Which Flashlight do you use as a police officer??

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess your agency does not require a full size primary light. Mine does.

USM0083

Enlightened
I'm issued a SF 8AX, which sits behind my holster. My personal G2Z with a Cree dropin is in a V70 holster on my weakside. I carry a Tiablo A8S in my back pocket (or jacket pocket, if it's cold out.)

BigD64

Enlightened
I carried a Streamlight Stinger for years. Now I carry the wall of light, Surefire L4. L5 is good too. My department just changed guns to S&W M&P 45 and I've got a Surefire X300 for it. Nice Beam on the X300. Just as bright if not brighter than the L4. Forgot to mention I'm inner city and seldom require a light with massive throw but I have a Lumapower MRV Q5 in the trunk bag just in case.

Last edited:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
For :twak:, no doubt. :laughing:

I was suspecting that, but don't they carry baton(ASP, nightstick, not sure of the name in english) as well? Much better suited for *** whupping than a flashlight. Makes it kind of redundant of carrying around a big *** flashlight as well.
And LAPD recently banned all aluminium lights(allthough the reason was lame, they got a good light out of it).

elt1

Newly Enlightened
Duty issue is a recently upgraded black Surefire G2 LED. Used to be a Streamlight PolyStinger.

Only thing is the Surefire will now run off CR123s which will be more expensive for the department in the long run vs the rechargable pack of the Stinger.
However, members were having problems with the charger: poor battery capacity and a variable lottery for the runtime off of new batteries.:scowl:

I'm in a plainclothes unit and right now am carrying my new Jetbeam C-LE Ver.2 Q2 BIN - have to say I am pretty impressed with the UI (I like the "last level" memory) and throw but wish it was a forward clicky. I will probably carry my NovaTac once I get greenLED's paracord tether... (but I'll still carry the Jetbeam should I have to loan someone my light- which I had to do today... aint no LED newbie touching my NovaTac!):tsk:

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was suspecting that, but don't they carry baton(ASP, nightstick, not sure of the name in english) as well? Much better suited for *** whupping than a flashlight. Makes it kind of redundant of carrying around a big *** flashlight as well.
And LAPD recently banned all aluminium lights(allthough the reason was lame, they got a good light out of it).

No we don't/aren't allowed to use the light as a blunt force object.

Yes we are issued batons.

The reason for the full size light requirement was because people would show up for duty with only a 2AA or 2AAA mini-mag.
The full size light would be 1) brighter that mini lights 2) have much longer runtime using C or D cells vs. AA or AAA, 3) you could attach a color (red/yellow,etc) wand/cone to the head to direct traffic. These rules were written 10-20 years ago & we all know there are many small lights now that are brighter than a 3D mag with = runtime. This wasn't the case back then & the rules still exist now. Even now it would be silly to use a tiablo A9S with a yellow traffic cone to direct traffic.

So any officer/deputy here that uses a new fangled, state of the art, expensive, CPF endorsed light, my response if GREAT idea, but you should still have a trusty old 3D mag in your bag with a wand so when there is a bad collision, fire, explosion, etc you can direct traffic for several hours without having to worry about the light going dead on you.

Last edited:

Brozneo

Enlightened
The cops in my country all use 2 or 3D Mags.... This is their issue (nice police logo on the lights) I've seen a few with normal MagChargers but that's it. The local Amb's (me) have lights issued to the trucks - 2 x Streamlight 3C's with 10 5mm LEDs, and Fire use some werid *** lights!

tick398

Newly Enlightened
OK...I just got home from work...and here is what I use.

1. A Surefire M6 with the LF HO-M3T in to give me about 80 + minutes (or two-3 weeks between battery changes).

2. A Surefire G2Z with Malkoff dropin on my duty belt as a backup.

3. In my bailout bag is an Arcmania Maxlite Extreme.

4. In my SWAT bag is my second M6 with HOLA.

I have a Novatac EDC 120T that I haven't worked into work yet and a Maxlite AA that is now retired to home duty.

