Malkoff        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Presenter's Dilemma: No Light on the Podium, Dark Room, Can't See Notes

Default Presenter's Dilemma: No Light on the Podium, Dark Room, Can't See Notes

That's my dilemma. Sometimes I have to present in a darkened room (for hours...non-memorized presentations), and I can't see my notes. Usually there is a podium, sometimes you get lucky and there's two levels (small top shelf, larger bottom shelf for notes) and sometimes you just get a single surface (flat or tilted) to lay your notes on.

So what I need is:
    - small robust LED flashlight (usually travel w/o checking luggage, so must be TSA friendly)
    - that can stand stable on a flat or tilted surface, and
    - can shine (or point) downward...*** important, the light must not shine up into my eyes*** so the light must be at minimum modifiable so it shines out and/or down but not up.
    - runs on one or (max) two AAs preferably (as all my travel gear is AA)
    - can run many hours.
    - Small footprint that doesn't crowd the podium.
    - Light amount need not be much. I tested my L2D on low with a diffuser and it would work.

The L2D with a modified diffuser is my backup option if I can't find something better...although I dread the twitters from the audience when they see my L2D with its...ahem...diffuser in place...my wife says "Don't you dare use that in front of an audience if you want to be taken seriously!" and she's right.

One idea I'm playing with is a glo-toob, but it doesn't take AAs. (Does it send light up the top, or just out the sides?)

Other ideas?
    Last edited by Bolster; 11-24-2007 at 05:15 PM.

Default Re: Presenter's Dilemma: No Light on the Podium, Dark Room, Can't See Notes

get the zebralight at:

http://www.zebralight.com/

Incand: Surefire A2-HA-WH/9P-_FM-D26-WA1164, FM-2x18500-WA1111, Mag11, Mag85-FM3V, Mag61, Mag275 /// LED: Surefire 6P-_Malkoff MC-E/6P-_Q3-5A/6P-_Q2-5A/C2-BK-UV/G2-_Q4-5B/G2Z-M60R2, Arc-AAA 375nm UV /// HID: Acro A3100, Havis-Shield

Default Re: Presenter's Dilemma: No Light on the Podium, Dark Room, Can't See Notes

How about one of those book lights that have a clip on one side and a bendable neck so you can position the light?

LINK

Enlightened

Eveready makes a folding 2 LED light that uses 4AA batteries [IIRC]. When closed, a clear plastic covered white compartment faces outward. It contains two translucent tubes that each have a white LED at the end. When either of the LEDs is turned on, it "looks like" a small fluorescent tube. It will unfold (about 225 degrees) so the LEDs go from the side position to pointing downwards.

There is a folding plastic hook that also serves as an extension to the narrow base (to make it marginally more stable). The unit may be difficult to stand up on a tilted table because the base is rather narrow and slippery.

It is a little larger than you specified, but it will serve the purpose very well for the price (about $8 at Target displayed near the house hold light bulbs and timers, not near the flashlights and carbon monoxide detectors). I can't locate one of them and the other one is in the guest-room where someone is sleeping over for the first time in over a decade so I can't get to it...

I bought two of them at Walmart about seven years ago. They have been updated a little since then (I don't remember exactly how).

I couldn't find a product number or website info, www.eveready.com is a joke [It's very pretty. Pretty un-useful that is.]

I did find this image (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21SBRH1M16L.jpg), but the product description was for a 4D fluorescent folding lamp.

I know there are CPF threads about it...

Ooops! I forgot...
    http://home.att.net/~ledmuseum/ledleft.htm

Thanks to Craig Johnson.

There should be something better, but this is available in local stores (as of this month at Target).

Good luck.

P.S. - You could always set your laptop to a white screen and use that as a light!

Coast Digi-Tac II (TT7848CP), Coast (TT7547WMCP), CMG Infinity, Dorcy LED Super 1 Watt 3D, Fenix LD01, LD10, LD20, Inova X1 Tiros, X5, XO3 Tiros, Lightwave 4000 3D, MagLED 3D,4D, PT EOS, Rayovac SX300 lantern, RR 1.5 watt 2AA,

Flashaholic*

How about "LED FINGER LIGHT"?

Flashaholic

Although not exactly meeting your desired wishlist, I use a photon freedom. The small size, pivot-able clip-on mount, and adjustable light level make this a great unit for this purpose. I get many hours of use when the light level is lowered.

Flashaholic*

I cannot remember who makes them, but will try and find one, but, there used to be a small LED light that fit on a finger rather like a ring. It was made specifically for Stealth pilots to use during flight, or so it was marketed in Brigade Quartermasters (if I remember the catalog right). It was small, focused, and unobtrusive, it might be what you are looking for.

