E.L. new "Monster Throw" Maglite drop-ins

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
I wonder how the MT-III with stack up against some other lights like the Dereelight DBS, Tiablo A9 Q5, Malkoff Mag drop-in...

I hope we see some real outdoor beam shots soon....

mr.squatch

Enlightened
Any info on what kind of voltages these things can take? Particularly the mt3. I can assume it'll run off 3 d's, but how bout an AA battery pack?

g

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The throw #'s don't look all that impressive, but that's probably because they are using smaller reflectors than the stock Mag reflector. These won't throw like a Tiablo, MRV, DBS, etc.

Last edited:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3LED 600 lumen drop in would be nice for a bright flood type light.

Here's a beamshot of the MT-III. I wouldn't describe it as a "flood type" light:

MT-3-FireLionIII-Beam-Comparison.jpg

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a beamshot of the MT-III. I wouldn't describe it as a "flood type" light:

MT-3-FireLionIII-Beam-Comparison.jpg

My bad, I thought the FireLionIII was the 600 lumen one. I thought the two beam shots were the two drop-ins, but now I see they are only showing the Monster Throw III's beam, compared to whatever the FireLion III is.

My bad. :)

Last edited:

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting, but I don't care for the single reflector model, might as well use the Maglite's reflector. For the Triple emitter, ok fine.

Don't like that it's only for 3 cell Maglites, would prefer 4 cell. If you need lighter or shorter you could go with a 4C light or 4C cells in a 3D light. Full tilt go 4D. More flexibility.

Aside from that, I'm sure it'll be a hit ;)

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're unregulated, direct drive; only for use with a 3C or a 3D Mag at the moment.
So don't go trying to hook one up to a quad bored 8aa in series Magmod if thats what you mean with the AA question. I'm very tempted by the 3 SSC drop in though.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Interesting, but I don't care for the single reflector model, might as well use the Maglite's reflector. For the Triple emitter, ok fine.

My thoughts on the single as well. Seems a bit silly to me....:thinking:

Any how, the triple looks very interesting but the heat sinking is causing me to raise a brow. That thin cup looks like it would get hot in a hurry, but I am interested in the first well done review of this drop-in.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
My bad, I thought the FireLionIII was the 600 lumen one. I thought the two beam shots were the two drop-ins, but now I see they are only showing the Monster Throw III's beam, compared to whatever the FireLion III is.

My bad. :)

Here is "whatever the FireLion III is:
http://elektrolumens.com/FireLion/FireLion-III.html

It is shorter in length than a Surefire L4 yet puts out 580 lumens

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well my take on all of these drop-ins for Maglites is if you're a true flashaholic, you shouldn't have a problem with owning everyone available. I think MattK can attest to my comment in regards to that as I said the very same thing when he was pushing the Terralux drop-ins just as Malkoff Devices started making his available. Now I know people will argue about the cost, but lets face the fact that most of us here probably spend WAY too much on this hobby anyway. As of right now, I own the Terralux K2 and self swapped SSCP4 dropin, Malkoff Devices and I'm about to order both an MT-1 and MT-3 from EL. It's a good thing Lowes had that Black Friday sale on Maglites and I stocked up. So I say live within your flashaholic selves and get as many mods as you can (or as many as your wallet will allow).

As for the reasoning behind the small reflector on the MT-1. I had a debate with EL on his forums about it. Personally I would've preferred that he would've used a larger reflector, but he wanted to make it simple with the space available. Using a 27mm IMS reflector will fit into his "cup" design without the need to modify or bore out the Mag head. He also said that in his opinion, that the beam using the stock Mag reflector isn't really useable for general use as you get a too much of a contrast between the tight hotspot and the spill. He said that with a 27mm reflector, you get a good balance between throw and spill. Personally, I do think that an IMS 27mm reflector used with an SSCP4 LED does produce a really nice output beam. Sure you don't get the killer throw a larger reflector affords, but it's far from bad either. Having used other flashlights with reflectors around that size, I can say that the throw is still pretty good.

Anyway, I just see that this is yet another good product that we can get to mod our beloved Mags...so Flashlight On People! :rock:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any how, the triple looks very interesting but the heat sinking is causing me to raise a brow. That thin cup looks like it would get hot in a hurry, but I am interested in the first well done review of this drop-in.

