Are fenix ligts really all that good?

Daylo

Newly Enlightened
Before I upset any Fenix fans I do want to state that I am asking this question out of ignorance (I don't currently own any Fenix products) and am curious to CPFer's opinions. I see Fenix products recommended a lot but have heard about reliability issues as well. At the moment I own a few Surefires, Inovas, and a Novatac and they are all rock solid performers and American made (I am very biased to buying American made products). I did break down and order a Fenix T1 (feeling a little guilty, made in China) as the specs look pretty kick butt for the price and it sure sounds like build quality should be pretty good. I guess I generally feel that if the stuff hits the fan, I'll be glad I dropped a little extra green for a Surefire.Do you guys that own and recommend Fenix lights like them for their form factor, output, value, reliability, etc?

Last edited:

p1fiend

Newly Enlightened
I see Fenix products recommended a lot but have heard about reliability issues as well. At the moment I own several Surefires...

After a year of EDC'ing an L2T, using and abusing it, I trust Fenix lights.

I've heard much more about Surefire reliability (tailcap & clickies) than Fenix problems.:shrug:

I bought my Fenix because it was small, bright, plain, and priced reasonably.

Also: 'Made in America" gets a meh from me. I see American products as usually more expensive and less innovative. Chinese companies push out newer ideas quicker and also don't typically pass off "R&D" costs to consumers, which should never be done.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Do you guys that own and recommend Fenix lights like them for their form factor, output, value, reliability, etc?

In general, I feel they are a good bang for the buck. They generally use very efficient circuits, the latest emitters, and tend to respond to what consumers (and CPF opinion/pressure) want without too much of a time lag. For the most part, I haven't heard any more issues with them than any other brand out there. Every brand can have duds every now and then that you hear about, spare no manufacturer out there.

Daylo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input guys. P1fiend, I agree with your comment on the SF clickies, had one go bad on an E1L, I prefer the twist tailcaps myself.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Never had a problem with any of my Fenix lights, and will undoubtedly buy more. Also, the fenix-store.com is an excellent place to shop.

Geoff

liveforphysics

Enlightened
Surefire lights always feel thicker and heavier, however, I've had two of them fail on me. I've put my LOD CE's and my P1D CE's through a whole lot of abuse, including loosing one in the washing machine for a couple of weeks just floating around for many laundry cycles... Never had a single problem with one.

Mike89

Enlightened
For my own use, Fenix is the best. Good value for the dollar comparitively speaking. I wouldn't trade my P3D or P3D Q5. The term pocket rocket fits these lights well, light output is incredible.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have all kinds of lights, but my main EDC that is always with me is a Fenix P2D. I've dropped it on hard tile floor, no problems other than maybe a slight ding on the finish, but even my Surefire E2e has dings on it, and I don't remember dropping it, but I may have.

It may not be something to go to war with, or use as a main duty light as a cop, although it would be a great back up.

For anyone who just wants a small, bright, quality light, Fenix is fine.

Also www.fenix-store.com is a great company to deal with, and run by good people. The lights maybe coming from China, but when you buy from fenix-store, or other US Fenix dealers, you are supporting an American company. Also the LEDs in the Fenix lights were made by an American company, CREE, or Phillips Lumileds if you get one with a Rebel emitter.

carrot

Flashaholic
IMO the Fenix lights might not be as reliable as (insert favorite tactical brand here) but they are certainly very serviceable and reported problems are somewhat rare. They are priced well and Fenix tries very hard to meet the wants and whims of CPFers. They came to the scene with the impressive L1P, bringing exactly what CPF wanted at the time, which was a good Luxeon 1AA light. Then when the Crees came out they were right behind McGizmo in offering Cree-based lights, and since then they have continued to innovate and gradually refine their offerings.

PayBack

Enlightened
My EDC is a P1D CE and whenever I go out and do beamshots I take that too.. and even when comparing to a supposed 500 lumen Ultrafire or long range Tiablo A8 I'm still amazed at how much light the little Fenix puts out and far it puts it out to, for it's size.

It's 21 hour low is enough to see by and light a room enough to get around when roof bouncing, and the medium and high still impress me for output and throw for a small light.

I'll certainly be getting more.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have four Surefires and nine Fenixes and I have had no problems with either brand.

Fenix lights are well made for the price and my impression (which is not a criticism) is that they squeeze the maximum output from the LED regardless of the beam's quality and cleanliness. In a world where throw is regarded as the best feature of a flashlight they are totally right. Other brands like for instance Lumapower sacrifice some throw in favour of a better beam.

It is then a matter of personal choice, if you like throw go for a Fenix, if you prefer a smooth and clean beam an SF L1 CREE gives you exactly that.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input guys. P1fiend, I agree with your comment on the SF clickies, had one go bad on an E1L, I prefer the twist tailcaps myself.

E1L - same happened to me (only SF failure i've ever experienced). however, it was a trivial matter to disassemble the tail cap and get the clickie working again. haven't had any problem with it since.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Are fenix lights really all that good?

D,

over a dozen SF's in my stable of lights and i'd be embarrassed to say how many Fenix lights (at least two of every Cree edition that they make, including reflector types, i.e. SMO and OP, and emitter bins, plus multiple colors in several models, and also two each of the diminutive E0 and E1 twisties). also, own two 120P's.

only one SF failure (please see my previous post) and no Fenix failures - YMMV.

