Q5, Rebel, etc that not made in China? NO POLITICS

Vermonter73

Enlightened
I'm looking for a Q5, Rebel 100, or other high output LED light that's not made in China with the following features -
hi-low, with 200+ lumens on high
medium beam
2x123 and 1x18650

Manufactured in any country other than China is ok. I prefer USA, but Surefires don't have the features I'm looking for.

The last thread turned into a political mess. Please, let's just talk lights here.

Mercaptan

Enlightened
I can only really think of the Bug-Out-Gear Q5 drop-in module (or Gene Malkoff P60 drop-in) and throw that inside a Surefire body.

Then you have the body and the emitter setup are both made in the good 'ole USA. Of course, then you'll have to buy a host (hello 6P, good for 2x123) and then remove the old P60 lamp module. Drop in the new Q5 emitter and voila - total estimated price:

50 dollars for drop-in
~70-90 for the Surefire

Only problem is that you get a 'HIGH' output only.

http://bugoutgearusa.com/crq5drmo.html

IcantC

Enlightened
You have 2 choices I know of, 1 that fits the bill.

1) Buy any surefire 6P, G2, Z2, C2, etc that uses a P60 bulb. Then upgrade the the Malkoff P60 drop in which is made in the US by Gene Malkoff. These are very hard to buy though, as demand exceeds supply. I think the current one he is making is Q4 with collminator.

2) Buy a Mag 2D or 3D, then add a Malkoff dropin good for over 200 lumens.

extas

Newly Enlightened
Well, keep in mind the Q5 xre has only been available since ~Aug 2007, and is probably not available in quantities that would enable the US manufacturers to compete. And the rebels seem to have issues.

so that leaves one looking at a some other option. from what i can tell US manufacturers (large ones) generally don't tell the customer the Bin of the LED. they just give out a lumens rating. Premium brands tend to give out the torch ratings, like surefire.

in any case, look at the pelican 7060 LED LAPD light, it's 130 lumens but it seems to be torch lumens out the front. edit : i am pretty sure is made in the USA. but i would need to go to frys electronics and go and look at a box, as they do have a facility in china.

and you have to look at the premium brands as all of the low cost lights at like lowes are probably made in china.

and even though its just a rumor, wait for a few months maglite may have something out soon. i'd wait for the SHOT show 2008, to see whats coming out from everyone. and thats in a couple months, jan-feb, i think. or look at the CPF Custom Builders and Modders forum.

-ex

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I have heard rumors that Inova is going to upgrade the emitters in their lights, and release them Q1 of 2008. Hopefully their T series will include some Rebels, or maybe even the much anticipated Cree R2. However, they will most likely be 1-mode high only.

Or, you could try upgrading an Inova with a Cree or Rebel, probably a Rebel for fit.

extas

Newly Enlightened
the rebel, er, is not that good of a retrofit. maybe a K2. and are rebel stars even available from non-chinese sources?

-ex

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inova better get a better emitter in their lights for 2008. :poke:They sure missed the boat in 2007.

So I take it any modern LED will do, Cree, SSC or a Rebel?

Surefire uses Crees on the L1, E1L, E2L and SSCs in their LED 6P and G2.
Elektrolumens has a few SSC options, as do Peak LED solutions. Gatlight uses SSCs. Malkoff uses SSCs and Crees. There are plenty of other modders to be reached on CPF who use Cree , SSC and even a few Rebels.
My previously Suggested Jil Lite uses Crees, Amilte also from Korea, uses an SSC.
Liteflux comes from Taipei and they use SSCs. For some reason I think there is another Taiwanese manufacturer but I still can't remember who it is.

afahmic

Newly Enlightened
I wonder what's wrong with China? Many pretty good lights came from China (Fenix, Zebralight, Nitecore etc).

gnef

Enlightened
it doesn't matter what he thinks is wrong with china. the last thread he started went off into politics, and went downhilll very quickly.

he asked a simple question, so if you have a constructive answer, then respond, otherwise this thread will degenerate like the other one did.

curtis22

Enlightened
I wonder what's wrong with China? Many pretty good lights came from China (Fenix, Zebralight, Nitecore etc).
I agree. China makes great flashlights. I'm a little concerned that a new reader might think Chinese lights should be avoided.

d1337

Enlightened
Are you looking for an entire light with only parts not made in China? If so I think even Malkoff's lights have emitters made in China, right? I mean I know he makes the drop-in but he purchases the emitter and I think those are made in China.

