Best flashlight for $50

tkoden

Newly Enlightened
First of all I would like to say hi. You guys have an awesome site here with WAY too much info. I am looking for a small flashlight to replace my 2-AA mini mag which always seems to have dead batteries. I need something that I can take 4 wheeling with me but is small enough I can stick it in my truck and not worry about. My room mate has Coast LED Lenser and the light seems to be pretty good but a few people I have talked to said that coast lights have a poor build quality and its a PITA to get any warranty work done. I would prefer something that uses standard batteries (AAA, AA) but if you think something that uses a CR123A would be better let me know. So with those things in consideration what do you guys recommend for around $50?

Thanks,
Kirk

Last edited:

djblank87

Enlightened
:welcome: tkoden

For good AAA or AA lights you might want to take a look into the following:

www.fenix-store.com

They have some great packages as far as small lights with a lot of punch that use common AAA or AA. Runtimes will be good and you have different output levels you can put the light on.

I was going to suggest the Surefire G2L but it is over your price buy $15.00 plus it runs on CR123's. You get about three hours of constant brightness and up to 12 hours of usefull light output.

There are other options but those are the ones I would start looking at.

Last edited:

daveman

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF, Kirk. If you must have something that runs on AA batteries, I think most folks on the forum would agree the L2D CE from Fenix is your best choice. It takes 2 AA cells (alkaline or lithium), is multi-mode, and their latest model with a Q5 emitter shoots out 150~160 lumens out the front.

If you don't mind something that runs on cr123s, I would recommend either the Fenix P3D (the latest Q5 model) or the Surefire G2 (plastic body one), and drop in a power LED mod from the aftermarket. The P3D takes 2 cr123s, is multi-mode, VERY BRIGHT on max, and is only 4.5 inches in length.
The G2 is single mode, plenty bright, and very tough. The plastic body version is just about bombproof.

If you're going to buy Fenix lights, I'd recommend you taking advantage of Fenix-store.com's 8% discount and free shipping.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy tkoden, and welcome to CPF,
I really like my Fenix L2D-CE, so I think that is an excellent suggestion, however, just to give you another option, you might consider going this route. Upgrade your minimag to a very bright LED and add a set of NiMh AA rechargeable batteries. All well within your original budget:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-5k2.html

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IV0RD6/?tag=cpf0b6-20

This combo won't be quite as bright as the Fenix L2D-CE, but it should give you a very rugged little light AND what we call around here "guilt free lumens", which means you can use your light as much as you want, knowing that you don't have to constantly buy new batteries for it.

Of course the advantage of buying something like the Fenix L2D-CE is that you can still have your mini-mag as a backup light..... which we always think is a good thing to have.

So, look around CPF (especially the review area), keep reading, and pretty soon you will begin to see what light will work best for you. Happy hunting.

fishx65

Enlightened
My ATV combo is the 3AAA EOS headlamp and a 4AA Propoly (Seoul modded). I'd be fine with just the EOS but the Propoly would be great for a long walk back to the truck. These days you can have extreme brightness and long runtime.

Gaffle

Enlightened
Holy Moly Batman. You have some options here.

Tough Lights

1. Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Lux

Tough polymer body. Throw that is still very sufficient even though it is a Lux I. AA batteries. You can put lithium batteries in it for longevity in the trunk. Regulation is very good, 4 hours of runtime on NiMH. This light is does not produce a "wall of light", it is more for viewing at a distance, but it still has some usable spill. To reference, the older L2D CE with a Cree X-RE (not sure which one) had to be on turbo to max the lux produced from the ProPoly. Price $28.95. BatteryJunction offers a discount to CPF members.

2. MagLite 2AA drop-in : TerraLUX TLE-5EX Ministar2
The Mag series is well known about being tough. You can't have to put up some real effort to break one of these lights. The Ministar is brighter than the stock bulb/stock LED. According to BatteryJunction, the Ministar2 will increase battery life buy 2 hours. These drop-ins act somewhat like a regulated circuit. I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong) that when the LED hits a certain temperature the current to the LED is lessened to reduce damage. Even if the current is dropped this drop-in will be really bright. Carry it around for years, no problem. I don't know if you can put lithium AAs in the light. Made in USA. Price $24.95. BatteryJunction offers a discount to CPF members.

