Novatac problem

bltkmt

Enlightened
Admitted flashaholic newbie here. I have an 85T and took out the battery for the first time last night to lube the threads with Nanolube. When I put the tailcap back on, the light would not come on...clicky no worky. I have tried a few other (new) batteries, but nothing. Help?

luminata

Enlightened
Sounds like

1)one of the 2 retaining rings inside have loosened. There is one in the tailcap and one in the head section . If you have only removed the tailcap it is probably that one. You need some snap ring pliers ,needle nose pliers or the like to tighten it down. There are small notches on the ring for this purpose just be careful of the internal threads.
2)did you remember to put the big spring which goes around the battery back in?
3)maybe cleaning contacts will help
4)do a reset and battery detect

cfromc

Enlightened
Check the owner's manual, towards the end (I think) and there will be a procedure to "reset" that you can do. I have the 120P so the manual may be a little different than yours so I don't know what page it will be on in your manual, or even if the procedure is the same.

On my 120P the light is sensitive to how hard the cap is tightened down. If it is not tight, the light won't work or works irratically.

BBL

Enlightened
Maybe its a simple problem: Are you sure all treaded connections are tight?

bltkmt

Enlightened
I have tried it all...cleaning the silver contacts in case lube was fouling the connection...tightening...etc. Nothing works. I am going to contact their support.

qadsan

Newly Enlightened
At least the light itself carries a lifetime warranty in the event nothing else works. Hopefully you can get it going without the need to send it back.

scottaw

Enlightened
I just got mine today...and it won't work with the clip on. Works fine without it. I cranked that sucker down as hard as i could, thinking it was a bit backed off b/c of the clip...nada. So im clipless, but still having fun playing with it.

luminata

Enlightened
Yup the tail has to be tight for sure. Other than that I dont know what to say . Jim is a standup guy though and they will get it fixed ASAP for you . They do stand behind the product !!

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I would start by completely cleaning off any and all nano lube from the threads since that seems to be the thing that got changed. I'm wondering if a bit of that got onto the area where the spring contacts either the tailcap, or the head, as I believe that is the pathway for sending controls signals for the light. So, be sure and use a clean q-tip and cleaning both ends of the spring, as well as any place where it might contact.

Next, after checking the retaining ring in the tailcap for tightness, I would also the check the retaining ring in the head, as there have been a few reports of that loosening up as well.

Are you using primary batteries? Have you checked the voltage of your batteries? Is there a short, single flash of light when you screw the tailcap back on, or simply nothing?

And last but not least..... did you absolutely double check and make sure that you are putting the battery in the correct way, with the positive towards the LED? Sounds simple, but often that's all it is. Ok, that's the best I can come with at the moment..... let us know if any of this helps.

Last edited:

Ralls

Newly Enlightened
I just got my 120P a couple of days ago and I was starting to have problems switching it on and off. I was about to give it up for dead and then I cleaned the contacts with alcohol and tried tightening the switch retaining ring one more time and now it is working fine. I think the problem was mostly attributed to the retaining ring.

AnimalHousePA

Enlightened
I just got my 120P a couple of days ago and I was starting to have problems switching it on and off. I was about to give it up for dead and then I cleaned the contacts with alcohol and tried tightening the switch retaining ring one more time and now it is working fine. I think the problem was mostly attributed to the retaining ring.

I dropped my Novatac 120P at my job the other day on a concrete floor by accident. It was about a 4 foot drop. I took a quick look at the light and saw a tiny mark on the knurling - no big deal. However, when I turned on the light, it started to flicker like crazy. I freaked out. My brand new $150 light is broke. I tried resetting the light, etc all day and night and nothing...When I got home, I tried a new battery...still nothing...Finally, I tightened the retaining ring as hard as i could (it didn't feel loose or anything) and voila, it worked again fine. I'm just wondering if my light happens to take a tumble again, if I'll have to do the same thing again...Should I have a small multi-tool with me at all times while carrying this light ? :confused:

scottaw

Enlightened
I'm considering a very tiny amount of threadlock back there, seems like all too common of a problem. If im 3 hours in the woods and need to change a battery, something comes loose....you know.