Need P60 dropin with CONSTANT 100 lumens for 10 HOURS

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given the actual Cree advancements is there a Cree P60 LED drop in that can do 100 lumes for a CONSTANT 10 hours? NOT 5 hours on high then 5 hours "useable" light BUT a CONSTANT 100 lumens for 10 HOURS from 2x123 batteries so 6 volts. Does one exist yet or maybe future Cree may be able to do that?

Appreciated
Chris

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I would buy that one! That is if it existed........ Maybe I just don't know about it yet. I'll be checking back here to see later!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Quoting myself:

Even with the Cree R2 and 100 Lumen at the emitter(less out the front), the longest runtime you would get is probably around 7 hours of constant output.

The technology isn't there yet.

Maybe the the middle of next year at the very earliest a LED will come out that can actually achieve what you want.

I can't wait till the technology arrives though. Maybe S bin Crees when they come out will be able to achieve this goal of 100 lumens for 10 hours.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think it's possible yet.

Take example from fenix t1, it's 60 (at emitter) lumens for 10 hours on 2x123a with cree Q5, that's about as high as it gets right now, so 100 lumens for 10 hours on 2x123a is kinda unrealistic.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's one way to look at it:

Start with SilverFox's excellent battery charts :twothumbs:

- a CR123A battery has around a 3-4 Watt-Hr capacity.
- 2 of them would have 6-8Wh combined
- with a 90% efficient driver, the most the emitter would see is 5.4-7.2Wh.
- the current state of the art wrt emitters is ~100L/Watt

A little quick math reveals that you could perhaps get 5-7 hours at 100 Lumens. You would need 140-185 Lumen/Watt emitters for the 10 hours or an increase in CR123 capacity.

Paul

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can handle 2 "c" cells- then we have some winners!!

How about 2 18650 cells? I have a ultrafire 500 with the led drop in. I think it might do what you want...

Brozneo

Enlightened
100 lumens for 10 hours on 2 x 123a cells isnt going to happen just yet - not enough capacity in those cells...

merlocka

Enlightened
Just to add a data point.

The surefire E2L (Cree version) has a 9 hour flat regulated runtime on 2 CR123. It's spec'd at 45 lumen, which with SF's conservative ratings means perhaps ~60-70 "LED" lumen?

I'm not sure what bin XR-E they use, or what their efficiency is, but I'm guessing they are probably close to "state of the art".

So, we're getting close, but not quite there.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Didn't Surefire advertised their G2L for 12hrs on 80 lumens? That the main reason I purchased... they better not lie to this broke angry asian dude!!!

Well, they say it produces 80 lumens, and "useful output for 12 hours", but it doesn't say "80 lumens for 12 hours". Seeing as the best emitters on some of the most efficient circuity can only manage ~60 emitter lumens for ~10 hours, I am guessing that SF is counting a moon mode in there as "useful output". I remember seeing a G2L runtime graph around here somewhere. Will edit with link if I can find it.

Edit:
Found it:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/176621

But I think the newest G2L's have aluminum heads, not nitrolon, which should increase the output to being similar to the 6PL

Edit2: jzmtl beat me to it as I was typing

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the math doesn't lie. Glad someone else did it so I didn't try to. :grin2: Nice work chimo.

You could probably get near that on a single 18650. You could definitely get that off of a single C LiIon.

The question I must ask is do you want 100 emitter lumens or 100 real usable out the front lumens? That means you'll need to drive that emitter to ~150 to get 100 out the front (unless you're good friends with Ra).

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
Just to add a data point.

The surefire E2L (Cree version) has a 9 hour flat regulated runtime on 2 CR123. It's spec'd at 45 lumen, which with SF's conservative ratings means perhaps ~60-70 "LED" lumen?

I'm not sure what bin XR-E they use, or what their efficiency is, but I'm guessing they are probably close to "state of the art".

So, we're getting close, but not quite there.

i would say that this is about as close as it gets.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given the actual Cree advancements is there a Cree P60 LED drop in that can do 100 lumes for a CONSTANT 10 hours? NOT 5 hours on high then 5 hours "useable" light BUT a CONSTANT 100 lumens for 10 HOURS from 2x123 batteries so 6 volts. Does one exist yet or maybe future Cree may be able to do that?

Appreciated
Chris

Chris, you have a very interesting question. But before you next post, please take the time to refresh yourself on CPF's rules. They are linked at the top of every page in CPF. Rule 7 clearly states that crossposting is not allowed.

You posted the exact same question in this thread. The linked thread was posted 5 minutes earlier but this one seems to have gathered more responses so I have posted here.

Please refrain from posting the same thing in two different locations.

With regards to your question, as others have said, your requirements appear fall outside the realm of possibility with current technology.

Last edited:

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, they say it produces 80 lumens, and "useful output for 12 hours", but it doesn't say "80 lumens for 12 hours". Seeing as the best emitters on some of the most efficient circuity can only manage ~60 emitter lumens for ~10 hours, I am guessing that SF is counting a moon mode in there as "useful output". I remember seeing a G2L runtime graph around here somewhere. Will edit with link if I can find it.

Edit:
Found it:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/176621

But I think the newest G2L's have aluminum heads, not nitrolon, which should increase the output to being similar to the 6PL

Edit2: jzmtl beat me to it as I was typing

Didn't Sgtmike tested it out? He said he packed it up before being ship out. I think he mentioned that it didn't last 12hrs, but somewhere between 8~10 hrs.