What are my options? 1Dmag on 4AA's

mr.squatch

Enlightened
I have two of these coming and I've been thinking what I could make out of them. My first thought was two more malkoff's with aspheric lens, at 4.8v that should be a little monster. Then I started thinking of my ROP and wondered, what other options do I have in that range of volts? The AA's are eneloops btw if it matters... The Low bulb from my ROP might run in there, what else? I have yet to get any further parts, but I'm sure an alum reflector will be in both and if not led with aspherical then a boro lens. Toss out some ideas, I have yet to use any bulbs besides the pelican ones or led's. I have a couple new bi-pin adapters at the house as well. Hmmm. Thanks in advance:thumbsup:

g

Last edited:

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm...

Incan with 4.8V

The brightest I can think of would be a Philips HPR53 which should give you 104 lumens at 4.8V

Without overdrive, the SKPR823 and the LMSA401 are both very nice, too.

You could try a XPR103, but you run the risk of :poof:

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried a bunch of incandescents with 4AA and wasn't satisfied with any of them. But I'm much happier with 4AA driving four Cree Q2s via a Shark driver. Very bright but the body gets hot very quickly.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a fairly easy solution for the 1D, I'd recommend the Malkoff drop-in, and a Kaidomain LiIon D-Cell (5000 mAh). Those cells are unprotected so I would not use them in a multi-cell configuration, but a single cell powering an LED is reasonable -- as it will shut off when the voltage drops to low (rather than draining down to nothingness and ruining the cell like leaving an incan on). That should give about 4 hours of flat runtime, or matching 3xAlkaline D-cell performance.

Last edited:

mr.squatch

Enlightened
I tried a bunch of incandescents with 4AA and wasn't satisfied with any of them. But I'm much happier with 4AA driving four Cree Q2s via a Shark driver. Very bright but the body gets hot very quickly.

That sounds very interesting. So far I like the single led's just because you can get em to throw so well. I will have to look into that kinda idea. Are those available somewhere or is it strictly build it/get it built?

thanks guys, keep the ideas comin!

g

mr.squatch

Enlightened
Found a few options... for debate and posterity

bipin WA 1183 at 4.8v = rated 442 bulb lumen
WA1319 recommended for runtime
bipin axial 4v Halogen
potted axial 4v Halogen

I forgot I have two kiu bipin sockets at the house waiting (I've been away a long time hehe)

Curious about the axial 4v Halogen recommendation. The thread I found these in recommended the halogen and the 1319 one for bright one for runtime, but then later just added in teh 1183 and gave no info on it, but since I've seen a couple recommendations for the 1183 over all else.

Can anyone tell me where to find the axial 4v Halogen 3.5A bulb and how it would compare to the WA1183 at 4.8v?

Thanks again

g

Boostedvl

Newly Enlightened
If you can get your hands on a Malkoff Drop-in and 4aa to 1d battery pack from LuxLuthor you should get one mighty bright light!

mr.squatch

Enlightened
Yep, I'm pretty sure it's the same brightness at 4d's as it is at 3c's, so it should be just as bright at 4aa's?.... Hmm, I know my 2d with 3c's in it is bright enough for me, if it had a fisheye on the front it'd be the ultimate. :D Maybe that's just plain my best option. I have two of em, I'm giving one to my roomy for xmas. He's going to shart when he sees mine, they're all finned and beautiful. Then i'll bust his out and he'll be :eek: haha. Thanks for the advice

g

leeleefocus

Newly Enlightened
I am not to clued up on driver boards but having that 1 cell format i would be tempted to get one of RV7's driver boards( i think you can buy them at kaidomain now) which is designed for a single NI-MH cell and then either wire your batteries in parallel or just get a single D cell NI-MH.

I think you will see close to 1A going to the led and it is multi level.

Then get a cree LED, a heatsink and an aspherical lens. Should be a pretty insane light with lots of throw and with a twist of the head a nice smooth flood.

This is information from the top of my head so appologies for any mistakes if there are any.

mr.squatch

Enlightened
I wish I knew how to do all that. I'd be willing to try if somebody could tell me which parts to get and how to do it. haha. I really wish I knew somebody who'd volunteer to build me one like that. (hint hint) lol

g

I am not to clued up on driver boards but having that 1 cell format i would be tempted to get one of RV7's driver boards( i think you can buy them at kaidomain now) which is designed for a single NI-MH cell and then either wire your batteries in parallel or just get a single D cell NI-MH.

I think you will see close to 1A going to the led and it is multi level.

Then get a cree LED, a heatsink and an aspherical lens. Should be a pretty insane light with lots of throw and with a twist of the head a nice smooth flood.

This is information from the top of my head so appologies for any mistakes if there are any.