Presenter's Dilemma: No Light on the Podium, Dark Room, Can't See Notes

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's my dilemma. Sometimes I have to present in a darkened room (for hours...non-memorized presentations), and I can't see my notes. Usually there is a podium, sometimes you get lucky and there's two levels (small top shelf, larger bottom shelf for notes) and sometimes you just get a single surface (flat or tilted) to lay your notes on.

So what I need is:
- small robust LED flashlight (usually travel w/o checking luggage, so must be TSA friendly)
- that can stand stable on a flat or tilted surface, and
- can shine (or point) downward...*** important, the light must not shine up into my eyes*** so the light must be at minimum modifiable so it shines out and/or down but not up.
- runs on one or (max) two AAs preferably (as all my travel gear is AA)
- can run many hours.
- Small footprint that doesn't crowd the podium.
- Light amount need not be much. I tested my L2D on low with a diffuser and it would work.

The L2D with a modified diffuser is my backup option if I can't find something better...although I dread the twitters from the audience when they see my L2D with its...ahem...diffuser in place...my wife says "Don't you dare use that in front of an audience if you want to be taken seriously!" and she's right.

One idea I'm playing with is a glo-toob, but it doesn't take AAs. (Does it send light up the top, or just out the sides?)

Other ideas?

Last edited:

Lumenz

Enlightened
How about one of those book lights that have a clip on one side and a bendable neck so you can position the light?

LINK

HWman

Newly Enlightened
Eveready makes a folding 2 LED light that uses 4AA batteries [IIRC]. When closed, a clear plastic covered white compartment faces outward. It contains two translucent tubes that each have a white LED at the end. When either of the LEDs is turned on, it "looks like" a small fluorescent tube. It will unfold (about 225 degrees) so the LEDs go from the side position to pointing downwards.

There is a folding plastic hook that also serves as an extension to the narrow base (to make it marginally more stable). The unit may be difficult to stand up on a tilted table because the base is rather narrow and slippery.

It is a little larger than you specified, but it will serve the purpose very well for the price (about $8 at Target displayed near the house hold light bulbs and timers, not near the flashlights and carbon monoxide detectors). I can't locate one of them and the other one is in the guest-room where someone is sleeping over for the first time in over a decade so I can't get to it...

I bought two of them at Walmart about seven years ago. They have been updated a little since then (I don't remember exactly how).

I couldn't find a product number or website info, www.eveready.com is a joke [It's very pretty. Pretty un-useful that is.]

I did find this image (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21SBRH1M16L.jpg), but the product description was for a 4D fluorescent folding lamp.

I know there are CPF threads about it...

Ooops! I forgot...
http://home.att.net/~ledmuseum/ledleft.htm

Thanks to Craig Johnson.

There should be something better, but this is available in local stores (as of this month at Target).

Good luck.

P.S. - You could always set your laptop to a white screen and use that as a light!

pec50

Enlightened
Although not exactly meeting your desired wishlist, I use a photon freedom. The small size, pivot-able clip-on mount, and adjustable light level make this a great unit for this purpose. I get many hours of use when the light level is lowered.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cannot remember who makes them, but will try and find one, but, there used to be a small LED light that fit on a finger rather like a ring. It was made specifically for Stealth pilots to use during flight, or so it was marketed in Brigade Quartermasters (if I remember the catalog right). It was small, focused, and unobtrusive, it might be what you are looking for.

Will try and find one to shw what I mean.

uh1c

Newly Enlightened
+1 on the "book light". One on your finger may be distracting to you and your audience. I found the photon or fauxton to be too much glare...I like to see how many folks are walking out of my lectures. :)

Last edited:

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
probably for reading purposes the Everready reading mentioned earlier would be good.

in the flashlight formfactor, there is also the new Streamlight Sidewinder, which has a head that can swivel to give different angles - from the pics (I do not have one as yet) it looks as if it could also swing in a downward angle. The range of angle is given as 185 degrees.

Pic below from Streamlight website:

streamlight-flashlights_1973_78922

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as you have it on "low" and point it down, away from your eyes.

I love it! Meets all my stated criteria: small LED, lightweight, runs on one or two AAs, dim light that would never blind me, tiny footprint so it doesn't crowd the podium, TSA would never give it a second glance in my carry-on luggage. Excellent! :poke:

Seriously, folks, many excellent suggestions above and I thank you all. I am going through the list and running scenarios. Several of these would work. Now to select just one or two...

Last edited:

LEDite

Enlightened
Bolster;

This style would work effectively:

SPL-08.jpg

I put a lithium-ion rectangular cell in mine.

At $3.95, it's a good value.

Larry

Brody

Newly Enlightened
A light that may work for you is a pelican VB3. It is a light meant to clip into a shirt pocket and shine onto maps or paperwork in front of you. While it does not use AA batteries, each set of batteries will provide quite a few hours of light.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mighty Brite that Lumenz linked to meets most of your requirements and may be the most suitable. I have one and it will illuminate an entire page with a smooth, soft, beam. It takes 3AAA but draws little current and so provides long RT. It will sit on a flat surface for hobby use or clip to a thick or thin book or document. The spiral, metal, neck is easily adjustable and strong. I like mine; it compares very well against others.

Fargus

Newly Enlightened
I found the photon or fauxton to be too much glare...I like to see how many folks are walking out of my lectures. :)

No glare at all if you buy the covert (LRI) or Doug Ritter edition of the Freedom. Comes with an anti-spill sleeve that pretty much eliminates the glare associated with coin lights and their usually exposed LED. Also, you can ramp the level up or down to a comfortable output.