3. Jetbeam C-LE v2.0

I use this light in the "tough" category because of its HAIII anodizing. You can throw it down, roll it in the dirt, and basically just beat it up and the finish is all good. Jetbeam seems to have stepped up their quality. This light is only a AA. It has more output than the Streamlight, just not as much throw. The Mag may have more throw. Regulation in this light is good with NiMH. I don't know if you can use lithium. Price $29.95. This is with the BugOutGearUSA CPF discount.

Bright as Hell Lights

1. Fenix L2D-CE Q5

This uses the Latest Cree Q5 emitter. This sucker puts out a lot of light. The body is a bit slippery compared to the C-LE. No knurling on the L2D. Some people have filled the outside with O-rings, or bike tire inner tubes. When this badboy is maxed out it produces a "wall of light". The turbo will have as much throw (if not more) as the ProPolymer, but it will also light up a good chunk of the woods right in front of you. This is not a "punch through the fog" light. Runtimes are crazy. Regulation is about as flat as you can get. Price $62.50. Fenix-Store offers discounts to CPF members.

Fenix has a niche that other companies do not have. You can buy parts/bodies. You can purchase the L2D and then buy the L1D body later to "lego" a 1AA light, or you can purchase a P2D/P3D body to make a CR123 light. In the long run you could actually save money. Buy the bodies and you have 1 years worth of new lights. Cheaper to buy a body instead of a whole new light.

Unfortunately I only have 1 light in the bright category (and still in the $50 +/- range). There are a ton of lights available from DealExtreme, I just know nothing about them. Maybe someone can pipe in with a few more models.

dinocol

Newly Enlightened
I would highly recommend this:
https://www.fenix-store.com/product...d=226&osCsid=3c571e2aa3762364f2e225fb0686db72

Its $73 less 8% i think using CPF8 coupon code.

you get a flashlight in which you have the option to use AA or CR123 batteries. Very high output and long runtimes at lower modes. Compact size.. well, i just love it.. :D

Soshine 650mah rechargeable CR123a batteries from dealextreme.com, based on my experience, works great on this light. jst pair it up with an ultrafire charger and your all set!

Saiga

Enlightened
i'm also gonna recommend the surefire G2L. IIRC, they're $65 shipped from battery junction,minus the CPF discount, and they throw in several free batteries.

greenLED

Flashaholic
:welcome: tkoden

Yup, stay away from Coast. The first 2 lights that came to mind were the 4AA Streamlight Propoly, and then any of the Fenix. The main advantage of the Propoly over the Fenix would be the longer runtime. Both brands/models are tough and waterproof, so that's no concern.

medicmerlynn

Newly Enlightened
i know it is more than $50, but the Fenix P3D Q5 is easily the best light you can buy for your money. all the guys here sold me on it and after about a week of constantly flooding the forums with questions about it, and after spending about 2 hours on the phone with Trevor at FenixStore, i bought the Q5. haven't looked back... haven't needed to... haven't wanted to... the P3D Q5 is easily worth your money.

tkoden

Newly Enlightened
Any of you guys that are running the 123A batteries have any issues with availability when you are out and about or are they common enough that you can usually find some if the flashlight dies? Availability is the main reason that I shy away from these batteries. But I have noticed they pack a huge punch for the size battery. Thanks for the help.

I think I am leaning toward the Fenix 4 in 1 Powerpack P2D / L1D combo. I like the idea that the Fenix light bodies can be interchanged so if I want more light / run time I can buy a cheap body.

