M2 bezel vs Z32 bezel

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the Surefire guru's:

What's the difference between the M2 bezel and the Z32 bezel, performance wise? Is one more shockproof than the other? more waterproof? I have a 6PSN that I'm going to use as a weapons mounted light (shotgun and rifle), do I gain anything by putting an M2 bezel on it? tia

Steve

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Steve -

The only difference between the two bezels that I'm aware of are the shock-isolated properties of the M2. As it was engineered, the M2's bezel housing is able to better distribute the shock forces related to the discharge of a firearm, thereby providing an added measure of protection to the lamp assembly.

But to answer your question more specifically, I honestly do not believe you have a need to go with anything other than the 6PSN that you're using now on your long gun(s). Unless you're putting an incredible amount of duty ammunition or extra hot loads through either your shotgun or rifle.

I've shot no less than a combination of eight cases (1,500 rnds) of Winchester Ranger Tactical 00 Buckshot and Federal 1oz Slugs through my SureFire 617F attached to my Benelli Super90 and not a single lamp (P60) has failed. Although putting a couple of cases through the cycle on my Scattergun BP870 has resulted in one broken lamp assembly, I've since changed it out to the P61 and there hasn't been a problem since then.

Neither the SF617F or the SF618F have shock isolated bezels on them.

I have not had any experience with using a SF6P/M3 on a rifle, but I doubt there would be any issues to worry about. Prior military applications involved the use of a standard 6P with a tape switch and ARMS mount to a Colt M4 just forward of the receiver and hand guard, but instances of damaged lamp assemblies did not seem to be documented as often as the failed tape switches at the tailcap.

Simply put, I don't think there's any need to have to replace the bezel other than the one you have on.

-Jim

Size15's

Flashaholic
Differences between the M2 Shock Isolated Bezel and the Z32 Shock Isolated Bezel...

The M2 Bezel is Mil-Sepc Hard Anodised to Mil-A-8625 Type III Class 2. It has an Anti-reflective optically coated tempered Pyrex lens. It has thick walls for increased protection.

The M2 Bezel is designed to be far more water-tight then the Z32.

Remember that you 6PSN is rated as is. Swapping the Bezel voids the certification.

For mounting on a weapon, the 6P is not ideal because it does not physically retain the batteries inside the body unlike a dedicated WeaponLight model such as a 650-04H (deep waterproof)

The Shock Isolated Bezel will help a 6P though.

Al

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info guys. I plan to tape or heat shrink the two batteries together so they don't ram into each other with every shot. Maybe if the tape or heat shrink tubing is thick enough it will prevent or dampen the batteries from going into the bezel too much.

I have a spare M2 bezel, but it's HA and the 6PSN is black, so I might as well keep the Z32 bezel on, and keep the waterproof certification.

Are the tape switch tailcaps waterproof, ie are they membrane sealed like the 6PSN tailcap?

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:

I'm not sure what you've got but SureFire's 617F & 618F DO and always have come with Shock Isolated Bezels!

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the clarification, Al. I have the original 1996 model of the 617 series (not 617F, my mistake) weaponlight system for the Benelli M1. I can not tell if it's an L60 model, but has the P60 LA included. It doesn't appear to be a shock isolated bezel, but I could be mistaken - my manual is in the wind for that model. The 618F (2002) that I have does indeed have the Z32 Shock Isolated bezel. (Looks better too, if you ask me)

-Jim

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Steve -

Wow, funny you should mention that... I was just taking apart my 618F weaponlight to take a closer look at the foregrip mount. I'll post it shortly.

-Jim

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Steve -

Here's the SF618F (newer model with tactile grip on bottom of foregrip).

The "Constant-On" switch is located just under the three-point sling forward attachment on the foregrip.
fc852dd4.jpg

The flip side with the "Momentary-On/Off" built-in tape switch.
fc852dd2.jpg

...and here's the business end...
fc852dd1.jpg

Size15's

Flashaholic
Thanks for the photos!

The WeaponLight above have the L60 Lamp Module (one SF223A shock isolated battery stick powers the P60 (stock) or the P61 (suggested) in the Z32 Shock Isolated Bezel.

Looking at your firearm, it appears the LM90 upgrade Lamp Module & MN11 High Output Lamp would be fantastic because you have the room.

For examples of this WeaponLight option, I urge you to get hold of the SureFire Guns&Ammo Combat Tactics Magazine.

Al

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice photos, thanks Jim. The gun appears to be hanging in mid air by itself in that last photo.

Steve

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Nice photos, thanks Jim. The gun appears to be hanging in mid air by itself in that last photo.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL... I just noticed that myself - I had to lean the shotgun up against the wall and shoot downward to get the "forward" look to the weaponlight (should have turned it on). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said

Looking at your firearm, it appears the LM90 upgrade Lamp Module & MN11 High Output Lamp would be fantastic because you have the room.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incredible, Al... you read my mind! That's pretty much what I was about to ask you next re: an upgrade recommendation. I'm going to look into that now and glad you put me on the right track.

As a side note, I decided to take apart the weaponlight for my Benelli last night, seemed like a good time for an annual inspection of the goods, and found what appeared to be a small fracture vertically upward on the outside portion of the foregrip, right where it meets the threading for the body of the light. I took a picture of it, but it's very difficult to see, even on high resolution (not that I could upload that monster sized file anyway - dial up here).

I turned it in to the Armorer where I work and I suspect I'll have a replacement for it. Hopefully it'll be determined it was damaged during a training session, but we'll see. Now I'm actually glad I spotted that - a genuine opportunity to upgrade to the newer 617F version with the "Constant-On" switch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

-Jim

Size15's

Flashaholic
You can order the LM90 as part of your WeaponLight. I believe you have to call SureFire direct or order from a Dealer who knows what he's doing.

Al

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
It's a Scattergun Technologies customized Remington 870 (Border Patrol model) 12 gauge, pump-action shotgun with a shortened buttstock, 18" barrel and extended magazine, accepting 2 3/4" to 3" magnum shotshells, heavy duty internal magazine spring with a high-visibility feed stop, oversized safety, mil-spec parkerized finish, a three-point CQB sling (1.25" width), one Tac-Star Side Saddle 6-shell carrier opposite the ejector port, and one custom 6-shell holder on the buttstock, Ghost Ring tritium night sites, and of course, the SureFire 618F foregrip weaponlight.

Very reliable and extremely accurate with magnum slugs.

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Onyx said:
Shortened buttstock - it doesn't look that short at all! You mean the original was longer?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, actually there are two different buttstocks offered for this type of weapon - This customized version uses the SpeedFeed CQB buttstock. This "shortened" buttstock is the Close Quarters version, which is two inches shorter in total length, as compared to a regulation sized buttstock. The two inches makes a significant difference when manuevering in a CQB environment with a 3-point sling (if it's to be properly shouldered).