Battery chart

wildfire305

Newly Enlightened
Is there a chart anywhere about voltage registered on a multimeter equaling percentage charged. For example 1.2volts=100% 1.0=0% etc. ?

Marduke

Flashaholic
It doesn't work like that. I assume you are talking about NiMH, which come hot off the charger at around 1.42v, and usually settle to around 1.38 after a day or two. A good NiMH will hold above 1.2v for almost it's entire usage, dropping below only when the battery is mostly depleted.

NiMH differ greatly from alkaline in this respect, as alkaline continually lower in voltage as they are used up. That's the good thing about NiMH though, as they maintain a higher voltage through most of their live, especially under load. This is what makes them ideal over alkalines in high drain electronics (digital cameras, flashlights, etc.)

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Marduke,

I may argue with you a little as to what is the "best way..." :)

The best way is to store your cells discharged to 1.0 volts per cell under a 1 amp load, then to charge them just before use.

Tom

Marduke

Flashaholic
Silverfox,
Won't argue with you there. My assumption was for cells in active rotation, not long term storage. As for the specifics, I bow to you, as you know far more than I (and most others) as to the specifics of battery use, care, and maintenence. :bow:

Latest posts