EDC strategy

LedZep

Newly Enlightened
In my quest for the perfect edc light, I think I'm finally realizing that I can't get just one light that will do it all. I'll probably get a few, and rotate them depending on need and what I want to carry. I'm thinking of Surefire L1, Olight T10, Wolf-Eyes Sniper, and Fenix L1D. Now my question: has anyone carrying a light that uses 123's ever been in a situation where you needed a battery, but couldn't get one because of the more unusual 123 format (as opposed to the more common AA)? This will help steer the direction I go in choosing my lights. Thanks everyone!

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both battery types are relatively common in the USA. But I have been in a couple places away from tourism, mom and pop type stores, looking for CR123's for a camera. I haven't yet found my perfect EDC either. So I carry a couple lights. Usually both CR123 and a AA. The thing is that not everyone has the luxury that I do of always being within 50' of my manpurse. So if I were stuck with pocket carry I'd go for a AA myself. Still more common than a CR123. But if I had to choose only 1 light with access to my bag with spares or with knowledge that I could buy/ charge more, I'd go for CR123. I think CR123 lights are generally a bit better but the availability of AAs still can not be beat.
Did that make any sense?

Rzr800

Enlightened
Looking at what's available for the buck (today) in everyday or universally rechargeable battery EDCs; this forum newbie has come up with the not-yet-produced 2AA Infinity (CPF priced) and relatively inexpensive Photon Rex; along with the new (AAA) Fenix LOD Q4.

As mentioned previously, double and triple As are everywhere and these 3 lights seem to represent their respective classes fairly decently at this time.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never run into a situation where I needed a CR123 battery and could not get one. Granted they are not as accessible in some stores but I just carry spares if I am some place where they are not available. I suppose it's good practice to carry spares anyway.

LedZep

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys - I guess each has it's pros and cons. It just seems many people love a particular light as an edc for various reasons - whether usefulness, ease of carry, or security (ability to obtain a constant supply of batteries no matter where you may be). What a cool hobby!

scottaw

Enlightened
I carry spares , 2 in the car, a bunch in the camping pack, and 2 in the pocket if i think i'll need them. And i rotate through my ML-1, Cree L1, 120P and P2D for edc use. Haven't had a problem yet. If i know im running low on juice i'll switch to a lower light level.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
.... has anyone carrying a light that uses 123's ever been in a situation where you needed a battery, but couldn't get one because of the more unusual 123 format....

Nope!

My main EDC light is one of several 2xCR123 powered, clip-carried lights. I usually also EDC a key-chain light. (Often a Photon II or Inova Microlight. Sometimes both). The key-chain light is what normally gets used for most of my lighting chores. The main EDC is for when I need a lot of light for very short periods of time.... Like last week when I left work at about 5:30pm, and the Employee Parking Lot was pitch black because no one bothered to turn on the overhead lights. I parked close to the Admin building and only needed to use my SF E2d for a few seconds to make it to my car.

My job doesn't require me to travel. But if it did, I'd use a neat little 2xCR123 belt case I picked up at a B&M shop in Manhattan. The small nylon and velcro cases are handmade by a former employee of the shop, and are definitely worth the $12 asking-price. Unobtrusive, and easily blends in with a black, leather belt.

So I'm good to go! :twothumbs

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far so good. Have not come across a time where I desperately need a CR123. I mainly use 2 lights to edc, a mule and a PD-s. I do carry a spare rechargeable but so far its just being a spare.

Zenster

Enlightened
Thanks guys - I guess each has it's pros and cons. It just seems many people love a particular light as an edc for various reasons - whether usefulness, ease of carry, or security (ability to obtain a constant supply of batteries no matter where you may be). What a cool hobby!

I have to echo the comment about CR123's not being universally available, so for a very long time, I'll be staying with AA type lights for EDC.

You mentioned that you were considering the L1D as a possible choice, so you can have the best of both worlds in one package.
Fenix is offering a package that includes two bodies to where you can switch back and forth between CR123 and AA by just switching out the body.
A strategy for you might be to carry it as a P2D with CR123 battery, but if you get stuck without a spare CR123, you can switch out the body and just carry it as a L1D with an AA battery.
https://www.fenix-store.com/product...d=226&osCsid=7c9ae4ac0c940b48b7b9c864850e997b

Now there's a "strategy" fer' 'ya.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix 1xCR123 Q5 on my belt, with an Arc AAA on the keys as backup. If the CR123 starts to croak, I'll lose the high beam on the Fenix and know to keep an eye on it. Plus the Arc is always there just in case, tho it never gets used.

In more general terms, carrying a small but powerful EDC light fits in to my desire to carry the smallest available item that will do that job: Blackberry Curve (smallest Blackberry with fully qwerty keyboard); Explorer SAK instead of LM Wave; J-frame S&W in pocket instead of toaster oven sized 1911 on my belt, etc.

right on

GreySave

Enlightened
<< realizing that I can't get just one light that will do it all. I'll probably get a few, and rotate them depending on need and what
I want to carry. >>

That's exactly the way I think. Depending upon circumstances, I may have a need to a powerful flood. On other occasions it may be throw. Sometimes it can be both within an hour of each other, or perhaps a need for low a low powered light. The best way I found to solve that dilemma was to carry what I believe I would need for that day based upon expectations. If I suspect that we could be activated I may carry as many as three lights in a belt mounted small camera case available through Best Buy. It will hold three lights comfortably, one of which can be as long as a WE Raider (3 cell 123A). It also has a small area in the front that easily carries a 4 or 6 spare battery case (flat case). Other spares are available in my vehicle which "should" be available much of the time. On a normal day I just carry one light in a Mexpedition or WE belt mounted sheath with the spares in the vehicle.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
While traveling abroad it can be difficult to find them.

