ALMOST bought my 1st Cree!

BillG

Newly Enlightened
was looking at DX...Fenix and other cree lights. i have 6 or 7 luxeon lights now. instead I spent @$35 getting xtra lamps and cells for my Streamlight Scorpion. even though the cree's and rebels throw out a lot more light, they dont seem to illuminate as far out as my Scorpion. they may throw as far but not illuminate as far to me. LED's are still indoor lights and 3 watt luxeons are plenty bright for me indoors. But YMMV

Nuwai Q3....Fenix L2t...(2)eternal lights...UK 4aa eLED...Fenix L1p...CPF VB16... Scorpion.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
BillG, there is nothing wrong with buying the lights you like. If you like incans better for the outdoors there is nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't write leds off in the outdoors though. My Tiablo A8Q5 easily outthrew my SL TL3 and Ultrastinger...both of which outthrow the Stinger incan.

So if your lights are working well for you, there is no need to change. Just don't get caught up thinking that the new led lights don't have anything to offer you, because I think if you use a Q5 throw light...you will be pretty plesantly suprised.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm over at my parent's and I was just outside walking around their yard with my Dereelight CL1H Q5 spotting frogs around their pond. I could easily light up things 500 feet away. So LED's have come along recently for being practical out doors. However, continue to enjoy your light. If it does the job, no reason to stop using it.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're happy with your SL Scorpion, I really don't see no need to upgrade.
But if you're curious about testing new crees, you probably should compare with lights in the same size class. The ones you've mentioned can't really compare (all of them are quite small, and uses older tech).

I'm only going by numbers from luxmeters now, but I would think that this cheap DX-light( http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6951) will probably blow the scorpion away, luxratings at 1m are 4418 Lux vs 16300 Lux according to:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2136125
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_scorpion.htm

But then there's the difference between incans and leds. I still prefer the beam of incans when it comes to outdoorlightning (allthough I use LEDs more due to runtime, reliability etc). But as I said before, stick with what you're happy with. There often really is no need to update, unless it's a hobby and you think it's fun. ;)

BillG

Newly Enlightened
the Tiablo is well outside my budget :) but i've heard great things about it!

it's not the throw of the LED that bothers me....i seem to be able to see things more clearly with an incan lamp. Does that make any sense to anyone.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of people like incans better for the outdoors than leds. Many of us like leds better. If you look it the threads here, the arguments over which one is better are numerous...and sometimes fun to read.

Marduke

Flashaholic
A lot of people like incans better for the outdoors than leds. Many of us like leds better. If you look it the threads here, the arguments over which one is better are numerous...and sometimes fun to read.

True, it has a lot to do with color rendition. For every person who prefers incans for their warmer color, there is another person who prefers the bright white of most LED. In general, Rebel's tend to have a warmer color though, if that's your thing.

That being said, one of my two new 2xAA Energizer Cree from Sams has the warmest color that I've ever seen from a LED (the other is quite cool, which is odd), and I will be giving that one to my father. 30 years of underground coal mining and using an incan cap lamp the entire time has turned him into a tint snob without even remotely being a flashaholic, LOL.