• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Regulation of low output Baltic: any different?

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

I may have a stupid question, but please shed some light on it.;)

A regular HP Pacific is regulated (alkaline) up to a point where regulation stops and output suddenly drops by some 40% or 45%. This drop is sudden and quite visible with my HP Pacific.

I also have a low output (50cp) Baltic. As a Baltic is said to have the same electronics as a Pacific: will this XLR version also drop suddenly by some 40% or 45% ? Or is the regulation on these XLR versions "flatter"??

Does Robin know?:thinking:
(as Robin is a nice person, I am sure she will reply :thumbsup:)

Please help me out,
Joris

PS: my HP McKinley seems better regulated than the UP McKinley on Flashlightreviews. So: lower output --> better regulation?

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
Great question. With my low power Pacific and Baltic's, I have yet to run a cell long enough to have the light dim. Maybe, I should go somewhere darker? Or hope for a several day power outage?

Curt did tell me when I bought my P4 Pacific (low) to expect a 40 hour run time with no dimming followed by 72 hours of lowering output (can't remember which specific AA cell he said).

RobynS

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I may have a stupid question, but please shed some light on it.;)

A regular HP Pacific is regulated (alkaline) up to a point where regulation stops and output suddenly drops by some 40% or 45%. This drop is sudden and quite visible with my HP Pacific.

I also have a low output (50cp) Baltic. As a Baltic is said to have the same electronics as a Pacific: will this XLR version also drop suddenly by some 40% or 45% ? Or is the regulation on these XLR versions "flatter"??

Does Robin know?:thinking:
(as Robin is a nice person, I am sure she will reply :thumbsup:)

Please help me out,
Joris

PS: my HP McKinley seems better regulated than the UP McKinley on Flashlightreviews. So: lower output --> better regulation?

Hi Joris,

From Curt -

The Pacific and the Baltic electronics operate as a hybrid power source. When adjusted for HP, UP or SUP output the electronics act as a constant current supply as long as the battery can supply the current required. When the battery can no longer supply the required current, the electronics change to a voltage boost supply operation. The output is then about half of the original with the typical decreasing output as is normal with voltage boost circuits with high outputs and alkaline batteries. Lithium, NiMH and Lithium-Ion batteries will cause the electronics to operate as a constant current supply only.

In the XLR output Pacific and Baltics, the electronics do not change operating modes. Typical alkaline run times are: AAA - 17 hours constant with a slow gradual decline in output. AA - 40 hours constant. Premium AA, (high capacity), 46 hours constant with a long slow gradual decline. No visible drop in output.

I hope this helps - if you have any further questions, please let us know.

Have a great day!

Robyn

Latest posts