But availability is not the only issue - there is also price! I've walked into US-based stores only to find the CR123A's sold at as much as $9 a piece! (this was at a Ritz Camera store).

So if you need one urgently, you might not have the luxury of waiting to order them via the internet and wait for them to be delivered.

Of course, with good planning, supply at a good price can indeed be had.

Personally, I use both CR123A and AA small formfactor flashlights, and when traveling will usually prefer a AA formfactor.

BigD64

Enlightened
Lumapower M3 comes with all parts to run either AA or 123's. You can also add a turbo head for longer throw. Puts out decent light and has a 2 stage clicky.

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened
The lack of availability of CR123's at Fred's Bait Shop is why I've steered away from CR123 based lights until recently. And yep, that's a real store. You can get AA's there, but not CR123's. If you don't mind driving 30 miles from the lake to a Walmart so you can buy 2 of them for 9 bucks, go ahead.

With the advent of RCR's all you have to do is take the charger with you on a trip and you're good to go. I always take spare primaries too, but rarely use them. I've taken the plunge and now EDC a Olight T20 Q5. However I normally have a CL-E twisty in a pocket too. I'm also exploring the use of 17670's in the T20. They last longer than the RCR123's but I lose mode switching, the light just runs on the highest setting that it's got voltage for. It's OK, but I'm only going to use them for spare batteries, because I like the ability to use low. If for some reason I'm caught short on batteries, the 17670 will give me a pretty long runtime.

I try not to "rotate" lights as invariably I'll need the one I don't have. With the CL-E and T20 I've got most of the bases covered. If they ever make a LOD Q5 or R100 I might replace the CL-E with it, or just add it to the keychain. Then I'll have lights in three battery types and I should be able to find batteries for at least one of them.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
While traveling abroad it can be difficult to find them.

But availability is not the only issue - there is also price! I've walked into US-based stores only to find the CR123A's sold at as much as $9 a piece! (this was at a Ritz Camera store).

Remember the APS rage in cameras a few years ago? Supposed to be as good as 35mm but with a lot of automation, etc. Well, it died when digitals got so cheap, but APS file cases can still be found, and with a little effort one can fit 2 CR123As in a case. Makes a great storage case to throw into pocket, purse, or case. Just go to any in-store photo processor and ask if you can look at their empty film cases. They are usually more than happy to let you.

Numbers

Enlightened
When I KNOW my light will be used, I carry two thereby always having spare batteries along, carried in the second light. Additionally, if I am not certain of the battery condition I will carry at least 2 spare batteries. That along with spares always in my car, in my home and at my office I have never had an issue.
With runtimes today I would think this is issue is not as important as it once was. In fact I now use only primaries only in my most effecient lights. All my lights except my Arc AAA are 123's

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the five years or so that I've been carrying 123-cell powered lights, I've never needed to break down and buy batteries at a B&M store. If I'm going to return home within 12-24 hours of leaving, I typically don't carry spares. If I'm going away for more than 24 hours, I carry spares with me. The cars each have a 123-cell powered light in them, so I could rob the batteries from them if I needed them for my EDC light/s.

For the past few years, my EDC has consisted of an ARC-AAA-P, a single 123-cell LED light (used to be an ARC-AAA LSH-P, now it is a Fenix P1-CE), and if I feel the need for something brighter, I'll usually add a SF E2e w/ E2C adapter and a P61 bulb.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
i personally wear a maxpedition waist pouch i think M1, and it holds 4 spare Cr123 batteries in the kai 2x cell holders, 2x P3D , Cell phone. I am never ever without light or spare batteries EVER.. Why do i carry so much? because i have the room and i want to fill it. I would always carry 2 sets of batteries for your edc. If you got a 1 cell light, then always have 2 batteries spare. since i use 2 cell lights mostly, i carry 4 batteries.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
here in australia CR123s are too expensive to buy in the normal shops if you can even find them
the cheapest i have found is $6 each, with some shops selling them for $15 each
they are pretty common, available in most grocery shops, Petrol stations and camera shops, but for the price of a years worth of 123s here in australia i can order a rechargeable for each light, a charger and 10 primarys as spares - which is what i did

my EDC light is a novatac EDC120p
on my gadget keyring i have a Fenix P1, which doubles as a spare battery carrier
there is 2 spare primarys in my camera bag, along with an Inova 24-7
and if i know i am running low on juice in any of my lights, they get recharged ASAP

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like my Olight T15... only thing is that it's only marginally smaller than my Fenix P3D's... about a quarter inch shorter and probably not an eighth of an inch smaller in diameter.

I don't know what everyone uses their edc for, but the T15 gives me a good deal of light on the dimmest setting and 99% of the time I leave it on low. I really like the beam with it's hybrid reflector, a nice small hot spot with a spill that doesn't go on the wall next to me. The low seems about twice as bright as the P3D's low, so I'm not struggling to see with it and it's good to about 20 feet. I have the 4 other brightness levels for if I need more light.

About your question, I keep extra AA's at home, at work, in the car... and the flashlight on low is documented for 25 hours of runtime.

I wonder if anyone has had lithiums *poof* in their edc.

Last edited: