Lux V Tint?

lowatts

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a used SureFire L2 in excellent condition, but it has a strange (to me) tint. I can't seem to find any mention of this here when I searched, maybe someone reading this has seen this before. The beam is on the bluish-violet side on a white wall, especially in the corona, thought it appears white in normal use, but the hotspot has a very light greenish-yellow tint. :shakehead

Has anyone come across this before? Is it something I need to worry about, assuming I don't mind living with it? If it's a defect, and not just bad bin luck, I'd try contacting SureFire about it. The bright side is there doesn't seem to be any donut hole, unless this *is* the infamous Lux V donut hole.

I'd love to put an X bin on it but seems I missed the opportunity to buy one here at reasonable price just a couple of months ago. :sigh:

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Luxeon Lottery is in play again(Sounds like uneven phosphor coating). You could contact Surefire and get a replacement.

Or you could send it to Milkyspit to be modded to your specs but that would cost more.

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
That or the LED is a YA/YO binned LED that is on the "edge" (near the low corner of) either of those bins. Believe me, My jr.luxeon came with one of those purplish LEDs. Thing is, the Junior luxeon is easier to user modify. I would go with the same advice, contact surefire and get a new head from them (via Customer service)

daveman

Enlightened
The Luxeon Lottery is in play again(Sounds like uneven phosphor coating). You could contact Surefire and get a replacement.

Honestly, I feel for the original poster, but I don't think it's fair for Surefire to have to replace the light on account of the LED in it, which has just about nothing to do with its manufacturering line. Particularly due to the fact that the emitter is working, although with a fugly tint. I'd look into custom mods.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think SureFire should replace it. They can then bill whoever they get their LEDs from.
It might not be a defect coming from their manufacturing process, but they're the ones who sold the light. A bad beam quality might be acceptable for cheap DealExtreme flashlights, but not for an expensive SureFire.

That said, a SSC mod might be more desirable than a new LuxV. I'm not familiar with the Vs, though, so I don't know if SSCs are straight replacements or what.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had an L2 several years ago (my 1st Lux V); didn't care for the tint, especially on low and had an annoying hum(also on low).
Sold it and have purchased a L4 and then a U2 and both are very white, no dough nuts.I prefer the flood of the Lux 5 for walking and illuminating an area.

As as been mentioned........Luxeon lottery, most likely.

jeffb

Last edited:

lowatts

Newly Enlightened
Shine another Lux light next to it and see the tint change before your eyes. :)

I have an L4 with nice tint, maybe I'll strap it together with the two-tone L2. :D

Thanks for the replies everyone.