Surefire Clickie

tomcat017

Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

Hope this is in the right place--wasn't sure where to post it. I'm thinking of getting a SF Z59 tailcap to put on a 9P. But I did a lot of searching, and lots of people seem to dislike it. Of course, the positives get posted less often, but it does seem that there are a lot of reliability problems (and the light is going to be used by an LEO...who prefers clickies). Any suggestions? I read one post reccommending the McClikie tailcap...but I'm afraid the scalloping might make it more difficult to activate in a rush, or to use in momentary. Anyone know if the black HA on the McClickie matches the type II on the 9P? That's a lesser concern though--main concern is reliability of the SF, and whether or not I should look for an alternative. Thanks a million in advance. All the best,

-Mike

UnderTheWeepingMoon

Enlightened
The McClickie is a module that is designed to be used in the original Aleph tailcaps and the newer McTC to replace their two-stage mechanism. These tailcaps are E-series compatible, meaning they will not fit on your 9P.

Regarding of the reliability of the Z59 tailcap, I think you should give it a go if you are looking for a clickie for your 9P. SF has great customer service and they should sort you out if anything goes wrong. You could also have a look at the Z49. It's a bit bulkier than the Z59 but it's mechanism is supposedly more reliable. I think its plastic shroud still allows momentary operation of the light.

PS. I just realised the person who recommended the McClickie may have been referring to the C-series tailcaps made by CPF member Leef. There are some of these in stock at Lighthound and they are cheaper than the SF tailcaps to boot. They may not be the best for momentary use though.

Last edited:

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SF Z59 tailcap work great for over 1000 click then die, I call SF and they sent me a new tailcap.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got one. It works great. Surefire IMHO have ironed out their clicky problems. All the replacements I've gotten in the past (3) have been rock solid.

They have great customer service. Plus you will have your twisty as a back up so why worry?

kelmo

cfromc

Enlightened
If you are using the light in non-tactical situations then the clickie should be fine. When it breaks, just put a spare tailcap on and call Surefire. They will send you a new one which you should have at your door in about 7-10 days. If there is a chance that the light will be used when it is really needed in a critical situation, I would suggest you avoid a clickie switch. If you must use one, the shrouded ones appear to be more reliable i.e. the Z48, Z49, or SW02, however, they are harder to operate than the Z58 or Z59 due to the shroud. I posted a week ago about my Z59 that was four months old that failed the first and only time the light was ever dropped. For a hobbyist, that is not even acceptable but for an LEO using the light in a critical situation, it could prove deadly. BTW, when my clicky broke it defaulted to the "on" position.

tomcat017

Enlightened
Thanks guys. Anyone else have better experience with the more recent SF clickie offerings? I really don't like the rubber boot on the bottom, as it seems to make momentary more difficult. But reliability is the foremost concern. The light is going to an LEO, and though I reccommended the twistie, he feels more comfortable with the clickie. So I want to make sure he gets a good one. Thanks again, and Happy Thanksgiving!

-mike