Will try and find one to shw what I mean.
    Lee

Life is too important to be taken seriously: Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by pec50 View Post
    Although not exactly meeting your desired wishlist, I use a photon freedom.
    +1

Plus it has many uses outside the desired criteria. Very adaptable light.

+1 on the "book light". One on your finger may be distracting to you and your audience. I found the photon or fauxton to be too much glare...I like to see how many folks are walking out of my lectures.
    Last edited by uh1c; 11-24-2007 at 09:23 AM. Reason: got jokes?
    "Many a man in love with a dimple makes a mistake of marrying the whole girl." Stephen Leacock

Something like the Light Wedge?

Wouldn't work if you have to flip the page though.

The Zebralight on low might be a good idea.

probably for reading purposes the Everready reading mentioned earlier would be good.

in the flashlight formfactor, there is also the new Streamlight Sidewinder, which has a head that can swivel to give different angles - from the pics (I do not have one as yet) it looks as if it could also swing in a downward angle. The range of angle is given as 185 degrees.

Pic below from Streamlight website:

Enlightened

I think this might work for you: http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?...emType=PRODUCT

"The Battery Powered model draws power from 3 standard AA batteries (not supplied). Its aluminum base is 1-3/8 x 7-3/4" in size."

Last edited by JML; 11-24-2007 at 10:32 AM.
    ** EagleTac D25C, D25LC2, & G25C2 Mk. II ** JETBeam Element E3S, Jet-III Pro ST-BVC, Jet-III Military, RRT-01, & RRT-2 Raptor ** Olight Titanium Infinitum #62 (Polished) ** Sunwayman V10R Ti, V20C, & V25C**

Flashaholic

As long as you have it on "low" and point it down, away from your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by slvoid View Post
    As long as you have it on "low" and point it down, away from your eyes.
    I love it! Meets all my stated criteria: small LED, lightweight, runs on one or two AAs, dim light that would never blind me, tiny footprint so it doesn't crowd the podium, TSA would never give it a second glance in my carry-on luggage. Excellent!

Seriously, folks, many excellent suggestions above and I thank you all. I am going through the list and running scenarios. Several of these would work. Now to select just one or two...
    Last edited by Bolster; 11-24-2007 at 05:19 PM.

Flashaholic

Bolster;

This style would work effectively:

I put a lithium-ion rectangular cell in mine.

At $3.95, it's a good value.

Larry
    Producing 108W UV AC Lights, 9W Handheld UV Lights

Flashaholic

A light that may work for you is a pelican VB3. It is a light meant to clip into a shirt pocket and shine onto maps or paperwork in front of you. While it does not use AA batteries, each set of batteries will provide quite a few hours of light.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6920

or you could go with a USB powered LED and carry a AA usb powersouce like the ones you can find at wally world.

but that set up might be more bulky than it's worth.

Flashaholic*

The Mighty Brite that Lumenz linked to meets most of your requirements and may be the most suitable. I have one and it will illuminate an entire page with a smooth, soft, beam. It takes 3AAA but draws little current and so provides long RT. It will sit on a flat surface for hobby use or clip to a thick or thin book or document. The spiral, metal, neck is easily adjustable and strong. I like mine; it compares very well against others.
    I'm absolutely certain that I need another flashlight.

Quote Originally Posted by uh1c View Post
    I found the photon or fauxton to be too much glare...I like to see how many folks are walking out of my lectures.
    No glare at all if you buy the covert (LRI) or Doug Ritter edition of the Freedom. Comes with an anti-spill sleeve that pretty much eliminates the glare associated with coin lights and their usually exposed LED. Also, you can ramp the level up or down to a comfortable output.

Enlightened

Energizer folding LED lantern. I have a couple of those and as a test I left one turned on low 24 hours a day and it lasted over a week and still had some light. Small enough to fit in your shirt pocket and you can adjust it so the light doesn't get in your eyes.

Just stick a couple silicone pads on the bottom and it shouldn't slide on a tilted surface.

Here's a link to one. I got mine from target for 3.99 each.

http://www.alpharubicon.com/warlord/...EDmamabear.htm
    Last edited by IdiotsAbound; 11-25-2007 at 09:56 AM.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by HWman View Post
    Eveready makes a folding 2 LED light that uses 4AA batteries [IIRC]. When closed, a clear plastic covered white compartment faces outward. It contains two translucent tubes that each have a white LED at the end. When either of the LEDs is turned on, it "looks like" a small fluorescent tube. It will unfold (about 225 degrees) so the LEDs go from the side position to pointing downwards.

