How do I get a passport?

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know? I will be traveling through a forign and alien world in June (Canada /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

Anyway, while I have been to Canada several times before, and all I needed was my Texas Driver's license, My dad wants me to get a passport this time.

So, how do I go about doing this?

Thanks for your help.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think all you have to do is go to any Post Office and get the passport applcation form, get the appropriate passport photo taken, and follow the directions on the form.

-Keith

Greta

Flashaholic
Hmmm... our post office doesn't have the forms. We have to go to the courthouse. Bruce, do it online through the link that logicnerd provided or do a search for passports. It's quick and easy and safe. You can get your picture taken at any professional photographer or save yourself some money and most Walgreens do it now too.

Your dad is smart... you should have a passport nowadays if you are going anywhere outside the U.S borders.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
AAA also takes the pictures.

I am not so concerned about getting into a foreign country as I am about getting out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW, thanks for all the quick replies!

Logicnerd, THANKS for the link. Very valuable!

Sasha, for a FIRST TIME application, you have to apply in person. Can't apply online or via mail.

But I did print out the form, called my dad to get my birth certificate, and will have it all filled out before going to the post office.

With this time of uncertainty and all the world turmoil, I am a little afraid of visiting forigen soil (CANADA!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif)

AllenInHouston

Newly Enlightened
I got mine about 4 years ago. Make sure that the birth certificate is the "real" one and not the thing from the hospital. I took the "footprint" one to the PO for my passport and they told me to go get the state issued birth certificate. Luckily I was born in this state (TX) so I just had to go to the office by the county courthouse (I forgot what it's called). I showed them my DL, answered a few questions and gave them some money ($15?), and I had a birth certificate. It was wayyyyy too easy in my opinion - I'm hoping that they've made it a little more involved since then.

Allen

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is also the battery of International Immunizations you have to get. A passport is an Indentification and Immunization Record document. A Visa is for entry and exit for a specific Country, where time places and purpose of visit must be detailed. That is why you hear terms like Student Visa and Work Visa.

I don't know if Canada has a distance from point of entry limit for US Citizens, without Visa. So you better check on that, as well.

Greta

Flashaholic
It's the office of vital statistics... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif And what you want is the birth certificate with a raised seal on it. It can be a copy but it has to be a certified copy. (raised seal)

Strange Brew... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif You hoser, eh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
In England you have to apply for one using a form available from the Post Office, along with your real birth certificate (Photocopies not acceptable).
I also had to get a reference from someone in authority to verify my credentials. This can be a Pastor, works manager, or a policeman, and they will have had to have known you for at leaat 2 years.)
This is basically to verify that you are who you say you are!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I used to think I wanted to visit Australia someday....

You couldn't force me out of the USA now even with a crow bar!!!

Hell, I might not even leave Texas again!

(Nah, gotta go to Oklahoma at least for road racing - maybe Louisiana too...)

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
JoeShmoe,

While I LOVE TEXAS, there is a LOT of good stuff to see in the rest of the US.

You haven't been to a beach until you have been to Cape Cod.
And, New England in general, is awesom in the Spring and Fall, and nice in the Winter, when you are on vacation, and in the snow. Glad I don't have to deal with snow on work days!

Sasha and everyone else,

Well, I called my Dad, and he has my original birth certificate, as well as a certified and embossed copy that he got in 1983, so I guess that means that I am officially born!

Where am I going? My Dad has taken two cruises to Alaska, and he has no special someone to go with (Mom passed away), and he wants to go again, and it will cost the same weather he takes me or not, so he has invited me along.

We are going on Norweigian Cruise lines, and I hear that is one of the nicest cruise ships around.

I will be flying into Seattle myself on Friday afternoon, and will spend the weekend in Seattle, without my Dad, to see what exciting is in Seattle.

We leave on Sunday for the Cruise.

Lighthouse

Enlightened
BuddTX,
While on your layover in Seattle, you might look up Craig. Hey, you could call it the official CPF NW US GT. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif