BrookStone 1xAAA Fenix E1 clone??

Marduke

Flashaholic
While browsing the Black Friday specials today, I found myself in Brookstone and found an interesting little light. Right next to their hideously overpriced Microbeam squeeze lights, I saw a 1xAAA light that looks suspiciously like a Fenix E1 knockoff. It came in black, silver, or blue, and was $20 each, or 2/$30. Had a cashier take one out and stick a AAA in it for me to play with, and it was considerably brighter and whiter than my Fenix E0 (only comparable thing I had on me atm). Both the head and tail twisted off, the threads were surprisingly well lubricated and decently machined, and it even had reverse polarity protection in the form of a raised o-ring around the positive contact. About the same diameter and length of my E0. The emitter looked like a Nichia Power LED, and the beam pattern was pretty good, as far as I could tell in the bright store. Was type-II anodized, and fairly thin walled. Didn't think to check for plastic or glass lens and plastic or aluminum reflector.

However, there is a sad part. Going against CPF tradition, I did NOT buy one... :(

I knew I had a red LOD CE Q4 in the mail (actually got it tonight, it's very nice btw), and the price to me was too high when I could get a real E1 for $24, or a much brighter B3 SSC for $19.

I just wanted to give a few of you a heads up incase you needed some stocking stuffers, since they did have 3 color choices.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Thanks for the tip, Marduke. I don't need another, but if it's as short as the E0 maybe I'll take a look.

Geoff

Bearcat

Enlightened
Anybody pick one or two of these up for a closer look?

I took look at them today, they were 2 for $25 or $15 each and was very close to the same size as my EO. The cashier removed it from the package and I put the battery from my EO into it to see how bright it was. It was a lot brighter than my EO, maybe more than twice as bright.

The sales girl thought that the flashlight had a run-time of 100,000 hours from what she had read from the literature, until I explained to her that it was "bulb" life.

I'm surprised that you didn't get one and do a run-time and some beam shots for us.:poke:

DaveG

Enlightened
I picked one up today,seems like a EO clone,not as well made,looks like a plastic lens,this thing is quite bright.For 2-$25, not bad if you need a cheap flashlight fix.Marduke and Bearcat were on the money on info on it.For the average non-flashlight type,not a bad light from what I can tell.No idea on run time.

Ayeaux

Newly Enlightened
I picked one of these up a few days ago as a stocking stuffer for the wife. Of course I had to try it out for her first. I left it running with an Energizer NIMH rated 850 mah (LaCrosse charger tests it at about 680) and got about 1.5 hours of bright light before it started to noticeably dim. No idea how long it goes after that though.

As far as quality, it is a little lacking. The lanyard chain feels like it would break in a matter of months on a keychain. Otherwise it feels like a good cheap stocking present.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I picked one up today,seems like a EO clone,

Seems more E1-ish to me, as it uses the Nichia Power LED and not a 5mm CS. I suspect similar brightness with less runtime (hard to beat the efficiency of the Fenix circuit on a knockoff budget).

DaveG

Enlightened
Seems more E1-ish to me, as it uses the Nichia Power LED and not a 5mm CS. I suspect similar brightness with less runtime (hard to beat the efficiency of the Fenix circuit on a knockoff budget).
Right on that,got my E1 and EO confused.E1 for sure.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I just discovered that Fenix seems to have no more of the popular E1 showing on their site and I am looking for something similiar. Is it true that this Brookstone light does indeed use the same emitter as the E1 or is it some form of cheap clone? I may purchase one however this time of year really hate to visit our crowded mall however would do so if I knew this light used a genuine E1 type emitter....anyone have any photos??

SuperNinja

Enlightened
:lolsign:
From my experience, most of the people that work at brookstone are just salespeople, and don't have extensive knowledge of the things they sell.

At least once, I have wasted my time asking one of their employees questions about one of their items. (A Fisher space pen)
I felt like I would have been more informed if I asked those questions to a brick wall. :twak:

I actually had more knowledge about the item than she did. After I told her what was different about the pen, she actually tried to downplay the significance/usefulness of that pens primary selling points. :shakehead

Marduke

Flashaholic
I just discovered that Fenix seems to have no more of the popular E1 showing on their site and I am looking for something similiar. Is it true that this Brookstone light does indeed use the same emitter as the E1 or is it some form of cheap clone? I may purchase one however this time of year really hate to visit our crowded mall however would do so if I knew this light used a genuine E1 type emitter....anyone have any photos??

It looks like a genuine Nichia Power LED to me, but I only held one for 5 minutes.

Ayeaux

Newly Enlightened
Here's some pics.

DSC01748.jpg

DSC01749.jpg

Robocop

I missed out on the last of the Fenix lights with this style emitter so today I bought 2 of these at Brookstone for 25 dollars total. I was suprised at the output as both had good tint as well as beam quality. I bought 2 as I intend to keep one as is and try a mod with the second one using either a Seoul, Or Cree, or maybe even a nice 3 watt Luxeon.....has anyone tried to dis assemble one of these yet?

I have been busy tonight and have yet to really look at how it is put together. I may try to use this light as a host for the internals of one of my Kai Buckle lights. Not a bad light at all for the cost but it is a little less rugged than the Fenix....maybe it will make a good host and I am curious if anyone has attempted to remove the circuit and if so how difficult was it?

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing that may be different between this light and the Fenix E1 is the electronics. The Fenix E1 was unique in that it was constant current drive and provided ruler flat regulation even on alkaline cell. I do not know of any AAA lights out there that had this type of regulation. Lights like the Arc (semi-regulation)and LOD (PWM) do not have constant current regulation like the E1.

sawlight

Enlightened
I bought one about a week ago. WOW is the thing bright for what it is!! Pretty even with my Novtac at 10 lumens. Decent beam shape, lots of artifacts, but it's cheap.
I thought I would like it on my keychain. I played with it a couple of days and decided that it wouldn't last very long for me.
The anno. is soft and thin, the alum is VERY soft, and the clip it comes with is, well usless in a jeans pocket!!
I decided to give it to my MIL to replace the Solitare she wanted a couple of years ago. It will be great for her! Very bright, should be a decent run time (I failed you there, sorry) and a nice life in her purse.
It's a nice little light for the price, and I doubt you can find something much beter for the money new. But it wouldn't last long with my abuse!

DaveG

Enlightened
I ended up with three of them,one picked up before the holidays and two more after Christmas.I was impressed with the output of my first one so I picked up two more.For the price not bad,not up to the standards of the higher priced lights for sure.

Robocop

Highlight I have 4 Arc AAA lights and yes this Brookstone is much brighter than any of my Arc lights however it is not even close in quality. If I had to choose an EDC I would easily choose the Arc simply for the reputation and known toughness.

I often buy cheaper small lights simply for the fun of modding them and have many lights that I use as a host for other internals. I bought these with the sole intention of modding one to something else however really was suprised with the output....very bright for what it is but again there is much more to a light than sheer output.

I can quickly see the body is very thin however the threads do seem to be solid and thus far it has shown to be water resistant. It is obviously a cheaper made product but for simple fun it is a nice light to play with.