There is a folding plastic hook that also serves as an extension to the narrow base (to make it marginally more stable). The unit may be difficult to stand up on a tilted table because the base is rather narrow and slippery.

That was Energizer that made these, not Eveready.

lots of great suggestions in this thread.

There's always the quiglite. You wear it in your shirt pocket.

Enlightened

How about this stand with a keychain led http://www.photonlight.com/All-Photo...ories-s/56.htm
    Flexbeam Lighting System - Stand Only Price: $15.95

Just add any Photon light to this versatile, flexible stand to create a handy light that can be mounted just about anywhere to provide hands-free illumination of your work area.

combine with a or try to make a generic key chain light such as the one from lighthound work with the stand. ( I don't know how it would fit, but you likely can just tape it on )

Your Price $0.99
    Last edited by frankr; 11-25-2007 at 11:16 AM.

Flashaholic*

Unless micro size is of maximum importance, avoid coin cell lights. The cost, frequency and, relative, difficulty of cell replacement makes them poor choices for Bolster's stated use. To each one's own, but for my needs, coin cell lights are best as emergency/quick, convenient key chain lights.

IdiotsAbound's suggestion might be a winner for longer RT if the size is OK and it's not TOO bright and the beam is smooth enough. Alks or NiMH should be OK, I'd imagine.

The Mighty Bright uses one small LED with a well designed lens to evenly disperse the rather low, but adequate, level of light. The MB is quite unobtrusive. Alks or NiMH are both OK for this light.

Buy both because the Energizer and MB may be complementary, inexpensive and good for different occasions.
    Last edited by jayflash; 11-26-2007 at 10:09 AM. Reason: To correct the product's name.

Quote Originally Posted by jayflash View Post
    Unless micro size is of maximum importance, avoid coin cell lights. The cost, frequency and, relative, difficulty of cell replacement makes them poor choices for Bolster's stated use.
    Good point, Jayflash. I realize there are many folks who are interested in this thread for their own reasons, and I realize they don't have my list of requirements, so the abundance and diversity of responses is a good thing, and my thanks to all for the cumulative genius applied to solve the problem.

However, many of the otherwise excellent suggestions in this thread don't meet the basic requirement of 1 or 2 AA cells. That requirement is because (1) I must keep bulk to a minimum (carry-on luggage only, and it's already pretty darn full) and (2) all my other travel kit takes AAs, so similar cells would allow redundancy in case of drained cells.

Some suggestions do fit the AA requirement, however, and those I'm looking at very very closely.

What is a MicroBrite? When I google this I get tooth powder!
    Last edited by Bolster; 11-25-2007 at 06:35 PM.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Bolster View Post
    However, many of the otherwise excellent suggestions in this thread don't meet the basic requirement of 1 or 2 AA cells. That requirement is because (1) I must keep bulk to a minimum (carry-on luggage only, and it's already pretty darn full) and (2) all my other travel kit takes AAs, so similar cells would allow redundancy in case of drained cells.

Some suggestions do fit the AA requirement, however, and those I'm looking at very very closely.
    Since you only want 1 or 2 AA cells, a modified Energizer folding lantern I mentioned above would fit the bill. It's no bigger than a small cigarette pack and from what I can see in mine, it wouldn't take much to modify it to run on just one or 2 AA cells at the expense of runtime and it definitely would run for several hours on just one AA, enough time for you to finish your lecture. The other 2 or 3 slots in the battery compartment could be used to hold spare AA cells.

So you not only get a small, compact, and pocketable light, you also get a spare battery case as well. I should also mention that this light has a hi/low switch.

A review can be seen here, you can see how small it is in the reviewer's hand: http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/ener2.htm

That's a persuasive argument. I'm actively looking for this light. It's not in our local Target, so I'll check the WalMart a couple towns over. Thanks for the explanation that it can be run on fewer cells. If you get a moment, fill me in on the details of using fewer cells...dummies?

Flashaholic*

Bolster, I'm sorry but I goofed on the name. The proper name, like Lumenz, originally posted is; Mighty Bright. See it at mightybright.com

It consumes 40mA from three AAA cells which may not be as favorable as some other AA recommendations you've received. IdiotsAbound's idea seems like a good one and that item is cheaper than the MB. Lots of good products mentioned in this thread; it may be hard to decide.

Would also work great for spotlighting anyone leaving - "And just where do you think you're going?"

PS: In order for this to make sense, you have to know that it was in response to #14 - I thought it would echo the picture here.
    Last edited by Timothybil; 11-26-2007 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Clarification

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast