Charging NiMH in the torch

iggs

Newly Enlightened
I've got a plan to build a 4 or 5 LED light using an old 2D Maglite, maxflex driver and 8 NiMH cells

I'd like to be able to just plug my charger into a socket on the tail cap to charge the batteries

Is it just as simple as taking 2 additional leads off the battery to a socket so that it will charge when the torch is off or is there something more complicated I need to do?

Thanks

Ian

Flashlight Enthusiast
There really isn't anything more complicated to it, but you should halance the cells occasionally simple as charging each on on its own after discharging each one on its own.

laserblue

Newly Enlightened
of course you should also know the self-discharge rate of the cells so that you will know when to trickle charge.

ledaholic

Enlightened
Contact Fivemega, his AA > D battery adapters have a built in chg jack. You can drill a hole in the tailcap and use a plastic plug from the hardware store to keep out dirt/moisture if you dont want to remove it for charging. Installing a chg jack in the tailcap is ok except for winding up the wires when you screw on or off the cap.

iggs

Newly Enlightened
Contact Fivemega, his AA > D battery adapters have a built in chg jack. You can drill a hole in the tailcap and use a plastic plug from the hardware store to keep out dirt/moisture if you dont want to remove it for charging. Installing a chg jack in the tailcap is ok except for winding up the wires when you screw on or off the cap.

I'll look into that. The winding up of the wires is one of the glitches I'm thinking around. The advantage of a jack in the cap would be that it wouldn't have to come on and off very often, only to replace old tired battery packs.

I was thinking that I could maybe pre wind it to sat 2/3 of the rotations I would need, it would depend on how much wire I had to play with too

hhmmmmm