Brinkmann LX--NICE! Light Comparisons

rlhess

Enlightened
Hi, I just got my Brinkmann LX and find it quite interesting.

I measured 3100cd while my 6D Mag measured 2900cd.

I had some used batteries (2700 cd) in the Brinkmann when I went out to look at a deer on the ridge behind my house about 150 feet away.

The Mag was a bit more contrasty and had a tighter circle and probably would throw a bit farther, but the LX had broader, smoother coverage and certainly was no slouch. Very even coverage.

This is 10x the output of the Lambda Illuminator. See this thread in the LED section for other comparisons and a note about the measurement procedures.

Thanks, Lambda for suggesting the LX.

Cheers,

Richard

Size15's

Flashaholic
The beam of the LX is very good.
Finally, we have companies starting to follow SureFire in terms of beam quality.

The LX is just too bulky, I find it ugly, unstylish, I hate the switch, the Bezel is too big, it's naff. It's cheap.

For the price, I am very glad they bothered to spend money on the beam.

My LX sits next to my E2-SG. I sometimes consider the E2-SG to be a tart, or a pimp, but I carry it sometimes
wink.gif
grin.gif
. The LX never gets carried.

Al

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It makes for a good car light to complement a car LED light. You don't feel so bad about it being banged around in the glove box. It has it's place and is worth the $20.

Big Tex

Enlightened
I consider the LX to be a bang for the $. Maybe the best buy for your $, that is, if you can find one.

rlhess

Enlightened
So you folks are suggesting an E2e is close to the brightness and beam width of the LX?

Craig's test results sure don't show that--they show the E2e to be only 25% brighter than the Lambda Illuminator--an LED light (for the one person who doesn't know)--although the brightest 1-LED AA-driven LS light.

Is the E2e as bright and throw as far as the LX? If so, then I might decide to spring for it.

Cheers,

Richard

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own both. The LX beats the E2 for brightness when you dial it to a tight focus. You dont need to take measurements, it's obvious. Throws better, too.

They both use xenon bulbs and run on 2x123a, but the LX is only good for 1 hr, the e2 is good for 1 1/2 hours. The LX is consuming the battery power faster = higher wattage bulb = more light output.

beam_me_up

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Size15s:
The beam of the LX is very good.
Finally, we have companies starting to follow SureFire in terms of beam quality.

The LX is just too bulky, I find it ugly, unstylish, I hate the switch, the Bezel is too big, it's naff. It's cheap.

For the price, I am very glad they bothered to spend money on the beam.

My LX sits next to my E2-SG. I sometimes consider the E2-SG to be a tart, or a pimp, but I carry it sometimes
wink.gif
grin.gif
. The LX never gets carried.

Al
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the Legend LX is the best looking flashlights I've ever seen (it matches my silver/black ring perfect!) I carry it on me 24/7 in the convenient pocket on the side of my cargo jeans.

Size15's

Flashaholic
If there was no variety of opinion, the world would be a boring place!

For a light the size of the LX, I would expect it to have the features of the M2.

Al

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LX is ugly and top heavy but a very good value for the money. As mentioned the best part of it is the beam (IMO).

An example of beauty at least in the eye's of one beholder is the E2. I gave my semi-girlfriend one as a gift. This was packaged in the older less commercialized style, with the light and batteries enclosed in foam within the box, much like a fine piece of jewelry unlike the cheesy cutout style Surefire uses now. Instead of ever using the light even once, she put it in her knick knack case with the box open, nestled amongst very expensive crystal. The included Duracells will undoubtably get their shelf life tested. I get a big laugh whenever I see it and give up trying to extoll the virtuals of the light as a light to her. When I had to troubleshoot her computer onsight recently and asked for a flashlight, she hauled out the Pal light I gave her two years ago! I made due with my Arc LE instead. I didn't dare ask her to break out the Surefire E2.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand the ladies realy go for the bright colored mini-Mags. Ask her favorite color, I'll get one & send it to you as a swap for the E2. TX
(don't think I'm kidding. I know it's a sacrifice on my part, but I'll do it....honest!!!!!)

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by txwest:
I understand the ladies realy go for the bright colored mini-Mags. Ask her favorite color, I'll get one & send it to you as a swap for the E2. TX
(don't think I'm kidding. I know it's a sacrifice on my part, but I'll do it....honest!!!!!)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll leave well enough alone, thank you. Just lucky I stumbled across something that pleases her that is "relatively" inexpensive.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you sure??? the "pretty MiniMag could put you in "the green", make you "the MAN", put you "in the Groove", "up tight, out of sight". Don't pass this offer up. It may never be repeated....!! Think it over. TX

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldn't it be great if Brinkman & Maglite got together & made a light the size & quality of the mini-mag, the light output of the LX, & sell it for $20? TX

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by geepondy:
[QB].....I gave my semi-girlfriend one as a gift.... /QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps a semi-flashlight would have been in order, like 1/2 of an E2, or an entire Mag Solitaire?

Brightnorm

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by geepondy:
Instead of ever using the light even once, she put it in her knick knack case with the box open, nestled amongst very expensive crystal. The included Duracells will undoubtably get their shelf life tested. I get a big laugh whenever I see it and give up trying to extoll the virtuals of the light as a light to her.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">LOL, that paints a funny picture, for some reason, though I can understand her reasoning. It's nice she at least appreciates it in that manner- if I gave mine one, it would probably end up buried somewhere in short order..
A Dorcy Cool Blue is as far as I'd go -
grin.gif