Last edited:

medicmerlynn

Newly Enlightened
tk, i use the rechargeables and have a recharger in the truck with me. if this seems to be a problem or you just don't like the idea of using 123s, check out Fenix's AA lines. in all reality though, if i know i'm going somewhere i won't have my charger, i'll pack the primaries and use them 'after' the rechargeables wear down. i constantly play with my P3D Q5, and in 13 days of owning it, i have recharged it once... and that was over a week ago. the light is simply ridiculous and the digital regulation is superb.

PJ

Enlightened
A Streamlight Survivor LED might be a good light to keep in a vehicle. It has high/low/flash mode, runs on 4 AA batteries and has great throw. It also has a usable clip on the back to clip it to a coat pocket. The only drawbacks are that is weatherproof but not watertight. I believe someone else dunked one in water and it did get into the light. Also the low is visually not much lower than high, but is claimed to run twice as long.

Here is a link to Brightguy.com with a description of the light.
http://www.brightguy.com/products/Streamlight_Survivor_LED_Flashlight.php

Also you might look into the Lowe's 2C cell Task Force light with the Cree LED.
I believe the package will say 60x brightness and Xlamp or Xled technology on the front. There is a thread on this light somewhere on CPF. C batteries are the same length as AA so you should be able to cobble together an adapter to allow use of rechargeables.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you really want cheap, you could look at Dealextreme's Cree/Seoul/Rebel section. The WF-606 looks like a Minimag and runs on 2 AA batteries(The 3W Seoul, the "Tonch" also runs on 2 AA batteries. On DX, stick with lights that have been getting good reviews). The Ultrafire C3 with 2AA extension tube has longer runtime with reduced output(but still much more then the Minimag). Most of the 1 AA lights there would also out lumen the Minimag. Shipping might take a month.

The Fenix L2D-CE(Brighter Q5 version) is a great light to start. Or if you want simpler, the L2T V2.0 is also a good light(Dimmer then the L2D-CE but still much brighter then the Minimag). Fenix store has a 8% off coupon for CPF users, "CPF8".

The high power LEDs of today can run on 1 AA and still be equal in brightness to a 2 CR123 powered Incandescent. So you don't have to go CR123 to have a bright light.

:welcome:

tkoden

Newly Enlightened
What do you guys think of the NiteCore Defender Infinity for a first time light? I can get it for $65 shipped which is closer to my budget.

I kinda worry about getting something from dealextreme since I am often out in the middle of nowhere and can't have a light that will break / not work when I need it. The prices are good but with something like this I think you get what you pay for.

Thanks again guys, I appreciate all the advice.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do you guys think of the NiteCore Defender Infinity for a first time light? I can get it for $65 shipped which is closer to my budget.

Probably the most hotly anticipated light ever to hit CPF. Only problem is that only a few samples have hit reviewers hands (great reviews so far). No one knows exactly when the production models will ever be sent (supposed to be soon, but who knows).

I'm waiting for mine...ordered several weeks ago...

tkoden

Newly Enlightened
Probably the most hotly anticipated light ever to hit CPF. Only problem is that only a few samples have hit reviewers hands (great reviews so far). No one knows exactly when the production models will ever be sent (supposed to be soon, but who knows).

I'm waiting for mine...ordered several weeks ago...

The light would be for a Christmas present (for me) so I am not too worried about the shipping date. There seems to be nothing but good reviews for this light.

Its a tough call between the Fenix, NiteCore, Surefire G2.

Lumenz

Enlightened
First, the NiteCore is only $60 shipped right now. It is supposed to be shipped out the end of this month / beginning of December.

I have several Fenix lights but my favorite Fenix light is the P3D. It is $60+ but I think it is definitely worth it. However, it uses CR123A batteries.

tkoden

Newly Enlightened
The $60 price tag is why I am interested in the NiteCore light. It looks like it will retail for almost $80 once the deal is over.

bbriand

Newly Enlightened
That NiteCore light looks fantastic! I would buy one but @ $40 shipping to Canada thats just too much cost to swallow. Is there / will there be a Canadian supplier for these lights?

Cheers,
Bill