Surefire Holster Varieties

tomcat017

Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking around at the SF holsters for a 9P. The nylon ones are nice, and I like the flap, but they're just to slow. That leaves the leather holsters, and the polymer "speed holsters." I did some searching though, and found that the speed holsters can really put a beating on finish of the light. Leather looks nicer anyway. The V16 fits the 9P, and SF's site says that the holster has an "internal retention device." I was just wondering if anyone has one of these holsters--do they work well? How securely is the light retained? And does the retention device in these holsters wear on the finish as well? Thanks for the help!!

-Mike

lightemup

Flashaholic*
If you still are considering polymer, check out bladetech, their gear is excellent, and imho is better than the V70. This is especially in regard to the V70's retention spring that is prone to breakage, and will scratch the light more than is appropriate.

As far as scratching the finish on the light, that just means its actually been used, and hasn't just been a shelf queen. Look at each mark or scratch as a badge of honour :) . I remember seeing one guy's 9p, and it was a very old style and had been used and abused. In its disfigurement it actually looked very tough ;) funny thing was in however many years of constant use and abuse he'd only replaced 1 lamp.

If you're really sensitive to wanting it looking mint however, i'd suggest picking up a spare 9p bezel, or even a g2z bezel on b/s/t so your original remains unscratched :thumbsup: Mike another way might be to pick up a G3, it will hide wear and tear better than the 9p. But my 2 cents is just to use the tool, afew scratches won't let you down :)

As to your leather question I don't own the one you mention so sorry can't give an opinion as to how well they work. It might pay to also check out Galco if you're a leather fan.

tomcat017

Enlightened
Thankss for the help! I'll definitly check out those other two brands. If anyone knows about the leater, please let me know. I'm not too concerned about scratching up the finish--it's going to get beat up anyway. Just no need to hasten it :grin2:

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast
ARTOFTHEHIDE.com
The best of the best in Leather holesters

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
Here is a brief explanation of surefire holsters. The model numbers for nylon holsters go like this. Vx0, is a closed belt loop holster; Vx1, is a velcro belt loop, and Vx5 is the metal pocket clip in place of a belt loop. The x is replaced with a number for the actual model. For instance a V45 is a nylon holster with a metal pocket clip for the 9AN/L7.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a V10 for my 9P and I am very dissapointed. The flap is way to short. It uses only half the velcro surface on the holding tube. The "Sure" in "Surefire" embossed on the flap can't be read when looking at the holstered 9P from the side view the flap is so short. The only reason I haven't sent it back is because it is a very good fit for my L2.

My V11 flap is much longer and uses the entire velcro surface.

I've sent in negative feedback to Surefire but have to date received no response.

If what I got is representative of the V10 in production get something else for your 9P.

kelmo

Last edited:

tomcat017

Enlightened
Yea, I think I'm definitly going to shy away from the nylon/velcro holsters. Nobody has any experience with the leather ones (with the "internal retention device"), eh? I'm dying to know if they retain well, and if they beat the garbage out of the light. :p Anyway...thanks again for the help so far guys..

Latest posts