And...half of the K-9 and SWAT guys are using my hand me downs...lol.

pete55555

Newly Enlightened
I've been through a lot of lights over the years. Up until a week ago I carried an Inova T5 on my belt with a Surefire E2E in my pocket for a backup. I have stopped carrying the T5 and have been carrying my 120T as a primary light until my BOG drop in comes for the E2E which will then be my primary and the 120T will be the backup. It's kind of hard to get used to the 120T because it's so small. It's just as bright as (and sometimes brighter than) the bigger lights everyone else carries. It gets a lot of attention when I use it and everyone sees so much light coming out of such a small flashlight. Also, taking the T5 off of my belt has allowed more room for my new taser. My weapon light is a TLR1 on my Glock 21, a Surefire X200 on the AR15 and a Surefire forend with led head on the shotgun. We have no regulations concerning what lights we can carry on duty. When I recently did some traffic control at night for a road construction project I clipped my Inova 24/7 onto my reflective vest. I just pre-ordered a Fenix T1 to play with. I spend a lot of time on slow nights in a local wooded area playing with my lights.

roof

Newly Enlightened
That's nice to hear from you all.

We got the Inova T4 on the man from the police. In the cars we have the standard Maglites. I find it difficult to choose between my light, because the Lumapower M1 hunter and the Inova T4 are both good.

The Fenix L2D give a lot less light than the lumapower and the Inova, that's why I have this in my Hatch duty bag. The Lumapower M1 hunter is smaller than the Inova T4 but the holster I used is the same. I filled the bottom to put my Lumapower in the radar holster which is meaned for the Inova T4.

Now I'm looking for a good holster for the Lumapower to put on my duty belt from Uncle Mike's.

But now there is a new led the Q5 or the Luxeon Rebel 100 led, it become more and more lumens:thinking:. That's why I ordered an upgrade set for my Lumapower M1 hunter (cree led) to Luxeon Rebel 100 led. Gives 180 lumens.

But I'm still searching for the perfect light for the police to wear at the belt.

Kato

Enlightened
My primarily lights consist of an upgraded Night-Ops Gladius and a Surefire X200B.

I have my department issued Stinger-LED and SL-20X as back-ups.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are issued a Mag 3D I never even used it actually. I carry on my belt either my Seouled H2X Typhoon or my SF Z2 with a BUG Cree drop in. in my patrol bag is my SL 20XP Led, 2C HA III ROP powered by 2 of AW's 17500's, SF L6 with red traffic wand for traffic control and my SF M3.

LarryC

Newly Enlightened
None issued by department.
I use a Streamlight SL-20XP mounted in car charger, Surefire G2 with Cree drop-in on duty belt, and Pelican Black Knight M-10 in bag as backup.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wasn't the police actually taught how to use mag as a emergency impact weapon? At least before all the PC crap and lawsuit started flying. I remember hearing this from a retired cop.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast

The reason for the full size light requirement was because people would show up for duty with only a 2AA or 2AAA mini-mag.
The full size light would be 1) brighter that mini lights 2) have much longer runtime using C or D cells vs. AA or AAA, 3) you could attach a color (red/yellow,etc) wand/cone to the head to direct traffic. These rules were written 10-20 years ago & we all know there are many small lights now that are brighter than a 3D mag with = runtime. This wasn't the case back then & the rules still exist now. Even now it would be silly to use a tiablo A9S with a yellow traffic cone to direct traffic.

So any officer/deputy here that uses a new fangled, state of the art, expensive, CPF endorsed light, my response if GREAT idea, but you should still have a trusty old 3D mag in your bag with a wand so when there is a bad collision, fire, explosion, etc you can direct traffic for several hours without having to worry about the light going dead on you.

Ah, thanks for the explanation. That pretty much explains it.

Latest posts