Fenix is, IMO, an excellent value, quite bright even considering the torch vs. bulb lumens debate. While SF has some multiple output mode lights (A2, U2, L2, L1 , Kroma, Mil-Std Kroma, 9AN, 10x Dominator, and Titan - just to name a few), if you need fancy strobes and flashing together with multiple output levels, Fenix is the way to go.

When using the lights, Fenix doesn't seem to have quite the same intangible "feeling", so to speak for lack of a better term in my rather limited vocabulary, that SF seems have (to me, at least). There's just something about holding and using a SF light (the heft and weight of it might be part of that intangible use factor - it just plain feels good in the hand). Clearly, IMO, this last comment is NOT the most important aspect of using a light.

IMO, having used both brands on a near daily basis, both brands a worthy of owning and using.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a Fenix fan, but for the price it is one of the best choices you can make. Their circuits are hard to beat and they keep up in the newest LED race better than anyone else. There are beefier lights out there and ones with more fancy options, but again for the price... :thumbsup:

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a cop, soldier, or a wannabe of either variety, don't feel the need for a flashlight to gouge, beat, or blind people with, and don't otherwise have any professional daily use for a flashlight. My interest is primarily technical and educational, as a hobby, and my only real routine use for a flashlight is backpacking. I haven't bought any lights made by Surefire or their direct high-end competitors.

That said, I have gotten and played with quite a large number of lights ranging from the next step down from the pro lights, to the cheapest Chinese lights. And I've gotten a real liking for Fenix. They just consistently hit, for me, the best combination of features, user interface, size, and brightness, all with adequate-or-better quality and reasonable price. I've never gotten a Fenix light I don't like, and I don't believe I've gotten any light which directly competes with a particular Fenix model that I haven't eventually put on the shelf for one reason or another in favor of the Fenix. I like Fenix for one other reason, too -- I've always gotten superb service and customer support from Fenix-Store.

I've never had a problem with a Fenix light except loose threads on an early P1D CE (which Fenix-Store immediately replaced), but then again I don't use one day in and day out. Having a light go out isn't a life-or-death matter for me anyway, since I've just about always got a couple more in my pocket. People who use lights very differently from the way I do would surely base their choices on other criteria. But for me and my casual use, Fenix is hard to beat.

c_c

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Fenix lights are better than average. good value, and have good people backing and pushing them. 4Sevens is a great guy to do business with and he alone has had much to do with the success of Fenix......

I personally very much like Fenix simply because I believe they listen to us here at CPF. It is almost as if we have our own personal light company churning out our ideas very quickly. I remember when no other maker wanted to try the AAA / Luxeon form factor on a mass production scale. I watched as we all here asked for it however no one either could make it or simply did not wish to take a chance on it. Fenix responded with a winner and guess what.....they sold like crazy.

The rest for me has been history....I have many Fenix lights and I will support them because they have the ability to make lots of lights at a decent quality and cost and most of their products I very much like. Thus far I have had no mechanical failures of any of their lights however even if I did I would still support them......why ?...because their dealer is an honest guy and I like the companies policies of keeping us first. Their shipping is very quick and their return/warranty policy seems to be excellent as well.

How many of Fenix lights were first to market simply because they listened to us and had the means to offer different models very quickly? Battery types, smooth or textured reflectors, various modes, clicky or twisty.....it did not seem to matter to them what we asked for they usually delivered.

To sum it up Fenix makes good lights I believe and will continue to be a major player. Many of us like Fenix for various other reasons than performance so to answer your question I do believe Fenix lights are really that good.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was clearly remiss in not mentioning what IMO is a very impt. point. Thanks to c_c and Robo for bringing it up. The Cust. Srv. of 4-7's is clearly top-shelf and in and of itself is reason alone to give a Fenix light a try if one is at all curious about them.

I should also add that LumaPower is another brand worthy of consideration. Perhaps, in the technology arena, mid-way between SF and Fenix. More specifically, a quality light with a more robust "feel", using latest technology emitters, but with, generally, a simpler programming/UI than Fenix. Hence, my description of mid-way b/t SF and Fenix (some might say, the best of both brands).

kooter

Enlightened
I own a dozen or so Surefires, but i always prefer to carry my P1D CE with a body that i made, and Surefire clicky. The P1 is brighter when needed, and has multi levels. The Surefires are better quality without doubt, but my P1D suits my needs so well.

DSC00506.jpg

MartinSE

Newly Enlightened
Oi Oi, chaps!

I've never handled a surefire but I would love to try some out. I have had Inova (x1) and HDS (U60) and Fenix (p3d, p2d) though and the quality of the fenix lights feels much lesser than of the other two brands but the performance is awesome, especially the p3d. The small size is very nice too. It really sucks goat the p2d won't work properly with regular rechargeables though, pathetic! Also the anodizing (I've only seen black) is not very durable. I've read somewhere on the internet(!) the grey ones are better.

Very nice performance. I don't like the interface very much and I miss higher quality and solidness but I also realize that if it was sturdier with thicker aluminium walls it would be larger, heavier and more expensive. Price is OK, not expensive but I certainly don't think they are unusually good value. You get about what you pay for which is reasonable.

My p3d has an unusually nice tint and is very good and all but I'm going to sell it in favour of my deree cl1h. It's bulkier and has less features but I prefer heavy, solid quality.

That's what I think, anyway, cheers!

Last edited: