Wanting to build 1W UV Cree easily, help!

Khaytsus

Enlightened
My time and equipment is fairly limited, I only have a fairly cheap iron and a 2 year old who won't give me much time, so I'm wanting to find the easiest swap host for a UV 1W Cree LED. I'm planning on getting the LED itself from DX as it's an easy source, so I don't mind getting the light from there as well. This won't be an EDC or used constantly, so a DX-quality light should be fine.

On the page for the UV light itself (SKU 4334) one poster mentions getting the reflector set, etc.. But ideally I'd just like to swap it out for another LED if possible, and I was thinking SKU 891. Any other suggestions are fine, including reflector/driver/host if that's the only/best way to go.

Basically I only want to spend around $20-$25 here, as this is just a "toy" light for me.

Thanks!!

Khaytsus

Enlightened
I'm guessing you already have the UV LED?

The Elly is a pretty easy host to mod(thread).

Oh, no, don't have the LED. I'm hoping to order it all together, although I know from trinkets I've gotten from DX that you never know what you're going to get and when you're going to get it.

Better suggestion for the LED?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think in order to get the Cree UV LEDs, you would have to tell them what you need them for and I don't think they would accept modding as a reason.

Kaidomain has a premounted 3W UV LED(the Elly drives at around 1 watt)

DX has been a bit more problematic lately and shipping has always taken two weeks to two months depending if what you need is in stock or not. I blame too many products.

What wavelength do you need?

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
IMO, a 410nm LED is a little too far into the visible spectrum to be much use for UV fluorescense except for things like white tablecloths and day-glo items. Terralux makes a Cree 7090-based one watt UV led at 395nm that drops directly into a 2-AA m*glight.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
IMO, a 410nm LED is a little too far into the visible spectrum to be much use for UV fluorescense except for things like white tablecloths and day-glo items. Terralux makes a Cree 7090-based one watt UV led at 395nm that drops directly into a 2-AA m*glight.

Interesting, I thought I'd read the Cree 1W was good at fluorescing things, but I might as well get this drop-in for about the same price and no fuss. Didn't realize they made one! Thanks for pointing that out, I think I'll go with it. I have an Inretech drop-in in a Mag AA which I can swap out, I never use it.

LEDite

Enlightened
Khaytsus;

The first thing is to get a 395nm Cree UV led. They make 1 watts & 3 watts.

Then a Ultrafire C2 is an easy mod.

Larry Cobb