Making surefire lego...need advice

phil000

Newly Enlightened
So as the title says I'm making a surefire frankenlight (actually more like a 6pd with mystery head). I have the 6pd body and tailcap...what head should I get? I have a Trustfire Alpha C1 Q4, and the module is 6p compatible, but if you look at x2x3x2's review, it gets weird on 18650 (even though I will most likely be using 17670s...)
http://www.lightreviews.info/q4_wc_module/review.html

So, I went looking for a head. I saw a pretty cool one @ lighthound...it wasn't outrageously priced either...
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2894

The question here is:
What's a good module for under 20? (I'd love one that has a true low low)
Is there any other place that sells 6p compatible heads?

Am I overlooking anything here?

Body - check
tailcap -check
module -want different one
head - missing
batteries -I have rcr for now, 17670 on the way...

Thanks for any advice...
Phil

Well-Lit

Newly Enlightened
So, I went looking for a head. I saw a pretty cool one @ lighthound...it wasn't outrageously priced either...
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2894

Thanks for any advice...
Phil[/quote]

Phil, I have the lighthound head on my 6P. I like it alot. It seems to be well made and matches the 6P body quite well. The lens/window is Pyrex. I confirmed that with John before I ordered it.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Best Regards:
Bob

phil000

Newly Enlightened
I used this one from Lighthound when I also added the grippy 1-cell extension to my 3P:

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1204

It worked well and cost less. I liked the all black and it comes with a plain ring too if you don't want the strike bezel.

I figure the more stainless steel I have in the head, the better it will heatsink...And there is a fully SS head on there, but 30$...before shipping is a bit intense...

Thanks though!

Phil

phil000

Newly Enlightened
really stupid question, but Pila flashlight accessories aren't compatible with surefire (i.e. led tailcap) are they?

phil000

Newly Enlightened
well here's my early Xmas present:
2 protected 17670s
1 Q4 WB 5 mode module for 6p
and the head with the stainless ring...

...yay...all in all about 2x what I've ever paid for a flashlight

...this thing better kick butt.

phil000

Newly Enlightened
YAY it's done!!
I also got a solarforce clicky with the cree q4wb 5 mode drop in.

And that makes a LOT of difference. The only problem now is my light is about 3/4 of an inch longer :/

And the only 'surefire' made thing on it is the body. But I really like it.

Thanks for all the advice guys :)
phil

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I too have recently discovered the wonderful world of the classic Surefire modular format and have been lego'ing them too...but I've been sticking to the inexpensive and basics. I haven't gone into trying any of Leefgear custom bodies yet, but may somewhere down the road. I like the Solarforce parts alot because they're decent quality and are of course cheap in cost. The stainless steel bezel one is made by them and I have one myself. I also own a couple of Solarforce L2s (arguably one of the best inexpensive Surefire 6PD clones out there) just for lego'ing and part swapping. If you want to replace the classic Surefire LOTC twisty tailcap, the Solarforce reverse clicky tailcap is a good choice. If KD or DX ever start selling bare forward clicky switches, the Solarforce tailcaps can be easily modded.

CPF member marcdilnutt added a 1" Leef Grip and Leef McClicky Tailcap to his 6P, which gave me some ideas:

img1458mediumwm2.jpg

I have since purchased a couple of those Leef Grips from Lighthound. So now my 6P has a CreeXRE Q2 drop-in (assembled by me), Leefgrip, Solarforce Stainless Steel Bezel Head on it and Clicky Tailcap on it. I love that setup so far...looks cool and tactical and all I need now is a bare forward clicky switch and I'll be set...maybe get my hands on a Malkoff M60 drop-in to top it off.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you considered the SF Z32 + UCL, or SF M2 bezel (head)?

I'm not in law enforcement or the military and don't don't own a gun, so I can't say I have a need for any of the shock isolation heads. I prefer the crenulated type heads like the one on the 6P Defender or it stainless steel clones from G&P or Solarforce. And I have found that most people who could use a 6P type flashlight as an EDC don't have a need for Z32 or M2 heads either. But then again, it may simply just boil down to preference...