Visual ID of 3 watt ??

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I have received a light that was labeled as a 3 watt T-Bin Lumiled emitter. I have long wanted to mod the light to a better tint so I opened it up and noticed some visual differences to all of my other true 3 watt T Bin emitters.

The light I purchased shows very thin leads such as the ones found on all of my other known 1 watters. I also noticed that on all of my 1 watters there is a very small tab alongside each lead and their is always a notched one on the negative side. The light in question shows the same small tabs and yep one has the same notch as my other 1 watters all attatched to a factory star heat sink.....I think this advertised 3 watt T Bin may actually be a one watt light.

My known 3 watters are all labeled by the BIN code and have very thick leads with different tabs than the 1 watters I have. Is there any way to identify a true T-Bin 3 watt by simply looking at the bare emitter? The light I have does not have the factory star so all I have is visual methods to identify it. My reason for wishing to mod it originally was due to tint. It seems to have a warmer color and is equal in output to my other one watt lights. I assumed I lost the lottery so I opened it all ready to swap out my emitter to a TYOK emitter.

I think I may have received a one watt by mistake. If so I will try to exchange the light and I am sure it would not be a problem however I would like to be sure before I say anything. My camera is crap so such detailed pics to show the differences would be hard to see. Any way to be sure if this is a one watt before I make a fool of myself??

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure myself. Visually I don't think I can tell the difference between a LumiLED 1W or 3W just by looking at the die/phosphor package. But then again I have a lot less experience with LumiLED bins and dice than many others here.

You might try in the LED forum where guys with more LED specific knowledge might see the thread. In LED Flashlights is gets bumped down pretty quick.
:bump:

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I remember reading older threads (very old) stating that 3 watt emitters had visually thicker leads. I have several known samples of each and every one of my 3 watt versions have the exact same leads and they are much thicker than the 1 watters.

I also have several 3 watt lights from the same maker and every one of them has the same thicker leads. I also have several one watt lights from the same maker and every one of them has visually thinner leads such as the ones on the light in question.??

I am planning on sending an e-mail explaining my questions and reasons for asking them to the maker. I really do believe this light may simply be labeled as a 3 watt Lumiled by mistake. I actually plan on modding this one anyway to a known 3 watt TWOK so it is not really a problem however I did wish to inform the maker of a potential problem with a few samples.

I searched the archives for photos and the information as to the thicker leads however my searching skill is not working very well. I plan to check with the maker/dealer just to be sure ......more so out of curiousity really just to see if my visual concerns have any truth to them.