What light when baby arrives? *Update-She's Here!!

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
What light when baby arrives? *Update-She\'s Here!!

AHHHH !! Won't be long now, she just started dialating @ 1cm.
What is it now, weeks, days? I'm flipping out, first timer, getting SCARED! Figured to help settle that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach I'd consider what light to take with me to the hospital when little Melody arrives. I know, I know, I'm gonna be too busy to play with any lights, but at least feeling it sitting in my pocket will give me the reasurance of knowing that the CPF gang is there with me giving me their support.

Ok, ok...now, there's the arc aaa, or photon, or pt attitude....*trying to put images of videos from birthing class out of my mind right now*.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

**********Edit-04/02/2003*********

She's Here!!!
Arrived a week early- first April Fool's Baby at St. Pete General Hospital in 2003. Name= Melody Marie, 6lbs-9.4ozs, 19.5 inches and looks JUST LIKE ME!! [thank God she got the good looks in the family]

All the other women in the family are ticked off because momma only had a 8 hour labor and everything went so smooth for her and this was her first birth. I also want to shake hands with Mr. Epidural for being a God send.

As a side note, once it all started happening, well I was running around like a complete idiot with my head cut off [somewhat akin to a chicken with its head cut off but worse]. It reminded me of the Flintstones episode when Pebbles was born [except my baby was prettier] and all I had with me ws my Photon 2 [which is one of my favorites anyways]. I am thinking of getting some Photons or Arcs or Ultras as gifts for the nurses, I think they would come in really handy for them. And thanks to all the replies to the original post for suggestions and advice [though luckily all went well and there was no need for momma to use a 4 D cell M*g to beat me with---oh thank you Mr. Epidural].

Well gotta get going now, as you all can well understand. Let me part here by saying that I would rather take out the garbage 4 times a day, wash the dog every 3 days, and change the oil twice a month than do diapers [yuck!!]. But I am getting better at it, I can even do it without wearing rubber gloves now [but I still stuff my pockets when the nurses aren't looking]. Now to mod a light with a built in vacum to suck up all the goo when she spits up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

avusblue

Enlightened
Re: What light to take when baby arrives?

Forget about the light. Your purpose should be to make mama feel like a queen. Be sure to have a gift for mama after the little one is born. Jewelry is good . . . perhaps a pendant with your baby's birthstone. You'll be golden if you surprise her. You'll be glad you thought ahead, after you see what she'll go through. Good luck and God's blessings,

Dave

(PS have an Arc AAA in your pocket just in case. Its small and she'll never know!)

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, if you make it fine to the hospital, you will be fine with whatever you have! Trust me, they have PLENTY of lights in the OR!

Now, if something happens and you end up delivering the baby on the side of the road, in the middle of the night, you are going to want a LOT of light!

Headlamp at least, or a 1aa light that you can hold in your mouth.

A flourscent lantern.

Emergency lights to put outside the car.

A really big light (like a Mag lite 6D) for your wife to hit you over the head because you didn't gety her to the hospital on time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

<font color="blue">avusblue</font> - Now that's what I should have done 16 & 14 years ago...Our "gift" was the priceless birth of our babies, but your suggestion would have been so special. That's something you should highly consider webley445, everytime your wife, you, and Melody look at it, it will be so special and perhaps something for the child to inherit some day.

<font color="blue">BuddTX</font> - Now you have some very practical suggestions that hopefully webley won't need, but still the prep is wise!

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast

only on cpf! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,

I was thinking an M6, X990 or similar to help keep melody warm. Or, if you really want to surprise your wife with a gift you could give her one of the above in the middle of her labor. I promise you she will be surprised. Remember to stay out of throwing range after you hand it to her. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wishing yall the best for a fast and safe delivery. The whole process is absolutely amazing.

Darell

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
avusblue said:
Forget about the light....You'll be golden if you surprise her.

[/ QUOTE ]Wait... aren't these comments at odds? I'm thinking that a nice light as a gift would REALLY surprise her.

Kidding.

Wow - this is a great time. If you ever thought you were pressed for an extra hour in a day, you'll be wondering when each day became only 12 hours very soon. Good luck with the birth, my friend. Can't wait to meet Melody.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Darell, reference your sig (The sound of freedom is but a soft whir)....you ever get the chance to hear/see an <font color="blue">F-15E Eagle</font> in full afterburner on a run straight at or over you?