According the Wayne Johnson, the creator of the MT product, the base of the cup is .200" thick, and the cup presses tightly into the head of the Maglite. It also is pressed tightly against the end of the body of the light when assembled, so there should be no issue with heat. The SSC P4 at 1A doesn't develop a great amount of heat anyway...

If you question any area of this design, a simple forum message at the link above, or an email to [email protected] will provide you an answer very quickly. There is an in-depth discussion of the MT series at www.illuminationforums.com.

Last edited:

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
No regulation, huh? :thinking:

Is regulation really needed in this configuration, of 3 cells? Of course you know that NIMH batteries have a very flat rate of discharge, right? The nominal voltage of three NIMH D cells is approximately 3.6V, very close to the Vf of the LED (depends on LED bin.) So the brightness of the LED is maintained fairly constant. Not 100% constant, true. But neither is any regulation circuit perfect 100% (although buck regulation is really good.) But we're matching the Vf of the LED with the battery voltage nearly perfect. The best most efficient circuits have about 95% efficiency, right? That's the best. The worst can be as bad as 50% efficient, and typical boost circuits are 75% to 85%. But a boost circuit is not needed here, nor is a buck circuit. Perhaps a buck/boost? But why add a circuit at all? Certainly regulation does have it's merits, and I am not against regulation at all. But in this simple configuration, it simply is not needed, and just wastes precious power resources, and adds costs, both to make the product, and in the end, to the user. (flashaholics are users, you know. :) )

Alkaline D cells have a much higher voltage of 4.5V. A buck regulator could be used, or buck boost. And the output would be flat and fairly constant. But simply adding a small amount of resistance is all that is needed. This wastes power, true, and how much power wasted depends on the amount of resistance, voltage of batteries, Vf of LEDs, etc., and there is a formula for this, and some CPF people are experts at computing power loss in this manner. But what you get is, from 3D alklaines, powering a single LED, about 24 hours to 50% of original brightness. The first 8 hours or so, you cannot discern any drop in brightness. Well, this is not what many CPF flashaholics like, a flashlight that gradually diminishes brightness over a period of time, we like constant brightness for the life of the batteries. But, this configuration makes for a fantastic emergency preparedness flashlight. It will run on and on and on, for days. I typically have stopped testing after 72 hours, but it will last longer than that, easy. If you have a power failure, from tornado, huricane, earthquake, what have you, and lose power for a week, you can have light for 8 hours a night, for a week, easy, on the same set of D cells. Now, that is a nice thing to have around the house, or in the car.

So, if you want constant flat continuous brightness, use NIMH rechargables. If you want a light to be there, ready for use in emergency situations, or times when you really need a flashlight, it's there. Alkaline batteries hold their charge for a long time (do not do well in extreme temps hot or cold, though.)

So that is why I so often times design flashlights, and, this drop in, without regulation. From 1 LED, to 12 LEDs, works the same.

All that said, I do still like regulation, in certain applications.

Wayne

Last edited:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is another piece that comes with the MT-1 and MT-3. This is a plastic connector that has a which has the 4-40 SS bolt through the center.

MT1011Small.jpg

You need to remove the stock bulb with holder. Note: The edge of the tube needs to have the anodizing taken off.

MT1009Small.jpg

MT1010Small.jpg

Insert the plastic connector.

MT1012Small.jpg

Screw on the head with the module installed.

The light should be good to go!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I am amazed how bright this single SSC puts out!

IMO it kicks a** on the Mag Led drop in I had in the light!

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
not sure on the name " throw " it looks more like a flooder to me with those ims reflectors

SafetyBob

Enlightened
Can someone clue me in before I waste a lot of money on reflectors.

A big deep reflector offers throw? Orange peel to that reflector might add a little spill and a smoother light?

A smaller reflector (like those 16 and 12mm kinds), they give lots of flood type lighting with limited throw?

I am going to start on a 3xCree Q5 here in the next couple of weeks with the Cree 19mm reflectors from the Shoppe. What can I expect from these? I was under the impression I would get a heck of a throw with a good amount of spill.

Bob E.