tiablo a9 shotgun mounted

tekguy

Newly Enlightened
anyone have experience using the tiablo lights mounted to a shotgun? is it a good weapon light as far as build quality? does anyone know of a better light to mount on a shotgun for around the same price

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
At what range do you want to light up your target? The thing to keep in mind is many of these lights put out the same lumens, it's a matter of how tight you want the beam to be. So if your target is 30-50 feet, then another light could give a wider beam with plenty of light to better light your target. If you're target is 300+ feet away a Tiablo may work. I'm not sure how these lights would hold up, the only thing I'd be worried about is the battery bouncing around and possibly lossing connection, which could cause a mode change, etc. This would depend on the specific light and how it operates. I think the LED's are up to the challenge though. If an incan can survive on a shot gun, an LED should have a much easier time of it.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tiablo, good question...I have a Surefire 918FA mounted to a Remington 870 Marine Magnum for home-defense. What type of shotgun you are talking about mountiong it to, and for what purpose? Those are the two "deciding" factors on having a properly mounted light that will function when needed. Let me know...and I might be able to help with the right mount and/or light. The 918FA uses the
M-3 Turbolight which has spirings around the lamp assy. to absorb shock, while the 618FA just relies on "luck" to function. While the actual "bulb-assy" of an LED will stand up to a shotgun blast, the rest of the light might not. Let me know...

ceramide

Newly Enlightened
Well, I've got an A9 on my AR and it works well but wouldn't put it on a shotgun due to the narrow throw beam as mentioned above. A WolfEyes M90 with pressure switch has held up nicely on my 12g even being an incan. And the extra weight upfront helps control the muzzle rise. However, the new BugOutGear Q5 drop-in really opens up much lower weight options (they are nice, I ordered a second). If you are looking for more rapid traverse/mobility, then consider the BOG Q5 in a Surefire host. I also support that for a scattergun, even a well-patterned one or with slugs, you want more of a floodlight rather than a light saber due to the closer range of effect, and any Cree/Seoul LED at 100 lumens+ at night will certainly freeze a rabbit or blind an opponent even in a floodlight.

Scattergun

Enlightened
I don´t think it´s really all that weird an idea... with the OP reflector the spot is pretty much the same as the pattern of the pellets... spill is maybe not super on the tiablo but reasonably bright to ensure overall visibility. Just point the beam at what you intend to blast...and Voila -both aimingcapability and lighting...
However I would definitely considder the Lumapower MRV, due to it´s separate batterycompartment, might be easier on the light when it comes to recoil.

looman

Enlightened
I don´t think it´s really all that weird an idea... with the OP reflector the spot is pretty much the same as the pattern of the pellets... spill is maybe not super on the tiablo but reasonably bright to ensure overall visibility. Just point the beam at what you intend to blast...and Voila -both aimingcapability and lighting...
However I would definitely considder the Lumapower MRV, due to it´s separate batterycompartment, might be easier on the light when it comes to recoil.

The whole point of the Tiablo is throw - a relatively tight beam and there isnt that much difference between the OP and SM reflectors at shotgun ranges.

If your planning to loose off a shottie at something, you need to illuminate the target and have enough flood to track it if it darts left or right and a tight beam will not help here.

You also need to illuminate the background so you can see what is behind what you are shooting at so you dont let fly at something you shouldnt and you need to be able to ID what you intend to squeeze the trigger on.

I would say the T8/9 would probably be too tight thought the range for shottie is not a problem in terms or max engagement range you would ordinarily expect to engage and despach quarry at.

I would be interested to know what quarry you are intending to illuminate and take on with a shottie at night with. I have considered using the A8Q5 on a rimfire in support with a much bigger & dedicated shooting lamp on a dimmer. The dimmer gives you the ability to get retinal eye reflection and locate whislt the bigger output allows you to go further out to id and ensure a safe backstop etc.

I would not consider the A8/9 adequate for rimfire and I am even undecided on using on an HMR.

I would imagine the bulb is emitter is capable but the cuircuitry perhaps wasnt built with this recoil in mind especially long term

Patriot

Flashaholic
The A9 would be a poor choice for a shotgun unless you're pouching animals at night with slugs......:thumbsdow Not saying that your are...:) Just wanted to say in so many words that it would be a useless choice.

Secondly I really have to raise a brow about the reliability of a chinese, mass produced light being up to the task of "weaponlight." I realize that they're made quite well and out of good material, but its not been tested for that purpose. Unless you're just looking for some goofy shooting fun at night I'd abandon the whole idea. If you are considering this idea for self defense, I'd recommend a dedicated shotgun light like the SF618.