L1 question

blackz28

Newly Enlightened
I just got my L1 over the weekend. I took off the tailcap to lube because the twisting action was kinda scratchy (?sp), before I lubricated the threads I removed the battery and turned the tailcap down as far as it would go (I thought there might have been a burr left over from machining), then I took the tail cap off, a couple of slivers fell onto my workbench /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif, nothing major (about 1/16" long each, kinda like plating that flaked off).
When I put the tail cap back on, it felt alot smoother. Then I tried to remove the head, and that thing was on super tight, finally go it off. After lubing the o-rings on both ends, I re-assembled, pressed the tail cap, no light at all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif, I tighten the head a little at a time with the the help of of a couple of wrenches, then the light works. I thought that the head & tail-cap assembly should only be hand tighten. I know that once the head is on that there is no need to remove it because there is no bulb to replace. Anyone else notice this, is this normal or
should I call surefire customer service ???
Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just messed around with my L1 a little bit, and the head has to be tightened as tight as possible by hand for it to work. If I back it off 1/12 of a turn or so (1/2 of one of the hex flats on the head), it doesn't light. Looks like it has to be very tight for it to function at all.

-Keith

WaltH

Enlightened
To my knowledge, the L1's head is NOT meant to be removed. There have been other posts about folks really having to torque them down, once they've been removed, to get them to work again.

Greta

Flashaholic
Uh... not to cause the thread to drift or anything but ummm.. just because there is no censoring activated on this board doesn't mean that we shouldn't censor ourselves.

Thank you.

Carry on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

blackz28

Newly Enlightened
Thanks All,

I just figured if Surefire puts threads & an o-ring on the head, that it meant to be removed. I just lubed the o-ring and tighten as much as I can by hand, L1 is happy again.

Ed