what brand is better ??

eric1975

Newly Enlightened
looking to buy a new light and want to you what you think is better surefire, inova, or streamlight

djblank87

Enlightened
looking to buy a new light and want to you what you think is better surefire, inova, or streamlight

eric1975, I will be straight foward on this, by asking the above question you are opening a super can of worms that will lead into a pit of darkness and it will get ugly very fast and fist will fly and people will get crazy and well it is just nasty.

I would suggest you do this, instead of asking what company is better I would come in here with two or three lights from each company that meet your needs and then ask the following:

What light do you guys think would work better for the application I intend to use it?

Make sure to include the following:
1. Price you are willing to spend?
2. Size of the light you want?
3. Lumens output you would like?
4. Battery type you would like?
5. Primary or Rechargeable batteries?
6. Runtimes you expect?
7. Holster use or EDC use?

Do you see where I'm going with this? It turns ugly and is a waste becuase everyone in here will ask the same questions and then the thread will be 8 pages and we will still be at square one.

So just some friendly advice, I would come in and change the wording of the thread also include some answers to the questions I posted and you will get better answers.

PS: Asking the question you did is trolling to an extent. Becasue in a place like CPF that kind of question will only lead to a hot flame throwing dispute among members so becareful is all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's difficult to answer, there is no black and white when it come to flashlight brands. How and where do you intend on using the light? What is your budget? Do you have a preferred type of battery or form factor. Comparing some manufacturers to others can be like apples to oranges so you need to give us some info.

eric1975

Newly Enlightened
ok i am looking for a good hunting flashlight and all around light , i have had dozens of surefires and just maybe looking for something different i was looking at the inova X03 , the streamlight buckmasters twin task and the surefire L1 or the e2l outdoorsman

I totally agree with DJ, and his list of 1-7 should be a sticky on "How to buy a flashlight".:thumbsup:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Let's see how long it takes for someone to jump in with "Fenix Lights!"

Then let's see how long before this thread completely goes down hill.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's see how long it takes for someone to jump in with "Fenix Lights!"

Then let's see how long before this thread completely goes down hill.
Fenix L2D Q...
Oh sorry. :ohgeez:

*Backing slowly out...*
:p

Jokes aside, I couldn't said it better than Djblank, excellent post.
And I don't see why somebody couldnt recommend Fenix either? As long as everybody keeps it civil, recommend whatever light that would fit the needs of the OP.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
One more question, throw or flood?

IMO avoid the Inova because are a bit slippery and use a relatively inefficient LED. But they do feel like tanks and are good for a store bought light(there are better deals online).

P.S. you might also want to change the title to something like "Looking for a hunting light" so no one come to argue which light is the "best".

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok i am looking for a good hunting flashlight and all around light , i have had dozens of surefires and just maybe looking for something different i was looking at the inova X03 , the streamlight buckmasters twin task and the surefire L1 or the e2l outdoorsman

Still pretty wide open! :)

You might have a look at Wolf Eyes over on the Pacific Tactical website. I have four SFs, and have recently become a Wolf Eyes fan. Look at the Guider for a great rechargeable LED light, or the Eagle 4AX for a really nice incan. They also have some good, inexpensive HIDs in the form of their Boxers. I have tow of their HIDs, the Boxer 10W running CR123s, which is very compact. And the Shark, which is a rechargeable 10W/24W dual power HID with a multi-function LED tailcap.

LED tailcaps are available as options on many of their lights, and I have them on my Eagles. Nice.

Wolf Eyes seems to me to be solid as a rock. I like 'em :)

eric1975

Newly Enlightened
ok thanks for the info i just bought a new surefire L1 with the cree bulb i hope i like it

Monocrom

Flashaholic
An excellent light.

