I Am Sooo Happy To Have Found Flashlights

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Like most of us, I tend to gravitate to hobbies that involve neat stuff (cars, knives, airguns, and now flashlights).

But I am of the personality type that I tend to buy neat stuff, try'em out for a little while, then sell'em to buy more neat stuff. But in the other hobbies this tendency was really quite expensive -- a race part for a Mustang could cost several thousand dollars depending what it was, exotic adult airguns from Europe and Asia (not your typical Daisy or Crosman) could cost several hundred up to well over a thousand bucks, and even knives could get pretty pricey if you went for real quality stuff. And I got burned a few times buying and selling over the internet.

I find that flashlights offer me the same quality of diversion, plus they actually Do something Useful (help you get around at night and identify stuff in the dark), and if I should stumble into a bad deal while buying or selling (of course, not that I have so far), the hit isn't that bad. I will not need to take out a second mortgage if that $25 PT Surge doesn't show up at my doorstep.

And the people...the people here are of a higher quality (not personality-wise of course, it still takes sick personalities to wallow in flashoholism or any other kind of -holism) morals- and ethics-wise, and also of higher intelligence overall, it seems to me. I mean, what with all this talk of step-up and step-down circuitry, eloquently worded descriptions of beam characteristics, and the generally higher class of humor and cajoling, plus the fact there rarely seems to be any real clashes or conflicts, just makes me glad to be here.

Thank you, thank you all, for having such a nice "clubhouse" to hang out at!

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Well said!!!
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Sometimes i wonder why i am so fascinated by flashlights? Ah well! God bless them anyway
smile.gif

rlhess

Enlightened
This all started with the LED traffic lights in the LA area--and my desire to see how that technology had translated into flashlights. Look what happened!

I now have:
[edit 27 May]
--Surefire E2e
smile.gif
[end edit]
--Lambda Illuminator
smile.gif

--Brinkmann LX
smile.gif

--two ARC LEs
smile.gif

--PT Aurora headlamp
smile.gif

(above bought since joining CPF)
--Inova X5 (should be regulated)
--four Tech. ***. PR2 in Radio Shack 2C lights
--three assorted plastic keychain lights
--Ledtronics MiniFlashLED
frown.gif

Oh and I also have four MiniMag AA, MiniMag AAA, Mag 6D, Mag 5D, Energizer Double Barrel 4AA, two 2D RayOVac Swivel Lights, and about ten other assorted lights, mostly 2D. I'm at the point where I have some old 5D and 4C lights on the shelf without batteries!

I guess the only thing I "need" is something 7X as bright as the Brinkmann LX!

Cheers,

Richard
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rlhess:

Cheers,

Richard
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hay Rich,

Buy yourself one a those million cp spotlights! That'll fix ya!

Kirk

Enlightened
Hey All!
Well said MR Bulk! I got into flashlights because if you collect knives or guns people look at you as if you are a survivalist nut that likes to have a lot of "weapons". When I tell folks I collect flashlights, they looked surprised but not "scared". They think I'm little "touched in the head", but probably harmless. When was the last time somebody was stabbed or shot with a flashlight? The news reports don't say the mass-murderer's arsenal contained 3 Surefires, a Brinkmann LX, and un-registered Luxeon Star with the serial numbers filed off!
Kirk

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kirk:
When was the last time somebody was stabbed or shot with a flashlight? The news reports don't say the mass-murderer's arsenal contained 3 Surefires, a Brinkmann LX, and un-registered Luxeon Star with the serial numbers filed off!
Kirk
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha! Ha! Good one.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rlhess:

Cheers,

Richard
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think an M6 should fit the bill. In terms of lumen output, it probably is very close to 7 times the brightness of an LX. Plus I see from your list, you have yet to possess a Surefire. That is certainly a very good entry level model.

Myself, I refuse to buy another incandescent flashlight until Surefire or another company releases a regulated output one.

pjenkins00

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by geepondy:
I think an M6 should fit the bill. ... That is certainly a very good entry level model.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

talk about an understatement
shocked.gif

- Pete

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, compared to a Maxabeam, maybe it is..but not to most mere mortals who can only aspire to an M6.

Although, the M4 was my 'Excalibur'. I just liked the slim design, with almost the power of the M6, but only using 4 cells - since all my 123s are in 4 cell blister packs, I just carry one those spare, rather than worrying about half-packs.

Graham

torcher

Newly Enlightened
Flashlight lovers have alot to be proud of.
First of all, they appear to be a very rare
species. Though at first they may seem peculiar they soon reveal their true identity
as inventive,thoughtful,playful and even intelligent individuals which happen to get alot of satisfaction from the manipulation and control of light in a medium which becomes useful and practical in an everyday scenario. Though we differ in many ways as individuals, we can't help but agree on this one basic premise. That the beauty of unfaltering and faithful light which is at our disposal, is not only needful and necessary, but is a joy to contain and manipulate. This is the heart of the true
flashlight lover..

DonL

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kirk:
Hey All!
Well said MR Bulk! I got into flashlights because if you collect knives or guns people look at you as if you are a survivalist nut that likes to have a lot of "weapons". When I tell folks I collect flashlights, they looked surprised but not "scared". They think I'm little "touched in the head", but probably harmless. When was the last time somebody was stabbed or shot with a flashlight? The news reports don't say the mass-murderer's arsenal contained 3 Surefires, a Brinkmann LX, and un-registered Luxeon Star with the serial numbers filed off!
Kirk
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear there's going to be a five-day waiting period before you can purchase any light over 100,000 Cp. Anything over 1,000,000 Cp is considered a "dangerous device" by the ATF (Alcohol, Tobacco, and Flashlights).

Permits to carry a concealed flashlight are still easy to get, though.

Anyways, I've got a rather small collection of good knives and several firearms. Also, don't get into mountain biking if you think that pedalling a bike is "free". I've stayed away from cameras, luckily.

Flashlights are fun, easy, relatively inexpensive, and non-believers can find some use or utility for collecting such trinkets.