Any Lux lights work well with a Cree?

fishx65

Enlightened
Gotta couple Crees laying around. Anyone have any luck modding any of the old lux lights with a cree? I know that Seouls are a better choice for old lux lights but I want to use these for something.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotta couple Crees laying around. Anyone have any luck modding any of the old lux lights with a cree? I know that Seouls are a better choice for old lux lights but I want to use these for something.
I had great success using the reflector from a 3 AAA Brinkmann I got at Target. It worked VERY well. It of course needed to be shaved slightly to allow the cree to come futher into the reflector in order to be in focus.

fishx65

Enlightened
I have that Brinkman in a 3 watt version and it also was sold in a 1 watt. It's a plastic light and the lux is held down with 2 screws, Right? Looks like shaving the reflector would make the Cree sit lower cuz the reflector is held in by the top of the screw in module. Are you sure you had to shave the reflector? Thanks for this idea! I just put the reflector from the Brinkman over one of my Crees and it had a pretty nice beam.

fishx65

Enlightened
Thanks Bluster! I modded my 3 watt Brinkman last night with a Cree. Had to raise the star a lot so it would go further into the reflector. Much brighter then the 3 watt and the beam is pretty good for a Cree-smooth-reflector. Like all luxeons, I'm sure a Seoul would give a much smoother beam.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Bluster! I modded my 3 watt Brinkman last night with a Cree. Had to raise the star a lot so it would go further into the reflector. Much brighter then the 3 watt and the beam is pretty good for a Cree-smooth-reflector. Like all luxeons, I'm sure a Seoul would give a much smoother beam.
Glad it worked for you. One of the nice things with this reflector is when you've shaved off just the right amount to allow the cree to slip into the reflector it is also the perfect amount for it to be in focus. The cree with this can really throw far for its size. I put this reflector into my "kenbar" from DX and run it at about 1400mA. Its a nice pocket rocket.