have modded an E-series head with a Seoul P4. I would definetly start with a KL1 or KL4. There is a lot more room to work with. BEFORE you do ANYTHING!!! Open the bezel!!! If chips or debris get in where the reflector is it will scratch VERY EASILY!! I milled the collor off the head...(where the bulb goes) and had to enlarge the hole. I used a Dorcy single 123 cell light and used the converter board out of it. I sanded down a penny, drilled 2 holes in it and soldered it together. There is a bad donut hole in the beam but it is very floody and a VERY SMALL light. Look into one of the rebel tower modules for it. It is more expensive, but then it is also a reversable mod.

Good luck with whatever you decide, I can relate to wanting to do my own mods as well.

Heres a KL4 that I modded with 3 Seouls.....talk about FLOODY!

SF416.jpg

Heres the E-series head I modded.....it was before it swapped the LuxIII star for a Seoul on a penny heatsink
SF098.jpg