P.S. Ihear the Malkoff drop-ins rock!

gnef

Enlightened
the malkoff dropins use CREE emitters, which is a US company and manufactured in the USA.

I will try again, lets stop trying to make judgements on the OP, and try to give him constructive answers to his simple question.

d1337

Enlightened
the malkoff dropins use CREE emitters, which is a US company and manufactured in the USA.

I will try again, lets stop trying to make judgements on the OP, and try to give him constructive answers to his simple question.

Thanks for the info about CREE I didn't know that they are made in the U.S. Good information. If your comment about staying on topic was directed at me I feel it was miss guided. I was simply commenting that I thought that CREE's were made in China (apparently I was wrong) but I was not making judgments.

xiaowenzu

Banned
Thanks for the info about CREE I didn't know that they are made in the U.S. Good information. If your comment about staying on topic was directed at me I feel it was miss guided. I was simply commenting that I thought that CREE's were made in China (apparently I was wrong) but I was not making judgments.

Yep, all the Cree LEDs are owned and designed in USA... also made their too. It made about $385 mil revenue this year. So all the Chinese lights are buying from this company, if they want to use cree LEDS. So really, you are also buying American if u buy cree lights.

extas

Newly Enlightened
Cree NASDAQ : CREE, is a US company based out of NC. They vertically produce (100% internally) the CREE XLamp XR-E 7090 LED Series(XRE). They also produce bare LED chips to customers, one major customer is Seoul Semiconductor whose SSC P4 is based on a CREE chip. So ultimately either one of these LEDs is technically an American product, for the time being.

Soon CREE will produce some LEDs including XREs, in China thru a wholly owned Subsidiary. So sometime in 2008, not all XREs will be made in the USA, but 100% of the technology will be American and the profit will be American as well. I do believe that CREE will only produce LEDs and Package them in china. I don't believe that CREEs SiC (Silicon Carbide) wafer production is going to china, without SiC wafers there is no XRE. CREE is a US Defense Supplier as well, mostly research into using SiC.

I am a Shareholder of CREE, i like flashlights, and this is all public info from their 2007 Annual Report. I believe CREEs own promotional flashlight they sell on their site is made in china. lol.

-ex

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Hi Vermonter73,

First, try and remember that the human eye cannot detect less than a 20% difference in light - so the difference between a Q4 and a Q5 is really negligible. Even a Q3 can hold its own just fine! (Heck, I still like my LuxIII lights!) But I digress! :)

Why not try interchangeable systems like Aleph or TnC's lights? I have both, and both are GREAT! You can build your own LE (Light Engine), with whatever driver you want and whatever LED you want. Or you can even buy pre-assembled LE's. You can change battery tubes, heads, and switches, to suit a wide variety of needs & wants. I've been collecting Alephs for a while now, and still don't get bored! :devil: And then you can start with the Ti Alephs...

Anyways, that's my two cents. I think the upgradeability and versatility of the Aleph system or the TnC SF-Series and C-Flex series are awesome. :thumbsup:

Good luck in your endeavour! :) I like the topic.

john

greenLED

Flashaholic
(Heck, I still like my LuxIII lights!)

I jumped off the "brighter is better" bandwagon a while back. I still have a P-bin LuxI sammie. Comparing it against a P4 Cree is almost like comparing 5mm LED's vs a Lux I, but it's still *plenty* of light.

/highjack

Latest posts