What do you do with old fauxtons? Mods included!

Fate of old fauxtons

• Total voters

Marduke

Flashaholic
Just for fun, I would like to know what everyone does with old photon clones (fauxtons) once their original battery runs down. If you mod them, please make sure to also select which option your prefer for the new battery (you can select multiple options)

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What do you do with old fauxtons?

When I bought my 35mcd fauxton from kevinL eons ago I also got a whack of batteries. Then I looked at the four teeny tiny screws and said forget it. I have a L0P SE on my keychain by then.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Toss them in my junk bin. They are not much more expensive than batteries from DX, and apparently at least half of the batteries you order will be dead from what the reviews say so buying batteries is just not worth it.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast

The only one I ever put new batteries in was the near-UV job, just because I had the batteries laying around and the color was just too cool. otherwise they go in the trash. New batteries cost more than the light!

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've yet to run mine down, but when I do I'll probably toss the cells and keep the rest. The LEDs can be useful, and the casings might be moddable.
I've taken one apart with the intent of using a rechargeable cell & resistor in it, but I'm having trouble sourcing the LIR2032 cell I need.
I thought about ordering some cells for replacement, but apparently most of the cheap ones from DX are defective. The things are so cheap that ordering another ten-pack is only marginally more expensive per unit as replacing the cells anyway.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened

I haven't run one down either, but if I did run one down and it had a good tint, I'd save it as spare parts for replacement into the 1 to 4 out of every 10-pack that has a bad tint or doesn't work exactly right.
As cheap as they are, it's still fun to fix one that isn't up to standard.
The split rings are pretty good too for other uses.

Marduke

Flashaholic

DX also sells Maxell brand CR2032's, which I have had much better luck with. I have had them replace entire orders of the cheap cells, and between two orders of them, I end up getting most of one order equivalent.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast

If the LEDs are still good I take them and put them into other things sometimes. Other times when the LED is visibly burning out I toss the old batteries and the plastic casing into recycle bins. Sometimes I'll have a random 5mm laying about and toss a new LED in. It really depends on what I have lying around when I find a depleted fauxton.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast

One could replace the two 2016 cells with a single 2032. It'd give much longer runtime at a dimmer, but much steadier, output.