Malkoff Surefire M60 with Two Stage Switch

gtie

Enlightened
Anybody using their Malkoff M60 drop-in with a two stage tailcap switch? If so, which resistor are you using?

mfrey

Enlightened
I use the 60 ohm. The 30 works but is still too bright for my interests. I wanted something just bright enough to navigate around the house at night or to my tree stand on low without blowing my night-adapted vision.

McGizmo uses 60 ohm resistors in his bright two-stage lights, too, IIRC.

Zot

Enlightened
What switches are you using? Which surefire host are you using? Thanks.

mfrey

Enlightened
I'm using an M2 bezel, LU60A adaptor collar, L4 body, and an McTC tailcap with the McE2S switch installed (with the 60 ohm resistor as mentioned before). It's a great little lego.

mfrey

Enlightened
No, the flat version is for use with the flat tailcap.

You need the standard LOTC version for use with the McTC. It has the rounded button to work with the standard rubber boot. The Shoppe has the DIY kit for $29 or the unit already assembled for $35.

brunt_sp

Enlightened
No, the flat version is for use with the flat tailcap.

You need the standard LOTC version for use with the McTC. It has the rounded button to work with the standard rubber boot. The Shoppe has the DIY kit for $29 or the unit already assembled for $35.
Thanks mfrey. Another question, can the Mce2s also be used with the E2D tailcap ? If so then how are the SF internals removed ?

mfrey

Enlightened
Thanks mfrey. Another question, can the Mce2s also be used with the E2D tailcap ? If so then how are the SF internals removed ?

They can be used in an Z68 (Defender tailcap) if you fashion a custom jam washer to replace the jam nut included with the switch. McGizmo used to make these washers but he has since stopped production. If you use the black jam nut provided with the McE2S you will have a lot of take-up in the stock SF rubber boot when you activate the light. You might solve this by buying a rubber boot from the Shoppe which is tailored to the cumulative specs of the McE2S. I have never tried this solution so I can't offer any affirmation that it works.

See here for installation instructions:

http://www.obaq.tv/cpf/?page=McE2S#Installation_Z57

gtie

Enlightened
Does anyone know of a current source for the C head to E body adapters now that Lighthound is sold out?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
mfrey, McGizmo's two stage lights, not Alephs, use constant current on high and low. Started with PD, I believe.

Bill

mfrey

Enlightened

who

Newly Enlightened
I am a fan of the Mc2ES switches, and have 12 of them.
I have tinkered and was able to put them in almost any kind of tailcap.
Currently, I have Mc2ES switches in ALL of my Aleph, L4, L5, L6, 3P, 6P, 9P, G2, 6Z, C2. I also fitted them in Leef, RPM, TnC, and MaxLite tails.

Two things to remember:
- The C series switches use a bigger resistor disc. The rest are identical with the Aleph/E series switch.
- The flat top E series version uses a different button and a separate tail cap. I have not tried it with the C series.

Edit:
I do not recommend using these switches with any incandescent lights. My P and C Surefire all have Cree/Seoul drop-ins.

Last edited:

gtie

Enlightened
Received and installed my 60 ohm resistor two stage tailcap switch today. This is a worthwhile upgrade to my 6P, makes the Malkoff more usable as this low setting is very appropriate for indoor applications and will greatly increase runtime. The switch allows you to access the low and high setting with the tailcap button or to turn the tailcap to low and access high with the button or turn the tailcap to high. I like this flexibility.

The installation takes a few minutes and is straight forward as outlined in the directions referenced above.

I'm really glad I went with the 60 ohm version, 30 ohm would have been too bright for my needs and the newest Malkoff drop-in has a good hot spot even on the low setting.

Definitely a worthwhile upgrade!

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received and installed my 60 ohm resistor two stage tailcap switch today. This is a worthwhile upgrade to my 6P, makes the Malkoff more usable as this low setting is very appropriate for indoor applications and will greatly increase runtime. The switch allows you to access the low and high setting with the tailcap button or to turn the tailcap to low and access high with the button or turn the tailcap to high. I like this flexibility.

The installation takes a few minutes and is straight forward as outlined in the directions referenced above.

I'm really glad I went with the 60 ohm version, 30 ohm would have been too bright for my needs and the newest Malkoff drop-in has a good hot spot even on the low setting.

Definitely a worthwhile upgrade!

Any idea how much energy is lost to the resistor?

gtie

Enlightened
Can't help you there, one of our more technical members will have to answer this one.

From observation, it doesn't appear to be a noticeable difference.

Any idea how much energy is lost to the resistor?