BTW, the Inova X03 is a fine light too. Two things though, the barrels on the X-series are indeed slick. A bit of friction tape wrapped around the barrel takes care of that. The momentary switches can be a bit stiff. Generally, I prefer Inova's T-series instead. Most of the X-series models have T-series twins. Only differences being the checkering on the T-series and the clickies on them as well. But you can't get T-series lights at Target.

jefflrrp

Newly Enlightened
I really like all kinds of lights. For duty-type, clubbish lights i go with Maglite, most of the time with a Terralux upgrade. For a decent light I wouldn't mind losing while running or walking, I turn to my Coast v2 tac-torch or Rayovac Sportsman-Xtreme. For normal edc use, I tend to pick my Coast Focusing Tactical or my new baby, a Surefire 6PL. :naughty: On the way for me via UPS is a new Surefire G2.

That being said, I have used all three brands you've mentioned and have found that each brand has lights that are good. The hard part now is picking for yourself, based on what bulb type, output, battery-life and characteristics you want.

I'd tend to stay with Surefire though. Their lights are bright, well made, and their customer service is superb.

Good luck. :huh:

Zenster

Enlightened

It's all about the "mission".

djblank87 has given the best advice, and the only thing I'd change about what he said is the order.
Price should be the last criteria, not the first.

There are now so many good, capable and full featured flashlights of all different sizes and bulb types, that if you sit down with dj's list, you WILL come up with several excellent choices (including some Fenix' as well :poke:).

Then the last thing to do is to compare their prices against build quality and you should be able to pick something perfect for your mission.
If after a time, you only end up with one light, then you don't have enough "missions". :naughty:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zippo lighter
It is a rechargable light with a decent runtime, good beam quality, good construction and a great warranty. :)
My most reliable lights are Peaks of the stainless steel variety. Inovas are very good lights although I have used only their X5 series. Arc makes a decent light although the new high powered LS series is slow to arrive.
All depends on what features, battery type, size and price you are willing to pay.

Rzr800

Enlightened
I think that it also comes down to support for whatever light you choose. If you find somebody that is willing to get up on this forum and press the flesh/kiss some babies much more than possibly the established guy coasting along on a long ago built reputation...consider the more hungry guy first. (he certainly deserves the business much more).

Found this to be true on the off-road forums...lots of vendors...few with 'the time' to mess with folks not buying $6000 long travel kits for a $10,000 rig.(which is when a few of the smaller guys moved on in; provided the service required and effectively ate their lunch...;) ).

Last edited:

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
this looks to be a suckers' thread, as almost any opinion is going to be attacked.

I guess though there is some value in discussing brands in general instead of specific flashlights (which we do all the time).

I think those that like Fenix (like myself) have a lot of good sense on their side. Fenix is putting out many useful models that are updated very frequently, and often bring the latest LED tech at reasonable prices and in good quality, tough (waterproof, HA III, etc.) formfactors.

They don't seem to be afraid that their latest offering will cause trouble for their older offerings - a consideration I think for companies, like SF, that still put out a lot of very expensive, incan flashlights - they don't want their LEDs to be so good as to obliterate their lucrative incan sales (not to mention battery sales, since these are higher for incans!).

Often if you are wondering whether a new flashlight from any company is worthy of your hard earned money, the first thing you should do is compare it with a similar Fenix product to see how it matches up - the Fenix's are the benchmarks against which others are measured.

The Inovas and SF's are tough, well built lights, but maybe because their main customer seems to be hidebound bureaucracies, they take their time to introduce the latest tech (speaking about today, not a few years ago).

Streamlight actually is more innovative in my opinion than either Inova or SF. The great thing about Streamlight is that they think of a particular need and design a light around it. I have several of their specialty lights, one covers UV needs but also has a selectable normal light output, another has a very focused beam (the Survivor LED, designed for firefighters), etc.

Just now they've come out with the Sidewinder, which is light, tough polymer based, MOLLE design, and has one strong white LED plus 3 colored LEDs, all of which can be individually controlled to various intensities. (now, they don't tell you what kind the white LED is, and maybe it's not going to turn out to be the latest tech, but no doubt this can be a useful light).

So if I had to order I'd put Fenix and Streamlight on top, with SF and Inova later in the queue. Once you start thinking about specific needs and flashlights, of course, smaller production or semi-custom and custom lights enter the picture.