Can't even hear them until they are right on top of you and then the ROAR (don't really know how to describe it!) of the engine in A/B whoooshing past (of course if you were the enemy it would be the last thing you heard!)...<font color="red">ABSOLUTELY OVERWHELMING!!!</font>

<font color="red">"That's</font><font color="blue"> the</font> <font color="red">sound </font><font color="blue">of</font> <font color="red">Freedom</font><font color="blue"> to</font> <font color="red">me!"</font>

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just went through this in December . The only light I needed was my Infinity Ultra for stumbling around the hospital room after the birth at night in the dark while my wife slept (I slept there both nights).

So my suggestion would be a small pocketable LED, and take avusblue's advice and get her a gift.

Enjoy the experience, take plenty of pictures, video, notes, whatever it takes to document this momentous occasion. I actually took notes on my PDA while my wife rested between contractions documenting all that was happening, names of nurses, room numbers and such so in the years to come we can look back and remember the details.

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
you ever get the chance to hear/see an <font color="blue">F-15E Eagle</font> in full afterburner on a run straight at or over you?

Can't even hear them until they are right on top of you and then the ROAR (don't really know how to describe it!) of the engine in A/B whoooshing past (of course if you were the enemy it would be the last thing you heard!)...<font color="red">ABSOLUTELY OVERWHELMING!!!</font>

<font color="red">"That's</font><font color="blue"> the</font> <font color="red">sound </font><font color="blue">of</font> <font color="red">Freedom</font><font color="blue"> to</font> <font color="red">me!"</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen this at the local air show in a naval base. I don't remember if it was a F-15, but you can see the jet silently coming across the runway then the moment it passes by BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif It knocked some people off their seats!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that wrath!!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

I've seen and heard it hundreds of times...everytime the feeling's the same for me!

I don't know how many of you have ever had the opportunity to participate in a "Retreat Ceremony" (Just as reveille greets the morning of the official duty day, retreat announces the end of that day and the U.S. Flag is taken down.) But to watch the U.S. Flag as it is slowly lowered while listening to the "Star Spangled Banner" or "To The Colors" and thinking of all those who have served, died, been wounded, and those who are serving now...Really an emotional experience. Everytime I hear the Star Spangled Banner at an event I get this "lump" and respectful feelings.

This is the same feeling I get when I see/hear any of our United States Forces doing their jobs! That afterburner display is symbolic of so many things as well as icing on the emotional cake!

Webley, here's wishing, hoping, and praying that your new child will continue to benefit and enjoy the Freedoms we have gained and earned as a result of all those serving their Country, past/present/future!

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good luck with the baby! Grab any 1W LED and you will be fine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brock

Flashaholic

I'm with Tree on this one. I also spent 2 nights in the hospital with my wife and son 10 months ago. A good dim LED light is perfect for checking the baby every 2 minutes, you know, to make sure everything is ok. I used an Arc on a lanyard. It came in very handy at night.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

... <font color="purple">Melody </font> ...

What a lovely name. Can't help but think dad had something to do with that.

Please keep your support team updated.

avusblue -

Good one.

Darell

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
you ever get the chance to hear/see an <font color="blue">F-15E Eagle</font> in full afterburner on a run straight at or over you?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup, lots of times, in fact. The most memorable (since I wasn't in the least prepared for it) was over my car in Nevada. Plane at about 500', then heading ballistic immediately after crossing over us. I thought I was gonna die. The sound excites me to the point of intoxication. Yet the sound of gulping fossil fuel doesn't tend to make me think of freedom first. It makes me wonder who died for the fuel, actually.

Oooh! Way off topic... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif ...but at least it wasn't even my fault (at first). This is stuff for another thread and another time. We're celebrating life and flashlights here!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

This could be a unique opportunity. Forget the liquid helium dunk, the 100 foot scuba dive, the washing machine torture! Here's our chance to REALLY test the Arc AAA; is it....MECONIUM-PROOF?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif ??

I'll do it ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

..and best wishes! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Greta

Flashaholic

Ted... how many /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif's is that this week alone?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast

EEEEEEEEEWWWWWWW!! I did my sons first diaper change and got to experienc it in all it's glory.

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Tree said:
EEEEEEEEEWWWWWWW!! I did my sons first diaper change and got to experienc it in all it's glory.

[/ QUOTE ]

As Robin Williams described it "Part Velcro, part nuclear waste". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Dan