How many Lumens is safe in a G2?

lightinsky

Enlightened
I have been watching all these threads about 200 lumen and potentially 250 -350 lumens cree drop ins for P60/61 and P90/91 lights. I just received a P4 cree drop in for my G2 and it is pretty bright. I think it is about 120-140 lumens. So what is the cut off for safe lumens in a G2 since it has a nitrolin body and I am aware of the aluminum head upgrade on newer G2L's being offered now from surefire.

cfromc

Enlightened
The absolute maximum would be hard to say because it depends on how long you want to run it straight through w/o shutting it off. I've run a 170 emitter-lumen drop-in for 30 minutes at a time with no problems and about 60+ minutes in a two hour time period, again w/o problems. I don't know if it would run constantly on a new set of batteries until the batteries died, but I don't doubt it. If you wanted to run a 240 lumen drop-in for 10 minutes or less at a time, I doubt you would ever have a problem.

lightinsky

Enlightened
Thats good to know because I wasn't sure if I got a 200+ lumen drop in if it would be a problem for the G2. Thanks for the input. As for now I will just enjoy my G2L and my other G2 with a cree p4 drop in.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the Bugoutgear 230 lumen drop in for my G2. I have been playing with it all week. It is at least as bright as my Olight T20 Q5 claiming to be 205 lumen and I believe it out throws the T20 marginally. I see no overheating issues yet. Claimed run time with a fresh set of Cr123's I think was 3.5 hours. Not bad, Not bad at all.

Bill

lightinsky

Enlightened
Yeah that bugout gear Q5 is nice. Wish I had the extra $ to chalk up but maybe next month. Any way there is a new Q5 on ebay that claims 250 lumens. The temperature keeps rising in this place. Neeeeed lumens neeeed lumens!!!